1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bapticostal

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by mickd7, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Here is a LINK to an article concerning revival. Revival starts in the heart, thus revival can start with anyone, whether they be pentecostals, baptists, or lutherans for that matter.

Have you been praying for revival for Australia?? Maybe you are the one to bring it.

Just my two cents worth on the subject.

God Bless!!!

Adam [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Adam, I have no difficulty with what you are saying. I know there are Christians in every denomination (some obviously more than others). My complaint resided and resides strictly with internal dynamics of the local denomination that we are in.

Today we are seeing people who would rather change their church to a different belief, than change churches. That is my only point. When doctrines are espoused that we do not embrace in our denomination, then I will say something about it.

There is no doubt that God can even use a cult to bring about a revival, but that does not mean that we bring the non-doctrinal beliefs into our own house. That is MY only point.

Just the word "Bapticostal" causes intestinal discomfort for me. [​IMG]
    God bless you!
    Phillip

2. mickd7

mickd7 Guest

Untangled my man you hit it right on. There are true born again Christians in every faith, including the Catholics and one day we will all be together in heaven praising God so we might as well get used to each other and do as the Word says. Accept that which is good and reject that which is not and let folks freely worship God as their heart dictates. As Falwell recently said in church. The pews are thing the Pentacostals jump over and where Baptist sleep but it is none of the business of anyone. God is big enough to sort out all the junk and is able to bless all his children for now we all look through a glass darkly, but one day we will see him as he is and will know everything as it is and in my opinion that is when the crying towels come out and Jesus wipes away all those tears we shed because how ignorant we were while on this earth.
    As for tongues, I will admit it all sounds foolish at times but God said he will use the foolish things of this world to confound those that think they know it all.

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I have visited MANY Pentacostal (sic) churches. My pastor is an ex-Pentecostal and he can clue you in on the "insides", along with several friends of mine who ARE Pentecostal BIG SHOTS who tell an interesting story.

Wild and wooley is not the problem, although maybe I should not have used those particular complaints. The complaints are doctrinal issues such as lack of eternal salvation and Holy Spirit Baptism as shown by speaking in tongues.

These doctrines do NOT belong in a Baptist church, but watch, they are coming, whether we like it or not.

Rock music is NOT the problem. Maybe I should not have even mentioned it, but it is so often used by Pentecostalism to bring up the "emotion" level that people often mistake for the Holy Spirit. I know all about the rock music, I own a contemporary Christian Radio Station and I can also tell you that just because the young people (I'm 47, so I'm very OLD.) like it does not make it right.

You go to a Christian Rock concert and you tell me those kids are worshipping God....then you haven't been to many of the HEAVY Christian Rock concerts. They are nothing more than secular rock and roll that has the name "Christian" attached to it as a marketing scheme to tell parents (such as yourself?) that it is okay for their kids to go.

We're not talking Amy Grant here, we're talking about ROCK and METAL. I have been involved with radio stations (mostly secular) since I was in high-school and I can tell you one thing for certain, Christian ROCK today is motivated by one thing and it AIN'T God. It is the god of the record producers called MONEY and CD SALES!

Yes, you are right, the young people are touched by it, right in the pocket-books. I've seen it, I've been in it and I know how it works. Christian music scene today is more secular and cut-throat than the 1970's top 40 we used to play.

No joke the Pentacostals (sic) (are you sure you were one?) are far from perfect. They preach different doctrines. Contemporary praise and Worship is not the issue either. I did audio for 7 years for a big First Baptist Church that has a full orchestra, praise teams, television broadcasts, etc. I never said there was anything wrong with that.

My point is, maybe Pentecostals are not perfect, either way, why should Baptist churches bring in their incorrect doctrines?

I may be narrow minded, but so was Paul. Have you read his Epistles and noticed how he jumped on churches bringing in doctrines from outside?

I am NOT complaining about what Pentecostals want to do in their churches, personally, I do care, because I love the people, BUT, don't EVER tell me that I cannot speak up about bringing false doctrine into my Baptist Church. Or that I cannot speak about a Baptist church that accepts false doctrines.

