1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Avid following

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by SaggyWoman, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Way of Life Encyclopedia
    EASTER

A pagan holiday (Acts 12:4). This is the only place in which "easter" appears in the Authorized Version. Some say that this should be translated "passover" and they point to this as an error in the KJV, but they are wrong. The Easter of Acts 12:4 occurred after the Passover. We know this because Acts 12:3 says it was "the days of unleavened bread." The feast of unleavened bread followed the Passover (Nu 28:16-25), but this Easter was after the feast of unleavened bread. It refers to a pagan holiday, probably the celebration of Tammuz, the sun god (Jack Moorman, Easter or Passover?). "Easter" is a proper translation to distinguish it from the Jewish Passover, and the KJV translators were wise in their choice of this word. In using the term "Easter" in Acts 12:4, The King James Translators merely left intact the reading of Tyndale, Matthews, and the Geneva Bible: "Then were the days of unleavened bread, and when he had caught him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to be kept, intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people" (The Newe Testament by William Tindale, 1526, John Wesley Sawyer, The Martyrs Bible Series).

Enlarging on this subject, Ken Johnson adds: "[Those who claim this is a mistranslation in the KJV] show a lack of two things. First, they neglect the context of the verse for it is a season that is also noted. Second, in English the season or time of year marked as the Passover season has for years been expressed in English as 'Easter.' The KJV translators did not invent this usage nor were they wrong. The Geneva Bible of 1557 translates Acts 12:4 as 'Easter.' This is also true of the 1539 Cranmer Bible-'Easter,' and the Tyndale Bible of 1534-'ester.' This takes the time element back almost 100 years for the usage of 'Easter.' Alfric, at the beginning of the eleventh century, wrote a Homily using the term Easter: 'Fram dam halgan easterlican [Easter season] (A.C. Champneys, History of English, London: Revington, Percival and Co., p. 178). This calls the Passover season 'Easter' season and it is some five hundred years plus before the KJV saw its publication with 'Easter' in Ac 12:4" (Ken Johnson, A Response to J.H. Melton's Forum Re. the King James Version and Inspiration, p. 12).

The KJV translates 1 Timothy 6:10:

1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Is there a problem with that?

#41 Linda64, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Will no one respond to my question?

I'll repeat it.

Movie producer, I would also like to hear what changed your mind.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer to discuss this privately. :)

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I posted these verses in another thread (now closed), but never got an answer:
    Here is a copy of the original 1611 translation. Why don't the KJVO people read from it? That is my question. If they don't, why do they call themselves KJVO?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I only see the 1789 of later KJV posted on here by those supposedly KJVO. Ed Edwards is the only one I see who posts Scripture in the 1611KVJ.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thanks DHK. Does everyone else have me on ignore? :laugh:

I'm not wanting to debate or argue. I'm trying to get some honest answers.

Anyone?????

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV translates 1 Timothy 6:10:

1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Is there a problem with that?[/quote]

Yes , there is . There are a great many sins that do not in any way have a thing to do with a love of money . Think about it -- and they will come to mind .

Some of the best MV's render the relevant portion of the verse as follows .

TNIV : For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil .

NLTse : For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil .

HCSB : For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil [ footnote : Or is the root ]

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean the 1769 version by Benjamin Blayney .

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Rippon,

1. The problem with 1 Tim 6:10 is that there's no indefinite article in Greek and when a person looks at the Greek text, a question must be asked, since we have no indefinite article as in English: Do we right "root" as definite or as indefinite?

2. Another problem is that "root" in the Greek text is in the emphatic postion: at the beginning of the verse.

3. "The love of money is the mother-city of all evil" was a proverb in the time of Paul. Believe it or not the translation "The love of money is the root of all evil" has good textual support.

4. Then we have to contend with the Colwell rule (a definite noun preceding its verb is often without the article; see John 1:1), which supports "The love of money is the root of all evil."

5. The key is that Paul is quoting a proverb.

10. MovieProducer

MovieProducer New Member

I don't know what FTR means, but whatever.

You know, folks, I asked for some certainty, and this all I get? "Try Passover?" Not exactly a geyser of persuasive evidence but, like I said, whatever. Hey, anything goes in evolution and bible whateverism.

I know the names of two such scholars right off the top of my head, and there are dozens more. If a man were interested in fact in finding them, he could easily do so starting with a google search or at av1611.com, or answersingenesis.com, or Will Kinney's excellent site at http://www.geocities.com/brandplucked/articles.html.

Anyone searching them out will find that there are many intelligent humans who can show that "Passover" is the incorrect translation, and that "Easter" is correct, and that they have been around for hundreds of years, before 1611 and after. Of course, if all one does is look for critics of the "Easter" translation, that might be all one finds. Don't get me wrong -- I do understand that can be much more comfortable than facing the facts.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Every single time the word "pascha" is used in the NT it is translated "passover." Now this one time it is translated "Easter." I would call that a mistranslation, based on Anglican political correctness. If they were faithful to the text they would have been consistent and translated it "passover" just as they did all the other previous times. That is the argument.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

And I have asked you twice to tell me what changed your mind about Bible whateverism and what was so mind blowing to your friend and you have not answered my question.
    I would really like to know. As I have said, I'm not looking to argue about it.

#52 Amy.G, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

And this anachronism is unfortunate. But DHK is correct here.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I give up. It's kind of hard to have a discussion all by yourself.

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Keep that up and my wife will be able to knit me a new sweater out of all the warm fuzzies instead of the lint from my belly button.:D

16. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Ah, still stumbling over the accuracy of the KJB that the time in point was NOT actually the Passover but the pagan time of Easter which Peter had been imprisoned.

I wonder if the modern term of "Old School" might apply here?

17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Amy, I've read why the KJV was superior, but I'd have to go dig that book out. It took the best from several versions at the time. It was not wholly unique.

I can picture the book, but the name is not coming to me.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

We are not going to fight the"Easter" fight here again.

The topic is why the KJV has such an avid following when other versions do not?

Lets stay on that topic only.

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Not really, look at posts by some sort of entity known as "_________"

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Mr. Salamander! I know that you are KJVO. Would you care to answer my question, please. I'm tired of being ignored. :)
    Here it is, posted way back in this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.