1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Badgers or sea cows/seals

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

He I am going on 71, and i can't remember who C was. Give me a break. --Herb Evans

2. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Correct! Also logically, if A, B, and C do not agree, it is also possible that:
    1) they are all right
    2) none are right

I read some wise advise once: It is better to remain silent (when you don't know the answer for sure) and seem foolish, than to open your mouth (or write) and remove all doubt.

At least some translations admit in the notes that they don't know.

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I totally agree!

4. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

:) C was DeHann's favorite.

5. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

Too bad you did not take it. :laugh: -- Herb Evans

6. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

On what basis do you agree to something that there was no basis for saying. :smilewinkgrin: -- Herb Evans

7. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

It's called a signature. It's at the bottom of all my posts. I can change it if I like. DeHaan is not a MEer. I would never jump on a King James badger because that badger is immovable and immutable.

Lacy

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

No basis, Herb? You're barking up the wrong tree, Brother.

Herb, Franklin was agreeing to something that there was a basis for saying. I said the Hebrew tachash should have been transliterated rather than "translated" because no one knows what the original word meant. That is a mystery that we will learn in heaven. But the translators of the various Bible versions have chosen different words to "translate" the original Hebrew word despite the fact that they really don't know what that word meant. Some of the translators were courageous enough to include in footnotes that the meaning of the word is unknown, while the translators of other versions merely placed a word in there at their discretion, apparently wanting people to think they knew what they were doing even though they didn't. Since no one actually knows what the original Hebrew word meant, the use of any word in "translating" the original is a little misleading unless there is a footnote or something to indicate the meaning of the original Hebrew word is unknown.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Herb, but there was a basis for saying what I said. Obviously, Franklin saw that and he agreed, and stated his agreement. If you don't agree then you don't agree - that's up to you. But, quite obviously, there is no basis for what you said.

9. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

Yes, I know that it is a signature, a signature with a subtle design and message to Herb Evans. I did not waste the time to get involved in dueling signatures. I prefer to keep that stuff on Temporary 1-8 and not mix it with KJB defense. -- Herb Evans

10. Keith M

Keith M New Member

...and the meaning of the Hebrew word unknown.

Badger is "immovablde and immutable" only if you blindly accept the "translation" that was supplied by the KJV translators. They supplied the word badger even though the meaning of the original Hebrew word was unknown.

Ed, or someone else with a 1611 KJV reprint, did the 1611 KJV include a footnote that the original Hebrew word had an unknown meaning, or did the translators merely lead others to believe they knew what the word meant?

The Nelson King James Study Bible and the Ryrie Study Bible (NKJV) both contain the footnote "or dolphin" for Ex 25:5, indicating the fact that there is some uncertainty over the original Hebrew word.

11. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

The word "could" have been so transliterated but "SHOULD" implies that you have some authority to demand it. To assume no one knew (including you) because there are a variety of differences proves that you have no authority to say "should." According to what I think that someone posted, the word was transliterated in one of the early Bibles, but that KJB and post KJB Bibles ignored that for whatever reason. -- Herb Evans

Who says that they all did not know and that all arbitrarily "CHOSE" something just to have something? Such ominicience is a bit hasty to say the least. -- Herb Evans

So, you follow a note from folks that don't know and that assume no one else knows rather than follow a time tested translation that is consistent in its use of "badger," while the others follow the JW bible's lead in using seals. And you call it courageous? -- Herb Evans

Again, I say that you have no basis for saying "SHOULD," and I have a basis for saying that.

Odd that the Lamsa Eastern translation, apart from the KJB translators, translates it badger in Ex. 39:34; 36:19; Num. 4:6,8,10,12. I guess they did not know either. -- Herb Evans

-- Herb Evans

12. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

Well, if PETA knew about those folks using poor little dolphin skins there would have been a real ruckus! I do not blindly follow notes as some do. The Lamsa Eastern Bible has badgers and they followed an Eastern text and not the Hebrew.-- Herb Evans

13. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Uh, Herb, I didn't say that and I certainly didn't claim the "omnicience" you accuse me of. Omniscience is something that belongs only to God. I see you so readily fall into the old and bad KJVO habit of tossing around false accusations and trying to refocus the discussion when you really can't stand behind your unfounded claims.

Herb, can you show without doubt that the KJ V translators knew absolutely and with a doubt what the Hebrew word meant? I didn't think so. Since there is no conclusive proof as to what the Hebrew meant, then it is absolutely safe to say that neither the KJV translators nor translators of later versions knew absolutely what the word meant. If anyone knew with no doubt, then maybe they possess that omniscience you falsely accused me of thinking I possess.

And, just for the record, Herb, if you mean the NWT when you say "the JW biel" then you should know that many JWs use the KJV just as many other folks do. Now which "JW bible" is it that you're referring to in your confusion. And even though it is true that the NWT uses the word "sealskins" in Ex 25:5, a quick axamination would have saved you the embarassment of saying "the others follow" the use of this word. If you had checked for yourself before you made this false accusation, you would have seen that some of the modern versions may use this word, but that many don't. Please check on your "facts" before you show us how much you really know ab out post-KJV Bibles.

Well, Herb, if that's your opinion even though I showed why the word should have been transliterated rather than "translated" then go right ahead and believe your misinfirmed opinion. You showed no acceptable evidence to support your opinion, because all your "evidence" does not stand up. Even the KJV translators didn't follow what many of the previous translations had used in this verse - so since the KJV rendering was different than many of the preceding Bible versions, following your own line of reasoning, the KJV "badgers" must be wrong.

Herb, I have stood against the KJV myth for many years. I know many of the tactics followers of the man-made KJVO myth use, and I am prepared for them. The "evidence" you show, much of which was wrong from the beginning, does absolutely nothing to support your position. I pray that you will one day learn the truth and stop following the KJVO myth, but that day may not come in this life. I will still continue to pray that the Holy Spirit reaches out to you to show you how wrong the man-made KJVO myth really is.

14. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

#74 Herb Evans, Dec 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2006
  15. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

You kill me. (I forget, you are notorious!:tongue3: ) I've had that particular signature since long before you, MR Evans, showed up.) You're the one who "wasted time" attacking my signature in the first place.

You're a piece of work, friend.

lacy

16. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

I can't show you anything absolutely about the KJB, despite my longevity. I was not there then, and I can only guess at some things. I do not have to prove a negative here. Nevertheless, you seem able to do that for them with certainty as well as the others. In fact you did. -- Herb Evans

17. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

No, not Herb, God is going to kill you at the JSOC unlss you shape up. And you are now becoming notorious. Now, enough of the nonsense, unless you are out to kill the thread. -- Herb Evans

18. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, now you have switched the issue from the badger to KJVO's and Herb Evans. But what you do not know is that I know the tactics of those who like to correct Bibles and am prepared for them. -- Herb Evans

Ahh, but being prepared and being RIGHT are often two different things, eh, Dr. Evans?

So, can ya say WITH CERTAINTY it was badgers?

19. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

robycop3]Well, now you have switched the issue from the badger to KJVO's and Herb Evans. But what you do not know is that I know the tactics of those who like to correct Bibles and am prepared for them. -- Herb Evans

Ahh, but being prepared and being RIGHT are often two different things, eh, Dr. Evans?

Yes, Philip, I wish you would do it more. -- Herb Evans

So, can ya say WITH CERTAINTY it was badgers?

More certain than you are that they are not. Seems like all the uncertainty is on your side. -- Herb Evans

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.