1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Automatic Tithing

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by chuck2336, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's a great way to do it, IMO. If it's not publicly known, it's a wonderful way to be sure the giving is done and ahead of all other bills. :)

3. Carolina Baptist

Statement from the origional poster

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hey - he agreed to it and that's his choice. However I do not see any Biblical support for a forced tithe as a requirement of employment. Having the ability to have your gift taken out of your check automatically? That's great. To make it a requirement is unBiblical.

5. Carolina Baptist

Gotta agree with you here. It's not an option I would choose, but that's just me.

It's the "requirement" part that bothers me.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If giving is a requirement of employment, then it is an obligation. Plain and simple.

It's true that a church should have those in leadership give consistenly and continuously but I know for a fact in our church, the staff all tithe because our business pastor has spoken of it. Not in numbers, not in who's who but in speaking on finances at our annual meeting, he's stated just that the staff is consistent in giving tithes and offerings. Period. So I know that our entire staff of 40+ give a tithe and that is from faithful teaching and discipleship - not a requirement of employment.

I disagree that the tithe is not forced. It's basically "You want to work here? Good, we're taking 10% of your income before you even get a chance to touch it." They have no choice other than to choose to work there or not. What I'd like to know is if an employee decided that they did not want it automatically taken out, would they be allowed to exempt themselves? If not, it is forced, plain and simple.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is what bothers me too. If there were Biblical support - if there were priests who went around to the tents in the OT and took the tithe, that is one thing. If there were men who went to the priests to take their tithe, that again would be one thing. But each time a tithe was given, it was brought to the Lord and given of their own hand.

8. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At my previous church, I asked them to withhold 10% as my tithe. The church agreed to it, and everyone knew. It was my decision. I wanted it strictly has a convenience. I still gave offerings, but my tithe was already taken care of.

I wish my current church would, but our treasurer is 82 years old and... well...

I plan to ask my next church to do that (whenever that is).

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

....He took out 100% once??

:laugh:

10. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not that. What's the saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." That applies here!

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I figured that, I was just joking. Fortunately our treasurer is up to date on all the 'tricks'.

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

Chuck, in order to set straight some confusion what was "required" - to pay tithe in order to be on staffor is it required theyhave a tithe (10%) automatically deducted out from their check to be on staff.

The way you worded it can be taken either way.

13. Allan

Allan Active Member

But it was still required was it not. If you did not tithe you would not be accepted. They were under obligation to give or God would remove His blessing and provision.

So if you wanted biblical support I guess you got it. The tithe was required. And yes, we have Mal 3 which states that God went out to get it when they were not paying it. Yes- I'm being funny but it is still true.

The Priests did go and take the some of the tithes from people. They specifically took their portion of the tithe that was theirs from the Levites who recieved the tithe of people. The priests recieved 1/10 of the Tithe of the people.

However, I am asking Chuck to verify his statement that is somewhat ambiguous. He states his friend has 10% deducted from his chech. In the next post he states the tithe is required. They are not necessarily linked together in his posts.

#33 Allan, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
  14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not arguing whether the tithe is valid or not. I personally tithe. What gets me is whether it was taken from them or if it was freely given.

They took from what was brought to the temple. That would be like taking living expenses out of the offering plate. It doesn't mean that they went to the field and confiscated 1/10 of the field.

I didn't see it as ambiguous but that's fine. We'll see what he says.

15. Allan

Allan Active Member

Editted out by me. -- Let me ask you a question Ann.

Can those on staff at your church maintain working there if they no longer pay tithes?

If not then is it not required?

Is that not basically saying:
    You want to work here? Good, we're taking 10% of your income before you even get a chance to touch it. WHy is that? Because 10% is already promised to them and is not yours even if you did 'actaully' hold it.

And just in case you think taking out of a check is not touching it. You have earned the money and it is verified in your check statement you are holding in your hand. Thus you have touched it as much as the staff at your church touches theirs.

#35 Allan, Jan 13, 2009
  16. Allan

Allan Active Member

Remember - I said I was having fun there. :tongue3:

#36 Allan, Jan 13, 2009
  17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Tithing is not required at my church at all. If I stopped giving today, I'd not be fired. I might be spoken to by the pastors (although DH is one so that would be weird) to find out why I'm not giving to the church. But would I be fired? No way.

18. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

After reading all these post, I honestly have to say, I am sorry I asked.

To answer the direct question to me on this. All staff members are required to have 10% taken from their check as a tithe to the church.

The visable paper trail was what I added as to why this peeked my interest. I did not have a papper trail and so when folks got mad at me they simply said I was not tithing because there was no "record". This seems to solve that issue.

I am sorry for the increase in blood preasure.

Chuck

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Chuck - no worries! Can I ask a couple of additional questions?

* Was this in place before all employees were hired or was this that developed once they got there?

* If they disagree with this, will they lose their job? What if they choose to give out of their own wallet rather than their paycheck? Will they be fired?

* How does your friend feel about this "deduction"?

Thanks for your time. I'm just trying to see if there's something I'm not getting here.

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Does the word "legalism" perhaps come to mind? Just wonderin'.

Ed