1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baby shower for an unwed mother

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Apr 23, 2009.

?
  1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Other,explain

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Fact remains a baby shower is not a celebration of how the child is conceived...so therefore your stance is faulty.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I agree Amy. The friends and family are usually from the church anyway. Our church is like a family. Even the newly saved find our church more like a family where the people are friendly to them. It isn't the church, per se, that that throws a party (birthday, anniversary, shower, etc.,); it is the planning of one or two friends of the person involved.

3. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, here you go... artificial insemination. The girl didn't sin, isn't gay, but is unmarried. Does she get a shower? :laugh:

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That's just gross.

5. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It's still gross.

I gave my opinion. No showers for anybody. The church should stay out of it.

I don't think it's the church's job to give parties. It's the church's job to help those in need.

7. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

A good idea from Amy (as expected). But I have seen cases where the girl does not have any family in the church and gets little to no support from the family that she does have. In reality this is the case for most of the teens I minister too. I think a little help from the Church and an expression of love from those in the Church is not only correct but required. It is not a celabration of the sin. Nor is it a celebration of any kind. Just showing a little of Christ love to someone who needs it.

Makes me think of the Catsing crowns song "Does anybody see her?" A song inspired by a true story that happens way too often in our churches.

8. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In the ancient world the churches were very much a part of peoples everyday lives. Christians would go out to the barren places to find discarded babies (because of flaws) and rescue them and feed them. They would support widows and people with out means. They held all sorts of celebrations. They acted like a union and were very involved. It wasn't just a place to go. These people were very interconnected. what happened?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Istn't that what a shower is?

#129 webdog, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
  10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Honestly, I don't know of any "church" that throws showers - but they are the location for many of them. Usually it is friends or family who throw the shower. Our church has even thrown a shower for our local crisis pregnancy center so they can build up some supplies for the young moms.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That was my point when I said "help those in need", but what does it have to do with baby showers in the tradition that we do them in this country?

12. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Even thow the 'Church" does not hold the shower, if the pastor's wife or someone who works with the teens hold such an event it would be percieved by bystanders as being held by "The Church".

We do throw showers for a home for unwed mothers. However it is a bit different than the typical "Baby Shower" as none of the mothers are in attendance as the home is several states away.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No. A shower is a party held for an expectant mother or a bride in which they receive gifts. I've been to enough showers to know they are parties.

Contributing to the needs of others isn't a party. We have a food pantry at our church and give food to anyone who asks, but we don't buy fresh flowers and cake and sandwiches and play games when we give out food. We don't give them a food shower. Surely you can see the difference.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The purpose of a shower isn't the party, it is to provide for mom and baby. That is why mom does a baby registry so those who attend know what mom needs. The fact that those who throw the shower make it a fun party event doesn't mean this is the sole purpose of a baby shower.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

Or another, radical idea: why don't we recognize this is a liberty issue, and as long as the sin is addressed, then it becomes a matter of local church autonomy?

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Good point.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Of course...then what would we fight about???

:laugh:

oh...music, versions, Calvinism, Arminianism, End Times, Casseroles, Drinking, Pants-wearing,

Never mind. I have a list.

:D

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Casseroles! I don't think I've been in casserole fight yet. I like them. Anyone who doesn't is a heretic. How's that for starters?

[​IMG]

19. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

No shower. Unmarried woman looking to bring a child into this world without a father. It's sin and shouldn't be celebrated.

Since I answer your questions, why don't you answer mine instead of dodging them? Does the homosexual couple get a shower or not?

20. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If artificial insemination by a single woman is obviously a sin, it should be easily found in the bible. Why not show this to us?

I already made a more than adequate post immediately after you asked, don't feel like repeating just because you're too lazy to read it the first time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.