1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Authority??? What is authority???

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread a person included the following sentence in a post:

What do you mean by authority?:confused: :confused:

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Are you familiar with the Scirptures concerning Christ's rule in His church through elders?

3. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate you replied, but that is not an answer to my question. I am beginning to think it is a word used to manipulate people, but no one really has a clear idea of what they are saying. The word "authority" has a number of meanings.

So, what does the word mean to you?

4. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

1 Timothy 2:11-15 (KJV)
    11: Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
    12: But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    13: For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    14: And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
    15: Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is all very interesting, but it does not give me your defintion or understanding of what "authority" means or how it is exercised. So, again I see no understanding of the meaning of the word in your reply.

6. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Read it again. That is the definition and what I believe on the subject.

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see no definition. I see places where you use to justify your position, but no meaningful definition of what the word means. So, tell me in your own words what authority means. Please do not use quotes from the Bible, just tell me in your own words what you mean when you use the word. Thanks.

#7 Crabtownboy, Apr 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2008
  8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    3 John 9?
    Revelation 2:6,15?

Historically, Baptists have rejected presbyterial oligarchy as unscriptural.

9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps authority could be defined as having the responsibility over something or someone.

Does that help?

peace to you:praying:

10. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is one definition. Thanks for the reply.

Is this the definition we should use with the scripture so many like to quote when citing authority? If this is the one ... why should it be used with these scriptures? And how should it be manifest? Or should we use a different definition. There are several definitions that are accepted by all.

11. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

There are many forms of authority. But what is your final authority?

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I apologize in advance, but that came off sounding like a silly question. Either authority is having responsibility over something or someone, or it doesn't. In the matter of the scriptures, don't you use the scripture as your final authority?

Perhaps you should qualify it with your "accepted by all" definition of authority.

13. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

I'm pretty sure he's trying to start a discussion on "authority" v. "signs which are interpreted as being indicators of authority". A courtroom is an excellent secular example, where a judge is visibly orchestrates the proceedings (apparent authority) while wearing a robe and holding a gavel (symbolic authority) as he or she sits upon a raised dais (physical authority). None of these actually have anything to do with the judge's authority -- it's perfectly possible to conceive of a judge determining the results of a case orchestrated by a subordinate in regular clothing and without a gavel on a floor the same height as everyone else in the room -- but they give the judge a figure that is more visible, set-apart, and imposing.

Much in the same manner, spiritual authority in the church might be confused with symbols often used to create a feeling of authority.

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture as the final authority is another topic from the one I am asking about. But to answer your question, yes scripture is the final authority, but not all interpretations of scripture are correct ... and it is the interpretations we have to deal with. As the old saw goes, "The devil is in the details."

I simply have noticed that often in posts here people us the word authority in attempting to prove their point ... i.e. men have authority over women, or women do not have authority over men.

However, the word authority as used in these posts is never explained. I simply want to know what people think they are saying when they use the word. I may agree or disagree depending on their definition they mean when they used the word.

I am not looking for an argument, but a rational discussion.

:saint: