1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Backing UP!!

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by preacher, Dec 31, 2005.

1. preacher

preacher New Member

Get it? It's the end of the year, & I have a question about backing up.....oh well. Gina would like it.

I do have a question though. I know you can backup your system to another hard drive, or tape drive. But can you use the windows backup utility to copy your harddrive & then copy that to CD? My whole drive only has 1.57Gb space used so it would only take 3cd's. Can I do that?

2. standingfirminChrist

preacher,

if your hard drive is only 1.57 gigs, I would install a dvd rom and back the entire hd up on a dvd. they hold 4.3 gigs of info

3. preacher

preacher New Member

That'd be nice but I only have a CD writer. After I get all the necessities redone, that may be in the future, but quite a ways in.

4. standingfirminChrist

I think it is possible to burn the entire drive to cd's, but I have never tried it

Let me see what I can find out

try this site Back Up Entire Hard Drive To CD

5. preacher

preacher New Member

Sorry SF all I get is that "page cannot be displayed"

6. standingfirminChrist

strange, I was just on that site. tried again and it was dead

I searched on Google for 'Back Up Your Hard Drive To CD' top search answer was a microsoft site which I posted

7. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

8. standingfirminChrist

9. preacher

preacher New Member

Thanks guys...though the article sorta contradicted itself. It's for XP (I run 2000Pro)& states in one place that you can't backup to a CD-RW, then further down the page it says you can, but it might have meant picking certain files & not the entire HD. I know there are lots of free backup utilities out there, I'll just keep searchin'!!!

10. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Happy New Year 2006,
    I digress a wee bit here speaking of backing up files and such. When I bought my computer, I bought a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply). It gives me 15 minutes to shut down when the power fails, which is more than enough time. It cost about $70. and it's paid for itself more than once.

11. preacher

preacher New Member

Yeah but what if ya ain't home when the lights go out?? Or is there a way to program to shut itself down?
    Guess I'll distress,...uh I mean digress here a bit too!