1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

{ Authority} whome should it be Pastor or

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Willow 2, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I like that Squire. That makes sense to me.

Maybe I should point out that most Primitive Baptist churches tend to only have one or two Elders, with one being the Pastor.

2. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

whoopsy. Double post.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the Word it's this way: "Do not receive an accusation against an elder except on the basis of two or three witnesses. Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also will be fearful of sinning. (I Timothy 5:19-20)

We are talking about authority here. I imagine some of the same people that have trouble with pastorial authority have trouble with authority in other areas also.

And I 'imagine' that these same 'pastors' [elders] who see in this an opportunity to be controllers of people are obnoxious jerks outside the church as well as inside it. Someone's previous example of forbidding to have home Bible studies-- that really takes it. Blindly submit to an 'authority' that forbids Bible study? No chance, buddy.