1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Back from Rome, Italy

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by ResIpsaLoquitur, Aug 11, 2002.

1. ResIpsaLoquitur

ResIpsaLoquitur New Member

I love traveling whether it is here in the U.S. or vacationing over in Europe. Enjoyed our 13 days in Italy (we also took a day sidetrip to Innsbruck Austria)but I must say, it was great returning home, to the USA. We are blessed in this great land and I am PROUD(and Lucky) to be an American!!!Pompeii was fantastic, as was Rome, Venice, and Pisa.Florence was okay but it rained almost the whole time we were there. Milan was dreary too as it rained non-stop!The isle of Capri was beautiful but the sea was too rough for us to see the Blue Grotto by the small island boats.
    I would recommend a trip to Italy for any of you that can travel overseas. The ruins are unbelieveable as they still show the genius and ingenuity of the Romans from all those years ago. Their engineering feats were quite remarkable and unbelieveable for their time period. It was a sombering feeling, however, when we went down into the Mamertine prison where Paul was kept in Rome.It makes one realize how we as Americans, haven't suffered as other christians have in the past (even now in many countries other than America)for their beliefs.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Italy is one of my LEAST favorite tourist spots. If it weren't for the ***** Italians . . . :D

Did you do St Peters and the Sistine Chapel? I only had a day there, so took the train from da Vinci airport to the tube, then connected to the Colliseum, Forum, prison, etc It really is breathtaking and moving.

Feel free to share WHY you enjoyed Italy and where else you travelled. My wife is having a harder time with long flights (we just canceled Singapore and Thailand for 2003 because of 22 + hours flying). Europe, at 8-9 hours, is much more appealing.

3. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

Oh, it's too bad it was rainy when you were in Florence. I have friends who lived in Florence for a few years, and I looked forward to any time I could go visit them. It's such a lovely city for walking and browsing market stalls. The architecture is beautiful, even when you're right next to it, but from above the city it's even better, which would be a little difficult to do and see well if it's rainy. :(

I fell in love with Italy the first time I went (I was 14). That was the year I got to hear the pope speak when I was in Rome. It wasn't as exciting for me as it would be for a Catholic, of course, but it was still incredible to be standing in the middle on St. Peter's Square and look up and see this tiny vision of the pope in his window. I didn't understand a word he said, but it was a good experience.

I've spent more time in Florence than anywhere else in Italy, and when I took a college course on the Renaissance in Florence, it was great, because I was familiar with so much of the art and architecture we studied.

I know you didn't ask the question of me, Dr. Bob, but I like Italy for myriad reasons. The architecture is lovely, the history is rich and evident absolutely everywhere you go, the language is beautiful, the cities tend to be a wonderful mixture of old and new world, you can walk for hours, the food is excellent (had to mention that), as is the wine, and I really like the people I've met there! Lots of reasons, and perhaps none are great enough in and of themselves, but of the countries I've visited (which are, granted, relatively few), Italy is probably my favorite. I feel very comfortable there, even though I speak very very little Italian. I could sing you a song in it, but couldn't carry on a decent conversation to save my life. [​IMG]