1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Backsliders

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Dec 8, 2022.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. Hebrews 10:26-27.

Awful words! enough to make one’s heart tremble, excite a holy fear, and provoke a godly jealousy. Wilful sin brings on woeful complaints. Yes, says a soul, I find it so by woeful experience. I have received the knowledge of the truth of salvation by Christ Jesus, and O what have I done! Sinned wilfully, and now I must be punished eternally; there is no hope nor help; my sin is unpardonable; there remains no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for destruction; I am shut up in despair; I wait with terror my dreadful doom. Stop a little: write not such bitter things against thyself. True, thou art condemned for thy past wicked conduct: it is fitting you should take shame to yourself, and repent in dust and ashes; but this text never was intended to drive to despair, even the wilful sinner, who sees and is sorry for his vile conduct. Consider, if every wilful sin is unpardonable, after a person has received the knowledge of the truth, the whole must be damned; not one sinner would be saved. If so, that word could not be true, “The blood of Jesus Christ cleanseth from ALL sin.” (1 John 1:7.) Then backsliding sinners must perish without hope. God himself must prove false to his word; “I will heal their backslidings.” (Hosea 14:4.) And Christ must be a false prophet when he declares, “ALL MANNER OF SIN AND BLASPHEMY shall be forgiven unto men.” (Matthew 12:31.) Consider well, two words in this text. (1st.) There remaineth no more sacrifice for sins. Now this awful sin, is rejecting the one sacrifice of Jesus, treading underfoot the Son of God, accounting his blood an unholy thing, and expecting to be saved some other way. Here is a total apostacy and final unbelief; whereas your guilty conscience seeks no sacrifice beside the one offering of the Son of God. (2d.) Mind it is the ADVERSARY who is to be devoured. Is your heart set against Christ? Do you turn from him? Do you desire to have nothing to do with him? O no! I will answer for you, the one desire of your soul is to be pardoned through him, accepted in him, and saved by him. Then you are not an adversary to Christ: you shall not be devoured. This text no more belongs to you, than to angels in heaven: but this does: “This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.” (1 Timothy 1:15.)

Backsliders, who your misery feel,
    Attend your Saviour’s call;
    Return, He’ll your backslidings heal;
    O crown Him Lord of all.

- William Mason, A Spiritual Treasury For The Children of God, Volume 2, December 7

#1 KenH, Dec 8, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 10:39, ". . . But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul."

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! None of those whom God the Father gave to God the Son before the world began will ultimately be lost. It is an impossibility.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you a Tritheist?

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1