1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Awana and Premillennialism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Broadus, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Broadus

Broadus Member

Our church is looking into using Awana for our children and as a community outreach. To use Awana, you must sign a statement agreeing to their statement of faith and agreeing to teach their material completely.

Their statement reads as follows:

"The Awana Ministry Agreement (shown below) is an agreement between Awana Clubs International and the church that enables the church to use Awana programs. By signing the agreement, a church indicates that its Awana Club ministry will present the Awana materials without omission. Our doctrinal positions are based solely on the uncompromising teaching of God's Word. Carefully look over the Awana Doctrinal Statement to determine if your church can present and support Awana materials faithfully in your Awana ministry. If you have questions or wish to start an Awana Club in your church, contact your Awana missionary or fill out our inquiry form."

One question which I have is with their presentation of eschatology. Their statement of faith is premillennial, but they don't specify if it is dispensational premillennial (rapture, 7-year tribulation, return of Christ, millennial reign, eternal state) or historic premillennial (a tribulation through which believers go and then the return of Christ).

So . . . I turn to you who use (or have used) Awana, or you have discovered their position. We want to know before we sign on the dotted line.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Forgive me, but wouldn't you be better asking the AWANA organisation this question?

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Diane teaches Awana in her church, she would know.

4. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I taught in AWANA for years and do not recall ever seeing something specific regarding these questions. I think you're safe using their materials either way.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I agree. I've taught AWANA for 6 years now and have been a Director or Commander for 3 years and have not ever come across anything in the kids books that teach this one way or the other. I have been through all the Sparks books while teaching Sparks for 3 years (previously) and Cubbies for 2 years and certainly there was nothing in those books teaching one view or the other. I have not seen all the new Truth and Training books since a child can only do one a year and we've just gotten our older group involved in T & T this past year.

PLEASE feel free to contact your local AWANA missionary if not the organization itself. I contact my missionary even for ideas!

Brian Crowe [email protected]

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

7. Broadus

Broadus Member

I had emailed Awana and have not yet received an answer from them. The Awana missionary for our are is meeting with us this Sunday, and we will get more answers. What I am looking for is insight from folks who have actually used the program or otherwise have concrete knowledge.

The requirement to teach their material in its entirety up front is a little disconcerting. Regardless of whatever curricula we've used, we always modify areas with which we have a problem or that we think are weak.

Thanks for the input thus far.

Bill

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Ask the Missionary to bring the 3 Sparks books and the T and T books for you to view. The Cubbie books are 'bits and pieces' of Bible verses for ages 3 and 4. You can choose KJV, NKJV, NIV. I personally use NKJV but allow my children's parents to paste the version they prefer their children memorize in the book. We've had some RSV, etc. once in a while. [​IMG]

I think you'll be VERY impressed. Wish I could introduce you to some of my four year olds who can quote 20 verses. I may have the number wrong but I believe a child who finishes all the books will know 160 plus verses by heart AND what they mean.

Diane

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since adults are divided into all kinds of eschatological camps might as well get the children involved in it early as well. [​IMG]

10. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Our church has had Awana for many years, about two years ago at the behest of the Pastor Awana was dropped and Team Kids was started. As a result
    some of the Awanas went to another church which has Awana. I didn't look into Team Kids because I don't participate in kids programs anymore since our son's are adults and have their own children.

When our sons were boys they were in Christian Service Brigade and I was also involved as CSB wants the fathers involved.

My son Gerald started a CSB program at a church he and his family were members of.
    They moved out of state and I don't know if that church will carry on with CSB

11. WW2'er

WW2'er New Member

Don't know if you have received your answer yet or not, but I think they would go for the dispensational premillenial position. However, I also do not believe that level of detail is taught in their materials, so I don't think it would be a problem.

Awana is a great program, but the choice is up to the church on whether or not to use the materials. I compliment you for fully investigating and making that choice a serious matter for prayer.

God Bless!
    WW2'er

12. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THE SECOND COMING
    We believe in the personal, premillennial and imminent coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the dead, of the believer to everlasting glory and the unbeliever to judgment and everlasting conscious punishment. (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; 1 Corinthians 15:51-52; Titus 2:11-13; John 14:1-6; Matthew 25:46; Revelation 20:11-15; 2 Peter 3:10)

--------------

"personal, premillennial, and imminent" = dispensational.

Imminent is code word for pre-trib rapture.