1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bankruptcy is Better than Bailout

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, Dec 3, 2008.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

No accusation, just a statement. I think it is self-explanatory.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Hey TinyTim! You living off the labor of others you!:laugh:

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They don't. This high number that keeps being bandied about is an average that includes the health care benefits of retirees being divided in the formula among active workers.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

If the shoe fits...

Of course this is not limited to one group of people. For instance, the investors who own the propriety I rent, same thing.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Actually, it needs explanation. I think it would help me understand where you're coming from.

What do you mean when you say TinyTim lives off the labor of others?

One option is that he delivers babies...but I think that's probably not what you meant... :laugh:

Humor the old guy. Tell me what you mean by that statement.

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

If you're saying what I think you're saying you ought to be ashamed of yourself- and take your Bible off the shelf, blow the dust off of it, and read 1 Corinthians 9:9-14 and 1 Timothy 5:17,18.

#46 Mexdeaf, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008
  7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Expectations are that the overall unemployment rate will rise from 6.5% to about 8% with the next year as the economy slows down. It's a number that changes from month to month for the 50 years or so they've been tracking it. No doubt it's higher than it has been in 15 years or so but it's not the highest it's ever been and, right now, not that much higher than in other recent high years.

Having these fact and understanding what it means and pursuing the proper solution are entirely different things.

Saying "unemployment is rising" and so therefore we must "bailout the big three" does not make the bailout the proper approach.

One, two, or all three of the big three going bankrupt is not going to put everyone out of work - not even among those who work for them.

If there's a demand for automobiles someone is going to fill that need and that someone is going to need workers. That's the real incentive for the jobs and government can't create that.

Maybe there's not room for all three of the big three in today's market unless they - investors, owners, managers, workers, unions, etc. - are all willing to make some big adjustments.

8. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

We don't need the government to "protect their jobs"!

Jobs are owned by the employer. Skills are owned by the employees. Employers need employees when they have work they want done. Employers want work done when they're trying to make something to sell that someone else wants to buy.

It's all about the exchange of goods and services - not government "protection" of jobs!

Let people keep more of the money they earn and they figure out ways to spend it on stuff they want or need.

Let other people invest in businesses to provide what people want and need.

Let the drilling, the digging, and the cutting happen and that would do more for the economy than any government bailout program to "protect jobs"!

9. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

People who want jobs have to develop the skills that are needed for the jobs that are available and they have to go where the work is needed.

That's why "protecting jobs" doesn't work either by unions or by government. It only prolongs the ultimate death of non-productive over-priced and inefficient jobs and the industries that employ them.

Take a tour through the rust belt to confirm it!

10. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

This is a perfect example of the new justification now in place. We gave "them" so now we must give "them" also. Such an approach will never end. We shouldn't have given any of "them" anything. If you wonder where the AIG money went you will only be wondering that much more where the GM, Ford, Chrysler, and "who knows who" money went. We need to stop the foolishness now and undo as much of the past foolishness as is possible.

11. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

They're asking for money from the federal government which will only get it out or our pockets. When you or I want to borrow money we go ask a bank, credit union, or perhaps a more wealthy relative. The banks and credit unions want a reasonable return for the risk they take. We don't go hammering on our neighbors doors demanding a bailout to cover our mess.

12. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Ironic! Some claim absolute "separation of church and state" and then suggest Christian principles should apply to what it does!

The government was not created to be a big charitable organization that takes care of people form cradle to grave!

We are free to provide all the help we want to our fellow man through a very large number of charitable organizations, churches, interested employers, and as individuals. Go for it! We will be much more effective in such manner than any person from Washington could ever hope to be.

13. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Government "red tape"! The same government "red tape" that will make a mess of any bailout.

14. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Not if they get busy and find new jobs which is what self-reliant Americans have always done.

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ironic my foot. Intentionally inconsistent is a nice way to put it. Condemn any application of Biblical principles except when it is convenient tot heir ideology.

16. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

"Religion is the basis and Foundation of Government." - James Madison, 1785

“We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We’ve staked the future of all our political institutions upon our capacity…to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God.” - James Madison, 1778

“God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel” - Ben Franklin, 1787, Constitutional Convention

"For my own part, I sincerely esteem it [the work of the Constitutional Convention] a system which without the finger of God, never could have been suggested and agreed upon by such a diversity of interests." - Alexander Hamilton, 1787