1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Back after a long while with a question

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sularis, Sep 8, 2018.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I've heard that about BAGD. And yes, the Friberg's Anlex, which has much more extensive definitions than the typical analytical lexicon.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think of the Louw-Nida Greel lexicon?

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use it.
    I like it but wouldn't depend on it alone.

Also Friberg, UBS and Liddell Scott.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's very difficult to use, whether in the book form or the digital form. I don't like it but occasionally use it. I gave it a two star review on Amazon. One reason I gave was that Nida himself said that he started with classical Greek meanings then worked through the years. You don't do that with meaning, as Nida himself taught in his book on lexical semantics.

5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to jump in to make a few observations and then go back to shore and watch the activity.

Strongs and Youngs were basic go to for elementary discovery work back over 70 years ago. I don't know of a single pastor that did not use them regularly. Because of their physical size, they were both exhaustive and minimal (printing was expensive), yet were and are basically unchanged by the modern offerings - even those by the esteemed Logos software.

For example: "deacon" still means servant, one who serves, one who waits upon the needs of others especially their master. Adding "a waiter" is not finding out anything new or adding anything significant in contrast.

The finding of manuscripts and such has not obliged definition changes to the basic Greek words, rather, the changes have been more surface oriented.

For example, the newest versions such as NIV, ESV, NASB use the term translated "brethren" as "brothers and sisters." I don't like nor particularly agree with such PC correct renderings (although admittedly in most cases the Greek is probably inclusive of or non gender specific). However, such does not change the raw meanings given by Strongs.

"en" is still a preposition that carries position (in, on, at, ...) but not direction and "eis" is still a preposition that carries both direction and position (unto, onto, for...).

It is not good to ignore or even set aside Strongs, or for the young believer, who is seeking slightly more than mere single verse use gathering of word use a thorough concordance given by the Youngs. Such works still stand as valid.

However, it is also not good for the young scholar to rely upon those as the sole sources, either.

For the study of the Scriptures, to one who wants more, will include a multitude of councilors (consultations, resources for gaining insight and information) that are both varied and best when doing in-depth study of which the typical pew sitter has little interest but the dedicated scholar will delight.

Too often (imo) the scholars of the modern educational system want the newest and best considering it supersedes prior work. That certainly is true in some sciences such as biology, chemistry, health, ... However, such does not apply in much of the work of the ones seeking out the meanings of the ancient language.

What HAS changed is the basic level of entry scholarship brought to the higher education. Where before, the typical high schooler graduated with a working knowledge of Latin, a knowledge of sentence structure and diagraming experience, and have a frame of reference from which to use to grasp historical influences, such things are woefully absent and therefore the universities have lowered the expectancy of course work and accademic accomplishment is held in little regard by the typical pew sitter who would rather proclaim as truth "my thinking" rather than the validity of Scriptures. (in the 1800's more often folks would have a working knowledge of Greek and Latin and in some cases even Hebrew as part of the typical classically trained). Do doctors still write prescriptions in Latin?

(Swimming back to shore, and trying not to create to many waves)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Young and Strong are not bad tools, but there are like the Thayers lexicon, in that was acceptable and good for what they intended to be used for at the time, but the Newest lexicons and dictionaries would be much better for someone trying to really dive into using study tools for the Hebrew and Greek testaments!

7. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (wadding along the shore allowing minnows to nibble)

Only for the highest of scholarship are such necessary and practical.

There isn't that much differences offered in the actual "new tools."

For example, Logos will diagram the structure of the sentence for a person, but that was a common practice of the typical educated high schooler (not anymore). So Logos seems to offer new, but in reality it is not anything but filling in for the general decline of educational level of the students attending university level coursework.

It also places far more resources at the ready allowing the scholarship level even at the university level to decline. Where once library materials were regularly worn out as students sought the wisdom, and great personal libraries were given to a motivated learner by a retiring master, now many pastors "studies" have become more suited as a game room.

I am not discrediting the "new" and certainly not discrediting the old.

I am spouting that those who discredit the old do so perhaps communicating that same laziness without recognizing it.

When I go to have my portrait made, I don't expect the final results to be "modern art" but old methods using modern tools. The same with the typical offerings, they use the old methods but proclaim them modern when only the tools of delivery are modern, the technique, the language, the applications... are all old school long ago developed.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If one wants to make specific decisions though upon items such as which versions are good, or which theology is better fitting the scriptures, the newer tools give better facts to bring into the discussion.