1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Automatic Tithing

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by chuck2336, Jan 12, 2009.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I would say that I can see this as a wonderful idea, personally. And this is something I believe I will do at the next church I'm employed by, by my own choice. If I don't have it to begin with, I'll not be tempted to forget, misuse, or overspend our budget, this way. :thumbs:

But I would not take any job where this was a condition of that employment.

That said, as our Moderator, I believe I'll ask our church treasurer to start doing that for me now, by taking it out of the check I'm paid, on a 'trial basis', since I believe I can fairly easily adapt to the change. :thumbsup:

Let's see, right now, that would be 10% of noth....

Ed

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I would bristle over it if it were a requirement, but it is offered as an option at my church for any percentage. It's an option I've chosen.

Bitsy

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I agree 100% with this post. :thumbsup:

Ed

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Chuck, starting a thread on tithing from any perspective is like saying sic-'em to a dog. And don't worry about blood pressure. It's pretty high around here, anyway.

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

requirement:

1. that which is required; a thing demanded or obligatory
    2. an act or instance of requiring.

I'm completely mystified at how the word "requirement" somehow means "free choice". Mr. Obvious says, "Things that are not the same are different."

6. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

It was in place before my friend came on staff, how long I don’t know.

I don’t know if anyone would lose the job over this or not. It sounds like it is a condition of employment to me.

My friend is fine with it. He never really asked any questions about it. He is a tither anyway and this makes it easy for him. He said the way it was brought to him was from the personnel committee before he was hired. Kind of a "this is what we do here can you live with that" sort of thing.

Again I didn’t mean to stir things up, let’s change to a less of a hot button issue. How do you feel about contemporary Christian music being used in worship?

JUST KIDDING!!!!

Chuck

#46 chuck2336, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2009
  7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

We require our worship leader to use CCM at least 10% of the time, or we dock his paycheck.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK thanks for the clarification.

**Says Ann who is listening to the new Charlie Hall song that Bob's been doing in church. :)