Why don't we go ahead and invite the Mormon's to our Sunday Morning worship to speak, after all they talk about Jesus, too? Let's accept the good that they say and ignore that which we don't believe and let God judge us for bringing hearesy into our church.

I am a little surprised at the baptistboard for accepting what is called "Bapticostal" in the Baptist only area, maybe I should start a "Baptorman" and discuss the "golden plates" in the Translations area? [​IMG] :rolleyes:

People had better wake up and realize that accepting any doctrine that has the name "Jesus" attached to it is NOT what the Bible tells us to do? ;)

[ November 06, 2004, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Phillip ]

4. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Phillip,

I was not trying to take a blow at you or make an insult. I'm sorry, but I was just trying to make a statement and ask a question at the same time. All those washed in the blood are God's children. Truly washed. The LDS and the Pentacostal churches are completely different. Pentacostals are by doctrine Christian while LDS's are absolutely not.

Yes, I am younger (25) but I'm not stupid. I know that some of the Pentacostal doctrine is out of this world. I used to be licensed in the Church of God. I came to the Baptist tradition because I feel it is the most in take with the Word of God. The congregation I attended when with the Church of God was not pentacostal in nature though. When I saw the rest of the denomination I ran...fast...

I am not a liberal in any way. I'm sure you would find that you and I share the same fundamentals and moral standards. However, some people (Baptists or other) consider their way the only way to see things in the whole protestant faith. I was told by someone Jesus had a seat reserved for me in Hell because I have a praise and worship CD. People just kill me sometimes.

Anyway, no insult meant. I truly wish you well. I believe I do see what you are saying though. However, I thought you meant that being a non-baptist makes one liberal. Truly sorry.

In Christ,

Brooks

5. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....and I do agree that alot of people become mistaken when they see faith through emotionalism. God can move your emotions, but I don't believe one should base their whole faith on that.

6. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mormon beliefs have never been part of the Baptist tradition, and are contrary to it. Some pentecostal beliefs have been part of the Baptist tradition, from the very early days.

7. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glorifying God--in the flesh.

"God is a Spirit; they that worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in Truth."

"That which is flesh is flesh; that which is spirit is spirit. Ye must be born again."

The pattern of worship has not changed. One cannot worship God in one's flesh--regardless of how "right" it seems.

Selah,

Bro. James

8. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    James - stop twisting the criteria....none of us here have advocated the carnal extremes of charismania...if you cannot interact with what we are actually saying, perhaps you should find another discussion to post your meaningless and irrelevant messages.

9. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

1Corinthians 6:20
    For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

10. mickd7

mickd7 Guest

Let me tackle some of these issues presented if I may.
    First of all there are Bapticostals out there like me and I use that term because I cant decribe it any other way. Maybe Full Gospel is a better term but none the less I am a Baptist in belief and a part of a SBC church which qualifies me , I think ,to be on the Baptist Board.
    Just because some hard core Baptist do not think some Pentacostal doctrine is not of God does not mean it is.. Just because you do not believe in the Gifts of the Spirit i,e tongues etc does not make them wrong because the Bible in 1st Corinthians 12, 13, and 14 specifically deals with the subject and there is nothing that indicates they are not for the church today. If the first church had them we sure need them because we need everything the Holy Spirit can lay on us to help get the Gospel out and be able to stand in these last days.
    I believe in once saved always saved also, but also there is a danger in that doctrine because many Baptist have ended up in hell because some old man in church told a child to go up and and join the church and be baptised and they would be saved, but some may not have really been born again, but because of what they were taught they thought they were cool and lived like the devil all their life and died without true salvation. Now the Pentacostals on the other hand go too far the other direction and make some folks think they have to be saved over and over again, and that also is a danger because it brings fear instead of peace in some instances.
    The truth in somewhere in the middle. I believe a true born again person is saved forever , one time and one time only, as long as he keeps the faith. If a Christian decides they do not wish to serve Jesus anymore, they can give him up because of their free will, but if they do there is no more that can be done for them because they cannot crucify Jesus all over again.
    As for emotions .There is nothing wrong with that and the nice thing about that is everyone is free to worship our Savior as they wish. In other words if you want to praise God by shouting you should be able to do so as long as it is done decently and in order and if you want to worship God quietly that is ok also.
    Why even in Acts we read where some that were filled with the Spirit caused such a ruckus everyone thought they were drunk and indeeed they were, on the Spirit, that is. Now if they could do it we can also.
    Of course there is excess out there in the Christian world but the Baptist can be boring to a fault also, so we need to just accept that which is good and reject that which is bad and let God judge his children and decide which is right.
    Dont be so narrow minded, for Jesus wasnt for he ate with the sinners and mingled with them and I never saw where he condemned music and emotions , if u know what I mean.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. I know a pastor who pastors an Assemblies of God church. His doctrine is not what most AOG folks believe and much more conservative than most SBC folks. So we cannot lump them all together. It seems as though you cannot judge a church by the denominatiuonal label today. In every denomination there are conservatives and liberals. I know of a RCC church where the pastor gives an invitation at the end of each sermon. While I know of an SBC church that mixes with the Mormons.

