1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Authority to Baptize

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by pinoybaptist, Jul 16, 2007.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, all:

In another part of this board, Aresman wrote the following in reply to another poster:

Now, I would like input from you all. And please, no sarcasm, no insinuations, no anything that will turn the discussion into negative.

I personally believe the "Great Commission" was given only to the church, that is, the command to preach the gospel, to make disciples.

However, Aresman has raised very valid points with regards to baptism. If the Great Commission was only to the apostles, then the authority to baptize stops after the apostolic period.

Now, that part I do not agree with.

When, and where in Scripture did the authority to baptize transfer to elders ?

I am asking this question because I am willing to let go of the belief that the "Great Commission" was given only to the apostles, if Scriptures plainly show otherwise.

Of course, the third option Aresman presented I did not consider at all, but can also be tackled if you want.

Thanks for your input.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The Lord was our example and it is for others to prove that the unordained can baptize, give an example of such happening in scripture instead of just starting it on their own.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Good luck with that... :laugh:

Good question. I believe that the Great Commission was given to the Church. The Apostles were acting as representatives of what would be the church. So I believe that baptism ought to only be done by someone as authorized by the local church.

We have allowed a dad to baptize his children, but it was done by the authority of our church.

The interesting Scripture is Philip baptizing the Ethiopian even though the treasurer would not be going back to a church and Philip was a "deacon" who was serving as an evangelist. That's one reason why I would not take a hard stand on this.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think Staphen would be the example of non-clergy performing a baptism. I believe in the absence of clergy, misionary work etc..., it may become necessary for non-clergy to perform such commands to include the lords supper. Depending on the situation, I think we should dunk um again so it is witnessed by the Church body.

5. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

What would be the Scriptural basis for #2 over #3?

6. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 14:40 - Let all things be done decently and in order.

Also, the gift of preaching is not for all, as is the gift of teaching. If all members were to baptize, there would be some sort of confusion.

At present practice, the authority to baptize, and to lead in the Lord's table, is set upon the elder/s by the church. Therein is order.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    from the first Baptist Confession (1644):
    "XLI. The persons designed by Christ, to dispense this ordinance, the Scriptures hold forth to a preaching Disciple, it being no where tied to a particular church, officer, or person extraordinarily sent, the commission enjoining the administration, being given to them under no other consideration, but as considered Disciples.
    Isa. 8:16; Mat. 28:16-19; John 4:1-2; Acts 20:7; Mat. 26:26"

8. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

To be "done in order" hardly says anything about who should be doing it in order, and I've yet to see a verse which identifies baptizing as a spiritual gift.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Hi Lebuick;

help me with scripture of Stephan baptizing, I thought Stephen was an ordained deacon.
    Act 6:6Whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, they laid [their] hands on them.

10. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say baptizing is a spiritual gift. Preaching is. And I think Paul was telling the Corinthian church to do all things in order, beginning with speaking in tongues. I suppose all would also include baptizing, and preaching.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps Acts 20 when Paul addressed the elders.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If there is no gift of evangelism then on the basis of Roman 10:14 how can there be a gift or preaching.

"How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher?"

13. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you may have a point there.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If the Great Commission was ONLY to the intended audience, and not us, this would be correct. The GC is to all believers, though...

15. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

Right, you didn't, but that seemed to be the implication since you didn't point out where it says that only preachers can baptize.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am sure there are parts to everyone and there are parts just for the ordained.

If I may, let me put it this way. In our church only ordained Elders can baptize. They can use a layman to help them if needed. I have used up to probably 4 when I baptize someone in a bathtub. We take the scripture "whatsoever you bind on earth, will be bound in heaven" to be to the Elders. So, therefore we believe baptism is do be done by the authority of the church by ordained Elders. That is us, let others do as they believe, I do.

#16 Brother Bob, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Right you are, I stand corrected.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You didn't say hi...........:) Where have you been, I missed you?

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

How big a bathtub are you using????? I have never seen one anywhere near that big, but am sure I have not seen all that exist.

Ed

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I have used the large ones they have in hospitals and believe it or not, I have used the ones in a home when the person was dying. I would sit them in the tub and then have someone pull their legs forward as I lay his head and top part of his body under the water, being very careful to not hit their head on the spout. It is very difficult but the result is very joyful. I thank God for always helping me in this travel.
    Since the two heart surgeries, it is very hard for me in the winters in the creeks and rivers. I only have half my heart working and when I step in the water in January, sometimes in ice, I have to step in the cold water and just stand there forever until I can get my breathe back, then I ease on out in the deep water, struggling for breath. After I put them under and raise them back up, believe it or not but I am no longer cold at all, but warm all over. I thank God again for always helping me through my travel in my ministry.

#20 Brother Bob, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007