1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bapticostals

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jared Hanley, Nov 11, 2010.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The J.W.'s invoke the Word of God also, as do the Mormons. The SDA's believe the gifts of the Spirit are still operational today, thus their justification of Ellen G. White. There is only one truth. Again, if the Pentecostals were not afraid of the truth, then why would then not take the challenge (not criticism) and answer it. Demonstrate the position posted to be false.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Well put. The late great Lloyd Jones believed in a subsequent baptism of the Holy Spirit for power to witness- not for tongues and it had nothing to do with worship style.

Piper seems to me to believe the same thing here. So do I for that matter. I believe one gets the Person of the Holy Spirit the moment he is born again but he gets the power later on.

Edwards, Whitefield, Wesley, Moody, Tozer and many other greats testify of this experience.

You can be thoroughly Baptist and thoroughly reformed and believe these things.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke...appears you've read 'Joy Unspeakable" by M L-J. Splendid.

4. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

"As you received the Lord Jesus Christ so walk ye in Him" - Col. 2:6

The Bible clearly states that Christ was received by faith accompanied by a complete submission to His will. No unrepentant defiant person ever received Christ. No person ever received Christ by works.

This text refutes all those who teach a second work of grace in addition to what was received at the time of salvation necessary to "walk" in the Spirit.

The baptism in the Spirit is not an INDIVIDUAL experience but rather an INSTITUTIONAL accreditation upon the House of God. It occurs HISTORICALLY ONCE in connection with every new "house of God" (Ex. 40:35; 2 Chron. 7:1-3; Acts 2:1). It is the public accreditation by God that the new "house" is now the "house of God."

The last time it occurred was in Acts 10 with the house of Corneilius (Acts 11:15-16). It occurred there because no Jew would accept Gentile believers on an equal basis of membership in the house of God at Jerusalem (Acts 11:1-10).

The nearest historical reference point that Peter could point the witnesses of this happening to was "AT the beginning" or Pentecost. If this had been an individual experience he could have and would have said "SINCE the beginning" as thousands had been saved and baptized "SINCE" the beginning.

I Corinthians 12:13 when carefully exegeted by its immediate and overall context of the book of First Corinthians will demonstrate that it is saying that under the leadership of the Spirit all who have been baptized by water into the congregational body are made to partake of the benefits of the Spirit provided in the congregational body, such as the kind found at Corinth or any other place (Ephesus, Jerusalem, etc.). Diverse spiritual gifts united into one localized congregational body (I Cor. 12:14-27) that are designed to edify each member and further the work of that congregation for the glory of Christ.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I do not reject the validity of the gift of tongues for our own day. It is wrong to insist that they are a necessary part of the baptism of the Spirit; it is not wrong to insist that they are a possible part of that experience today." —John Piper, "Be Filled With the Spirit"

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct, but they are looked at as the least important of gifts & to only be limited in very defined applications & not as jibberish caterwauling.

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Earth wind and Fire...

THANK YOU for that youtube link Elder DJ Wards church service earlier. It impacted me greatly.

I have always been greatly blessed by how our black brothers and sisters do "church". I am always blessed when I visit one.

I was playing electric guitar with a worship band several years ago and we were asked to play at a black church. We were just about the only white people there, and it was one of the highlights of my life. God almighty was their strongly that night.

I am white as the driven snow yet I have considered joining a black baptist church. I couldnt care less about the color of peoples skin. Its pure stupidity to make an issue of it.

It wouldnt surprise me one bit if I join a black church somewhere down the road. If I'm there, and God touches me with a clear word...I'll walk right up there and make my request.

Praise the Lord.

...and I googled DJ Ward and discovered that he had his homecoming a couple of years ago.

He has recieved his reward. Amen. Praise God