1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baby shower for an unwed mother

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Apr 23, 2009.

?
  1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Other,explain

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is a big difference for celebrating life and celebrating death. You know what catagories I place people in.

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

First, I never said I wouldn't forgive the woman. Actually, I probably wouldn't forgive the woman, as it isn't my place to forgive her. She wouldn't have sinned against me. It's God that should (and will!) forgive her.

Second, you an an extreme hypocrite. You are angered that I would not have a shower for this woman because you say I wouldn't forgive her, yet you then judge me and claim that I'm not saved! Who are you to say that the Lord will say He never knew me?

Why don't you try to do as your name says and think before you post instead of posting this drivel. I'll forgive you this time for questioning my salvation, but next time I'll report you to the mods :).

3. matt wade

Excellent point! You illustrated this much better than I was going to, so I'll just let you words speak for me :).

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But we can celebrate life without celebrating the conditions by which that life came about.

5. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    you can celebrate life without condoning sin. Sure. It's when you don't celebrate life because of the sin. Man sinned and all (save enoch and elijah) have died because of it. But God did a greater thing the incarnation, ressurection. Do we not celebrate easter because its a direct result of our sin? ie If Adam never sinned we would never have needed redemption. Easter is a glaring identifier of our sin. So lets not celebrate it because it celebrates our sin? Fah! Its the same reasoning I see here against having a shower for this repentant mother.

6. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Slightly off topic, but if the girl doesn't know who the father is, would you even allow that child to come to church? Deuteronomy tells us not to, down to the 10th generation after him. Where does it say that this rule is now null and void?

7. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then celebrate the life in a way that doesn't appear to condone the sin.

No, we celebrate Easter because it's the day Christ was resurrected.

Look, I don't really care what you do in your church. By her a copy of The Shack, while you're at it.

But to hold a shower is not appropriate and we're not doing it.

8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews. It's called the New Covenant.

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    First of all were talking about a repentant girl. 2nd of all following your same logic the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts never stood a chance of being saved or in the assembly of believers.
    Yet this is what we get in acts.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Christ fulfilled the law at the cross. If you want to be consistent with those laws then:
    1. you should be stoned if you pick up sticks (use fuel) on any given Saturday--even in winter.
    2. It would be against the law to wear "mixed" clothing. One must wear all linen, all wool, etc. No polyester/cotton mixes; not one type of clothing for the shirt and another for either pant or shirt--but all 100% the same from top to bottom.
    3. Your diet would be strictly according to the Jewish diet--no pork products, etc.
    4. and so many other restrictions, some of which would be impossible for you to keep.
    --These are Jewish laws, which Christ has fulfilled at the cross. Furthermore we are not Jews.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I could see if we were discussing someone unrepentant but we're not. So no one at your church would drop the stones in this story?

12. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As for "celebrating the sin", flip it around... if a normal married couple were about to have a child, if you threw the woman a shower, would you be celebrating the act of her having sex with her husband? If not, then why would you be celebrating the sin of sex out of wedlock if she was unmarried?

13. matt wade

With a married couple to woman becames with child through God's Grace and through His prescribed methods. That is something to celebrate. Becoming with child out of God's prescribed methods is not something to celebrate.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Stop...common sense is not allowed in this discussion :)

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So a shower for a married pregnant woman is the celebration of the sex she and her husband had? :confused:

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Here's a novel idea. How about the church not giving showers for anyone? Why not leave the shower giving up to the friends and family of the showeree and leave the church out of it? The church can still give a gift of needed items to an unwed mother if she needs anything. This would be sharing God's love without any chance of it seeming like sin was being celebrated. Just a thought.

17. matt wade

I guess you are having a hard time reading today. Let me post it for you again:

With a married couple to woman becames with child through God's Grace and through His prescribed methods. That is something to celebrate.

Celebrating that someone is with child and that they became with way through God's prescribed methods, i.e. sex within marriage.

If you want to say that we should celebrate any person that becomes with child or obtains a child, then certainly you think we should celebrate when a woman is raped or a homosexual couple adopts a child or, heck, even if someone abducts a child. Doesn't the child abductor need essential supplies?!

18. matt wade

Actually this is my preference :). I don't think we need to have showers, birthday parties, anniversary parties, or any of that as a church sanctuned event.

19. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that is what we are celebrating, why wait towards the end of the pregnancy? Why not just celebrate it as soon as everybody knows instead of waiting for months? We don't do that because that's not what we're celebrating.

20. matt wade

People have baby showers at all different times throughout the pregnancy. I've seen them happen at 4 months and I've seen them happen at 9 months. I've seen them happen after birth. Maybe you don't do that, but plenty of people do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.