1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Authoritive Writings

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Sep 30, 2007.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Question 2 -- if an SDA rejects Ellen White are they still Christian -

Yes - there are a signifcant number of those.

If a non-SDA does not reject Ellen White are they still a Christian? Yes they can still be a Christian even if as non-SDAs they do NOT reject Ellen White - but they are not reading their Bible very carefully for that is a self-conflicted position.

in Christ,

Bob

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Bob,

Is a person who has repented of their sins and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ still a Christian if:

1. They reject Investigative Judgement doctrine of E. White?
    2. If we reject that Baptism makes us the people of God?
    3. If we reject Saturday Sabbath observance?
    4. If we worship Christ the Lord on Sunday?
    5. If we reject the need to obey all Scriptural laws pertaining to dietary requirements and prohibitions?

Thanks.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes - non-SDAs are Christian.

Many of them are also saved.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Bob you just admitted a person can be a Christian and not keep these commandments. So why the necessity of keeping them. It can be shown through the Scriptures that they are not necessary to keep. But even if you believe they are, that is simply a matter of soul liberty. Why be bound to it, or make others bound to it? If one is a Christian without them why the necessity of them?

5. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wonderful! That answers question #1. Now the second question was which writing of EGW concerning Christian doctrine does the SDA church reject and consider was wrong?

God Bless! :thumbs:

6. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Well, Bob, your in a pickle. Consider the following:

"Sister Hall has just read me your letter to her. I am glad you are having success in selling my books; for thus you are giving to the world the light that God has given me. These books contain clear, straight, unalterable truth and they should certainly be appreciated. The instruction they contain is not of human production." Letter H-339, December 26, 1904.

"Yet now when I send you a testimony of warning and reproof, many of you declare it to be merely the opinion of Sister White. You have thereby insulted the Spirit of God. Testimonies for the Church, Vol. 5, p. 661."

Bob,

Are you insulting the Spirit of God?

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Catholics are Christian and some even saved EVEN though they break them in worshipping idols and in treating bread as though it were God.

I never argue that because Catholics do that - it means it is ok to worship idols.

"Do we then make VOID the LAW of God through faith? God forbid! In fact we ESTABLISH the Law of God" Rom 3:31.

Just at the point you seem to want to say that breaking the commandments is best?

Christ said that he who disregards His commandments and so teaches others -- is not approved.

I can not make anyone be bound to it. What I want or think does not bind anyone.

WE all have to Walk by the Spirit (Rom 8) and He is "the Spirit of Truth" John 16 - who leads into ALL truth.

Christ said "I AM the way the TRUTH and the LIFE" -

Those who LOVE Christ will LOVE His scripture - His truth and will love to follow it EVEN if it means accepting Rom 3:31.

All I am doing is proclaiming the truth of scripture - people are free to do with it as they please.

in Christ,

Bob

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why do they NEED to do that?

ALL of my posts are fallible but ALL are correct.

In Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Not sure why you guys want to play this game -- who has been SDA longer "you or me"???

you can't possibly think you have been looking at this longer right?

in the case above you have once again tried to sidestep "Rule #1".

1. The Bible test of a prophet is that the DOCTRINE they teach as coming from God MUST match what you find in scripture.

2. They must pass the other Bible tests of a prophet.

3. IF you find them to pass - as in the case of the READERS in the above LETTEr from Ellen White -- THEN as I already stated on this thread you are obligated to follow God's instruction.

Doesn't apply to non-SDAs who do not find Ellen White's writings to be in harmony with scripture. but SDAs who DO accept her as having the 1Cor 12 gifts - would be in a different situation.

Obviously.

4. The other thing you are ignoring is the fact that SDA doctrine does NOT consist of "everything Ellen White ever wrote" - rather it is a very concise voted document. 28 points in all. P.S This has nothing at all to do with "SDAs finding fault" with Ellen White or anyone else.

in Christ,

Bob

#29 BobRyan, Oct 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
  10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If ALL of your post are correct, then ALL of your post are Infallible!

You have spoken an oxymoron.

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Maybe that is your system of reason or logic for that term -- but you need to find someone that actually uses "CORRECT" to mean "INFALLIBLE" otherwise you "appear" to be simply making stuff up.

Here is an example.

2+2=4.

That is the most math I have posted on this board since this new site was started .

Are you ready to call me the "mathematically INFALLIBLE SOURCE" on this board???:laugh:

If so -- I think you are the only one on this board that uses that kind of logic.

in Christ,

Bob

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All of your post concerning math are correct and therefore they are all infallible.

You need to stay in context brother!

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    INFALLIBLE:
    incapable of failure or error; "an infallible antidote"; "an infallible memory"; "the Catholic Church considers the Pope infallible"; "no doctor is infallible"
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

So you are claiming I am INCAPABLE of error??!!

I assure you - you are not correct in your opinion of me in areas of math and chemistry.

(Now if the topic were Exegesis - I might be tempted to agree with you):laugh:

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Brother, context, context!

Say you post 10,000 post with math problems. All are correct. Then all of those 10,000 specific post are infallible!

Now if some are right and some are wrong then your 10,000 post as a whole is NOT infallible.

Thus if all of EGW's writings concerning Christain doctrines are correct, then all are infallible. If some are NOT correct then they are fallible.

Maybe you got some math wromg some other place, but if what I have from you is all correct, then it is all infallible regardless if you got some wrong that I do not know of.

We are speaking of documented "WRITINGS". Not is EGW the person fallible, but what she has written, the "writings". If they are all correct then they are all infallible. If some are in error then they (as a whole) are fallible.

We don't use oxymorons and turn it upside down. Oxymorons cannot be accepted statements.

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I see the poijnt you are trying to argue Steaver - but I am going to have to go with the actual defintion for "infallible" as "not being CAPABLE of error" and as leading to the error of "trusting the source without validating it against scripture".