1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Awana

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by sketter11, Oct 24, 2005.

1. sketter11

sketter11 New Member

At are church we have a program called awana some of oyu heard of it some of you have it at your church. It's really cool i learn a lot there. This sunday night we had 119 people there. I really like it and also i am new at this website. Thanks for casey skipton for telling me about it too. Well i have to go bye.

2. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

We have our daughter in AWANAs she loves it. She is learning alot and is excited to attend. It also gives me and my wife a chance to attend Wed. night bible study, where we are also learning alot. I wish I could have attended something like this when I was young.

Welcome to the sight [​IMG]

3. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I went to AWANA from Sparks up and then taught Sparks when I was a teenager (ours stopped at Pioneers/Guards). I had a mixed love/hate relationship with it. :D But I think I got a lot out of it. The church I am at right now does not have an AWANA program but hopefully I'll get a chance to work in one in the future.

4. Casey

Casey New Member

:D I GO TO AWANA! ...Because I'm Casey Skipton, the one who told Brittany about this place. [​IMG] Yes, we also stopped the Pioneers and Guards.I love Awana. I also learn alot. I actually like studying for the tests. XDD At school, I strongly dislike studying, but for Awana, I'd study anytime. [​IMG] Last year in Awana we got up to ... how many people? I think our highest was 160 something. Hopefully we can exceed this number and get as many kids as possible! I love Awana. :D

BTW, thanks for joining Brit! You're the best friend ever! Love ya! See ya at school.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I worked in Awana back when I was in college. It's a great program. Unfortunately it has not been translated into Japanese, as far as I know.

6. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Most IBF'ers stopped supporting the AWANA ministry when they tried to do away with the KJV materials several years back. There was such a backlash against them they decided to start producing both KJV and whatever else they use. AWANA also started going into SBC churches, as well as others who are not IFB, which brought about another rift in allegiance. There are many other well written and coordinated programs out ther that still hold to a KJV position on their materials. How do you all feel about this?

7. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I think that they have supported well those who hold to a KJV position or preference, while providing a curriculum in NIV as well. I think this is just fine, but then again, I'm not KJVO.

8. Casey

Casey New Member

Hm, we use KJV only. We're IFB. =D

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know anything about the recent history of Awana. I've been in Japan too long! [​IMG]

I have a missionary friend who has translated "Kings Kids" into Japanese. If I used anything here in Japan it would be that.

10. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I've been the Awana Game Director at my church for the past six years. I'm glad you kids love Awana. Its a great program.

Our Awana material is KJV, but there is some NKJV material available. Find out more here:

http://www.awana.org/

11. Sularis

Sularis Member

Ummmm as of last website update - and the fact I used to know some high muckety mucks in Awana - there are several clubs in Japan - website says 23

im assuming that means they have to have some Japanese material - but its easy to email and ask

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

King's Kids is great, too!

Ive also heard that AWANA is now in non-Baptist churches as well. I used to love them, though.

But I think King's Kids is just as good as AWANA was back when I was in it. Although I remember there being an Awana Olympics....I don't think any other group does that sort of thing.

Also, if any of you have heard of Reformer's Unanimous, they are developing their Kid's program to be very much like AWANA. They are still in the early stages of it, and it needs some work, but its coming along.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

REcently, several local AWANA chapters held a "battle of the bands" fund raiser. Jr high and high school bands all auditioned to play lip-sync classic 50's era Rock & Roll. It was a lot of fun.

Here's the catch: The name of the event was called "AWANA ROCK". Get it? No joke!!!

14. Songbird

Songbird New Member

I LOVE AWANA! I teach JV w/my husband and two other leaders. This is the 3rd year for our church. For the first 2 years I worked in the AWANA store. I love my kids! This one of the best children/youth programs I've ever seen!

15. Sularis

Sularis Member

Depending on where you are or how far yer willing to travel

there are the following events in Awana

Awana grand prix - like cub car racing
    Awana Olympics - its called different things for different ages
    Awana Scholarship Camp
    Awana retreats - mini-camps
    Bible Quizzing
    Missions stuff

its been a while - Im sure they have more - although I was saddened to see AWANA in the States pulling out of their camps - and leaving it to the local church - The most important thing was meeting people from different denoms and areas

16. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Wow, I did not think AWANA had drifted so far away from the fundamentals of the faith to use this worldly method of attracting kids. Are we now proud of the fact that our kids are imitating Rockers! Maybe I am old fashioned but this is not the Baptists of old!

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I agree MikeinGhana,

just another reason many of us have dropped our AWANA programs and are going for things like King's Kids.

18. WW2'er

WW2'er New Member

Indeed, Awana is in Japan! Contact [email protected] for information on who to contact in Japan to help start a club there.

Also, Awana NEVER tried to eliminate King James materials, they only added New King James and New International versions of their materials because so many of their churches asked for it. Awana is not its own denomination folks, it is a parachurch organization that serves and partners with the local church!

As for the "Battle of the Bands" competition, please don't assume that Awana Clubs International played any role in supporting, fundraising or organizing such an event. Awana is run by leaders of the local churches and if they decide to have an event and partner with other local churches, they can do so without any help or assistance from a local Awana missionary or any other "employee" of Awana. I don't know either way, I just think it's VERY wrong to assume that such an event was supported by Awana officially and that Awana has "drifted so far from the fundamentals of the faith". Awana's doctrinal statement can be found here:

http://www.awana.org/about/default.aspx?id=19

I believe that doctrinal statement is strongly in-line with the fundamentals of the faith!

If your church is effectively using Kings Kids to evangelize and disciple children and youth and parents, then God bless you and keep doing it! However, please do not criticize those churches that are effectively using the tool of Awana to evangelize and disciple the kids, youth and parents in their community. I believe Awana is a great program, but I know it's not the best thing for everyone, and that's fine. God can and does use many different programs and methods to draw others to Himself! Praise the Lord for it!

Grace and Peace,
    WW2'er

[ November 04, 2005, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: WW2'er ]

19. bapmom

bapmom New Member

well then, Im glad you can say that, WW2'er. It has many official joint efforts, so its hard to tell which things are run by the organization and which by individual churches.

other issues are still enough of a reason for our particular church to not want AWANA anymore, but I cant tell anyone else what to do about it.

20. WW2'er

WW2'er New Member

The many events are all the more reason not to assume then, Bapmom.

I'm sorry you have "issues" with Awana. I just ask that if the issues are "method" related, then please show some grace, realizing that God can and does use new ways. If it's not for you or your church, fine, but it doesn't mean it's not good for anyone. If the issues are doctrinally or "message" related, then seek out the official Awana position directly and get the anwers so you know the whole truth about a matter.

I wish you only the best! [​IMG]

Grace and Peace,
    WW2'er