1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Authority to baptize

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bro. James, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In whom is the authority to baptize vested and from whom was this authority received?

Connect the answer to Mt. 16:18 and 28:20.

2. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think that if the Great Commission were directed to all believers to "teach all nations" those same people must then of necessity need the "authority" to baptize those whom they have taught. Unless the passage implies "go ye [disciples or all believers?] therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them via an authorized representative..."

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Is it ever said? I don't think so.

I would love to see my children baptized by a family member when the time comes.

4. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds kind of "iffy". Are we implying the scripture is not clear regarding authority?

I am a believer. Do I have the authority to preach the Word and baptize based on having been converted?

The question is still unanswered: is Jesus talking to individuals in Mt. 16, and Mt. 28?

Selah,

Bro. James

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I think we act too much like baptism is a sacrament, instead of an ordinance.

We include baptism in discussions on salvation....for example.

We get upset at someone who questions our baptism......

I think we place too much emphasis on there having to be some kind of "earthly authority" in order to baptise someone else. Its important that we obey God, and be sure that we are identifying with the proper authority when we are baptised. In that sense I would imagine that the local church has the authority to baptise, whether that local church has just begun and so only has the pastor as a member, or whether the church has many members and several men in leadership roles do the baptizing.