1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Backsliding

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Servent, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Oh please. He is summing up what he just said.

Romans 7 is about a man powerless to even know what is right. No Christian can say that.

Romans 7 is about a man enslaved to sin. No Christian can say that.

Romans 7 is about a man trying to obey the Law. No Christian SHOULD say that. He just got done destroying any idea that the Christian should obey the Law in chapter 6.

Sorry, all postconversion views miserably fail in light of truth and reality.

2. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

DD:

Hey, no need to apologize for patting yourself on the back. [​IMG]

Romans 7:22-25 can't be explained away.

And saying he's "summin up what he just said" is explaining it away.

You've generalized the chapter. I agree that Paul is talking about his former self without grace, but Paul puts things into the present when he talks about how he now delights in God's law, ALTHOUGH the body doesn't. Unless you believe that v 22 means that man truly desires to serve God before conversion.

I don't believe in backsliding, but I do believe that this body that man lives in is unredeemable and will be until it exists no longer. Which means that it wants what it wants.

Now, getting back to backsliding......

3. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Trotter:

I understand what you are saying. I guess the biggest problem that we face on these "debates" is understanding the definition of what backsliding means.

To you, it means differently than to others. I've heard backsliding preached in what I would call "revolving door" salvation. Although, some would urge that this is not of the intent of salvation more than once, it comes off that way to many people.

Clarification is a must, don't you think?

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Proverbs 14:14, "The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways."

A backslider is a saved person who is acting like he's lost!

A hypocrite is a lost person who is acting like he's saved!

Lots and lots of both warm the benches every Sunday!!!

5. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Sad but true.

6. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Backsliding was directly charged against Israel for failing to keep her covenant. Who failed in keeping the covenant except the Israel who was not really Israel (lost Jews). Point made (again).