1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Authority to Baptize

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by pinoybaptist, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Tom, I, too, believe that the Great Commissioin was given to the Apostles, who made up the church that Jesus established during his earthly ministry. The authority to baptize was given to that church and each church established thereafter. Individuals who baptize must do so only by the authority of the local congregation.

In Acts 8, Philip went down to Samaria and baptized several folks. Peter and John were dispatched from the Jerusalem congregation to Samaria to observe what was happening, and give their approval to Philip's evangelistic efforts.

BTW, this was a literal fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy (Acts 1:8) that they would be "witnesses in Jerusalem, all of Judea, and in Samaria....."

The point here is that the authority to baptize is given to the local church, not to individuals.

Even though I think a baptism may be done by an unordained person, I would point out that the only baptisms we know of in the NT were done by ordained men. All of them had either a direct commission from Jesus (John the Baptist, The 12), or from a local congregation (Jerusalem, Antioch).

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, there is no gift of "evangelism" spoken of, in the Scripture. In fact that English word does not appear in the KJV, RV or ASV. However the Greek "το ευαγγελιον" or 'euaggelion' which means good news or gospel, is the base word for the derivation of 'evangelist', 'evangelism', etc.

There is a gift of "evangelist" spoken of in Scripture. (Eph. 4:11)

One who had this gift, apparently, was Philip, the evangelist. (Acts 21:8) He had four daughters, BTW, who apparently had the gift of prophet ( Eph. 4:11) or prophecy (Rom. 12:6) (if there may be some slight difference actually, here), for they did indeed prophesy. (Acts 21:9) Just thought I'd throw the last bit about the daughters prophesying in for free. :D

One who apparently did not have the gift of evangelist was Timothy, for it is not mentioned, yet he was told to "do the work of an evangelist". (II Tim. 4:5)

I would offer that this is consistent with one of the qualifications for a bishop/elder, in that he must be "able to teach" (I Tim. 3:2, c.f. Tit. 1:9), but without saying that an elder necessarily has the 'gift' of teacher, or pastor/teacher. In fact, is appears some elders, although they do 'rule', do not labor in the word and doctrine, by course. (I Tim. 5:17)

And what exactly does Rom. 10:14 have to do with the gift of evangelist?? IN fact, that verse says nothing about any gift, let alone a non-existent one of "preaching!" Can not anyone proclaim or 'preach' the 'euaggelion' or the gospel or good news, depending on how you wish to render these words? Paul 'preached', Peter 'preached', others 'preached', people 'preach' today, and I would suggest that not all of them have the "gift" of "evangelist", nor is it necessary to have that specific gift. I have neither the gift of evangelist, nor that of pastor/teacher (by any stretch, I add), yet I have and do proclaim the good news. If that gift were required, I could not do this, at all.

Ed

#22 EdSutton, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

One small note, there were more in the Church than his Apostles;

Acts 1:15-22 (KJV)
    15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)

21 Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
    22 Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Women speaking up in Church? Where did you get that page from, it can't be in my bible :BangHead: :BangHead: :laugh:

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Uh, I thought John the Baptist was already baptizing before he even saw Jesus, let alone "have a direct commission" from Jesus. :confused:
    Yep, that's how I read it. I am :confused: no more! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not making fun of anyone, but you might inquire about arranging to use another church's baptistry. Our church used to do that, and since we have our own, now, we have allowed several others, who did not have a baptistry, to use ours, as well. Sure beats a creek or pond, in January, I'd say.

Incidentally, two times back in the 'teens, according to my folks, my late dad, and two of my late aunts were all baptized in January, in a pond, where they cut the ice in order to baptize the candidates. AND they had to walk a half mile to the '"baptizin'" and back in wet clothes, to the nearest house of a church member. One of my aunts once told me that the wet clothes froze on her, and my dad, as well, when he was baptized, for it was well below freezing. Brrrrr!!

I bet they might have settled for "sprinkling." :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

#26 EdSutton, Jul 16, 2007
  7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Should have picked better weather to come to Christ :laugh: :wavey:

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

He do have a good point, here!

Ed

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Big leap of logic here, I think. And where exactly does Scripture say "preaching" is a gift??

Ed

#29 EdSutton, Jul 16, 2007
  10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thanks for catching that. I should have said that John the Baptist received his commission directly from God. (John 1:6 "....there was a man sent from God...")

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You do not understand the Old Regulars and others. Many will not be baptized in a baptistry and insist on being baptized in running water as Jesus was.

12. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

In Acts 9.17-19, Saul/Paul's baptism is described:

17 And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit."
    18 Immediately there fell from his eyes something like scales, and he received his sight at once; and he arose and was baptized.
    19 So when he had received food, he was strengthened. Then Saul spent some days with the disciples at Damascus.

No indication there that an apostle had to be sent for. Indeed, if that had been the case, Acts 9.26-27 would surely not say:

26 And when Saul had come to Jerusalem, he tried to join the disciples; but they were all afraid of him, and did not believe that he was a disciple.
    27 But Barnabas took him and brought him to the apostles. And he declared to them how he had seen the Lord on the road, and that He had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Jesus.​

If an apostle had baptised Paul, formerly one of the greatest enemies of the early church, it would be strange indeed if he had not passed on that information to his fellow-apostles straight away.

13. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Acts 18 and 19, and 1st Cor. 1 give the impression that Apollos was also baptizing, and there's no record of him being authorized by a church or set of elders.

Les

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

So turn a hose on in the baptistry! :laugh: :laugh:

But seriously, what is the real difference between a baptistry and a large bathtub?? :confused:

That part sounds like straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel, to me, although I admit its just me.

Ed

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I did not say I would not use a baptistry. When you pastor a church Ed; if you do not understand that "change" must come very slow, or you lose those of old. If you do not change, then you lose the young.
    I believe in changing as long as you can stay with scripture.

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Since there were disciples at Damascas, it is likely that there was a congregation there, and he was baptized there. Maybe by Ananias himself, who knows?

Note also that the congregation at Jerusalem refused Paul membership, even though he desired to join them there. Only when Barnabas vouched for him was he received.

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You blame them? Paul's reputation was not really Church friendly... :laugh:

18. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I'm not quite sure whether you are disagreeing with what I said, or simply adding to it, but for sake of clarity, I should say that my post was referring back to the question raised in the OP:

"However, Aresman has raised very valid points with regards to baptism. If the Great Commission was only to the apostles, then the authority to baptize stops after the apostolic period."​

I was saying that it is highly unlikely that Paul was baptised by an apostle.

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Someone else here, do make a good point!

Ed

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Seems to me we are assuming something that might not be true. Apollos did teach, but if he baptized, I can't find it.

1Cr 3:5¶Who then is Paul, and who [is] Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

If you are using this Scripture for support that Apollos baptized, it also mentions Christ, and I don't think He baptized any did he?

1Cr 1:12Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

#40 Brother Bob, Jul 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2007