12. mickd7

mickd7 Guest

You are so right my Christian friend. We have the same problems in our churches that they had in the early church.
    The Pentacostal bunch for the most part are very fundamental and conservative but there are many Pentacostal groups out there and some act crazy and teach false hood and excess.
    What we need to do is accept all the brethren that call Jesus Lord and not worry about how un perfect they are for I have gone to many churches in my 27 years as a Christian, which include Baptist, Pentacostal or Charismatic and found that all churches and denominations have faults.
    As it was once said , when two Baptist get together there will be three opinions, so lets just love the Lord and serve each other and let God judge.

13. The Undiscovered Country

Perhaps this is another area where the US and UK are different because in the UK there are many charismatic Baptist churches. Indeed the majority of evangelical churches generally are charismatic.

14. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

15. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I prefer the term 'charismatic Baptist'; as TUC said, we have many such churches here. We don't use the term 'Bapticostal', I think partly because the charismatic movement that began here in the 1960s and is still going today affected nearly all denominations (including resulting in the formation of the Restorationist-house church movement) and therefore we tend to say 'charismatic [name of denomination eg: Anglican, Baptist, evangelical etc] church', and also because I'm not sure that all charismatics would wish to be associated with specifically Pentecostal doctrines.

Yours in Christ

Matt

16. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thing that gets me is different people view different things as being "pentacostal". For example, some people believe that having contemporary worship services makes one pentacostal.

17. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Indeed. Or sticking one or even two hands in the air during the worship. I've heard one Christian I know say that 'one hand up is evangelical, two is charismatic'!

Yours in Christ

Matt

18. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Entertainment of the flesh,

Is God entertained by our flesh?

We must be entertaining others or ourselves.

Such is not worship of God in Spirit and in Truth.

Selah,

Bro. James

19. mickd7

mickd7 Guest

Praise ye the Lord.
    Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
    Praise him with the timbrel and dance; praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
    Praise him upon the LOUD cymbals; praise him upon the high sounding cymbols.
    Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord, Praise ye the Lord.
    Doggone, sounds like a Pentacostal church and praise God even some Baptist churches today.
    I kind of thank that is entertaining the Lord for he loves music also and loves his people and wants us all to worship him and Praise him.

20. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pentacostals, though our brothers and sisters in Christ I believe walk a thin line in some cases. I've known a kid that was saved one Sunday and the next claimed to have "powers" to cast demons. He would often go to the alter and think he was casting demons out. He didn't know how to have a relationship with God but he supposedly had "powers". Good grief. I've never seen a non-pentacostal do something like that. Please note, I'm not trying to bash anyone, just telling you what I've seen.

I have no problem with someone lifting their hands or something. But seizure type activity and screaming, etc. I don't see that as Biblical worship. It draws all attention to the person. Just my two cents.