1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Attribute of God's Love

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ray Berrian, Dec 15, 2004.

1. David Hethorn

David Hethorn New Member

To say that my car is red, means that red is my car? </font>[/QUOTE]Kind sir, Let me remind you that to say my car is red and that red is my car is false logic based on a falst premise. My car is also red but my car is not your car.

You might have red Ford or Chevy, and mine a Dodge but red is not your car, it is only a discription or ATTRIBUTE of your car

A debtor to grace,
    Dave

2. David Hethorn

David Hethorn New Member

Dear Brother Bridges,

You might well read John Gill's Body of Divinity on the subject

A debtor to grace,
    dave

3. whatever

whatever New Member

To say that my car is red, means that red is my car? </font>[/QUOTE]Kind sir, Let me remind you that to say my car is red and that red is my car is false logic based on a falst premise. My car is also red but my car is not your car.

You might have red Ford or Chevy, and mine a Dodge but red is not your car, it is only a discription or ATTRIBUTE of your car

A debtor to grace,
    Dave
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hi Dave,

I agree - that's exactly what I was trying to get our friend Wes to see. That's why I put it in the form of a question. He is thinking that "is" means "equals", which is false as you point out.

Some people use too many words to get a point across, and some use just enough. I guess I used too few. Thanks for clarifying.

4. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

To say that my car is red, means that red is my car? </font>[/QUOTE]But your car is not God! At least I would hope that it is not your God!

My God is not love. MY GOD LOVES!

5. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Monergist;
    Since you are brave enough to suggest such a thing. I'd like to ask what makes you think that man isn't at the center of God's desires. After all He desired to create us He desired to die for us He desired to Love us. The object of God's effections is Man. His focus is set on man. Just as He is the center of all my desires. You very obviously do not understand Love at all. Love is the motivation for all that God does for man. Then you come along and suggest He thinks of Him self more than He does Man. If He did we would all be on our way to hell. After all why bother with something so unimportant as man. God has Himself He doesn't need us. Yeah Right Like I'd die for something I had no need of.
    May God Give you Light;
    Mike [​IMG]

6. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

A.W.Tozer! "Knowledge of the HOLY!"

7. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

If the whole essence of God is that he has all those things, then He cannot be love! He is God who has all those attributes. Therefore God is not love, but God does love!

8. Monergist

Monergist New Member

9. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Why do you continue to reject what scripture plainly says?

1Jo 4:8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

10. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Thank you, Dave. Oden is an Arminian, and I am not, but I do like his volume, because it is a comprehensive look at Theology Proper as it has been addressed by Scripture and the church councils of the past 2 milleniums as well. It is a good book from which to gain a very thorough synopsis of how different writers and theologians have addressed the theology of God, from Scripture, through the Trinitarian debates, into the modern day.

11. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

WesOutwest,

You said,
    I had Rev. Tozer's book as noted above and have read it. I gave it to someone else to read and keep. It was good but not overly scholastic.

12. whatever

whatever New Member

For one, there's the reason that He saved us, "so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." It's about His kindness, not about anything in us. His chief desire is to display and revel in His own greatness. And since you get immeasurable benefit from it, why does it bother you?

Man is an object of God's affections, but not "the" object.

That does not follow.

That's Paul's point when he says "God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Can you give some scriptures that show that God needs us?

13. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

I had Rev. Tozer's book as noted above and have read it. I gave it to someone else to read and keep. It was good but not overly scholastic. </font>[/QUOTE]That's your opinion Ray, and that's OK. I have seen nothing that refutes the truth contained in it!

14. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Wes, Outwest,

You said,
    I agree with you he was orthodox in his theology. Balanced is a good way to express what he has written.

15. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

God’s love is an attribute of His nature and Being, though there are many more; sorry to be first to break the news to some Christians.

16. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Very Accurately stated Ray!

I'd just like to add, that which is OF GOD is not God himself any more than that which is OF man is the man himself.

17. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Monergist;
    So what you're saying is that He worships Himself. I disagree God has no need of worshiping anything not even Him self.

Because God is so selfless He was able to sacrifice His own son. Since He is His own son it was Himself that suffered for our sins. Yet you say that He loves Him self more than He Loves us. But that isn't real Love. Love never thinks of Himself before the object of His Love.

1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

That's why you have such a poor view of God. You think He is only thinking of Him self. If what you say is true then He wouldn't be worthy of our worship. And more importantly He wouldn't be Love. Nor would He have any for us.

In fact we have been instructed to Love our wives as Christ Loved the church. That means that we should be willing to lay down our lives for our wives. Would you die for your wife?.

I don't think you understand what it must have been Like for God to give up his Sovereign power and lay down His life for us. Don't you know that Christ suffered more in three days than all the people who will ever suffer through out eternity. He was innocent yet He went to hell for you and me. What you fail to understand is that we are His glory when we willingly believe in Him as our Savior.

I find your ideas of God completely wrong, but then if you don't undertstand what Love is how can you Understand God. I don't believe you can.
    May the Son of God shine His light on you;
    Mike :(

18. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

ILUVLIGHT,

I liked the ideas in your post especially where you said, ‘So what you're saying is that He worships Himself. I disagree God has no need of worshiping anything not even Him self.’

He is self-sustaining and eternal and the angels and saints above worship Him. The idea of God worshipping Himself is foolishness.

I do not agree with some things A.A. Hodge, D.D. says in his volume “Outlines of Theology,” but he said something new that I never thought about. He said,

‘He transcends all the limitations of time and space, He knows all things in an absolutely perfect manner. {and here it comes!} He is able to effect whatsoever He wills to effect--with or without means, and with perfect facility and success.’ After reading this sentence all I could say, is Wow!

God spoke the word and created the world and the unnumbered galaxies, without anything to start with materially speaking.

I think it was on the topic on “Other Religions” that prophecynut and I were talking about eschatology, to do with the “Two Olive Trees & the Two Candlesticks” from Revelation chapter eleven. Any way this Muslim woman was driving to NYC and was on drugs and her life was going down hill fast. The Lord appeared in a bright light on the interstate and she quickly pulled off the highway. He revealed Himself to her and she gave her life to Jesus. My new acquaintance, a Syrian Christian, said that she is so excited and overwhelmed with the love that Jesus has placed in her new life.

The above example, to me, means that the Lord did not use a preacher, a tract, or a witness to the Gospel, Jesus affected His will without human means, and facilitated His own desired plan and success in the life of this woman.

From my vantage point this is a miracle.

You won't say this brother, but God is using you in your preaching and Christ is drawing in the net of lost souls. Our prayers back your endeavor in ministry. You, in this situation, is using means and that is the precious Word of God through your committed life.

19. rc

rc New Member

You men desperatly need to read "The End for Which God created the World" by Jonathan Edwards.

The chief and ultimate end of God in EVERYTHING He does is to love and glorify Himself.

20. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Have you read Revelation 20? God does more than love and glorify himself...which by the way is a human trait. We love and try to glorify ourselves and that is wrong! God alone deserves our love and all the glory!