1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptism before 18 yrs. old

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Gina B, Jun 4, 2006.

1. FollowMeHome

FollowMeHome New Member

Donna,

That's your opinion and I'll take it as that.

2. FollowMeHome

FollowMeHome New Member

Do you not believe that Jesus was God in the form of a person?

3. BD17

BD17 New Member

As an infant. And by my pastor.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Your not really looking to learn about your new baptist faith are you, for the purpose of correcting the false you've learned from the rcc. if you do not want to know and beleive the truth of scripture and want to stay with rcc false teachings, then why are you a baptist?:confused:

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

consistancy? what you won't find is consistancy in the rcc compared to scripture.

6. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

With at least two people proclaiming their infant baptism in this thread I was wondering if this is still a Baptist only section. I know of no Baptist that would baptize an infant----as a matter of fact to do so would negate their claim of being Baptist.

Bro Tony

7. BD17

BD17 New Member

Never said I was Baptist.

8. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Then you shouldn't be posting in a Baptist only section.

Bro Tony

9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gina L.

I have not allowed my children to be Baptized. My son made a "profession of faith" at age 8. He will be 15 next month. My daughter will be nine soon. She made a "profession of faith" 3 years ago. They have never, to my satisfaction, displayed an understanding of what it means to walk in a manner worthy of a profession of faith in Jesus Christ.

It is not a matter of "understanding" what certain words mean. It is not about saying a certain prayer. Children are easily manipulated into doing and saying whatever their parents, teachers or friends want them to do or say. Salvation is about a transformed life.

Their salvation does not depend of their baptism, or lack thereof. If their professions of faith are genuine, I expect the Holy Spirit to lead them into a realization of a transformed life. If not, I don't want to put stumbling blocks in their paths that could be used by Satan to convince them they are saved when they aren't.

peace to you:praise:

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Good for you Candy;

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

if you aren't baptist you are posting in the worng forum.

12. gekko

gekko New Member

i was baptized 4 years ago now. when i understood what baptizm was. and when i had a surface knowledge (i call it surface knowledge now because it is compared to now) of being a christian. yeah i was a christian when i was baptized.
    an amazing experience i tell ya.

but to stop your kid from getting baptized if they're younger then 18? i dont know... bells goin off there...

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Good for you, Candy.

14. FollowMeHome

FollowMeHome New Member

Where did you get all of your divine knowledge of the Catholic church?

15. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Followmehome

Welcome. It seems you have stepped into a buzzsaw here. You stated earlier you were confused about some of the Baptist Beliefs, so maybe I can give you a quick overview.

1. Baptist were called "baptists" because they insisted on believer's baptism as the only biblical, and therefore proper, baptism for a Christian. This meant the person must be able to understand, repent, and turn to Christ in belief and faith for true salvation. Infants are, therefore, not considered candidates for baptism in most baptist congregations.

2. Baptist generally believe that baptism is the first step of obedience for a new Christian. It is a symbol of their own death, burial and resurrection of a new man, into their Lord and Savior. As a symbol, it does not actually remove any sin, nor does it save you. Some may argue you receive the Holy Spirit at baptism, but most believe the Holy Spirit already indwells the new believer.

3. Baptism has traditionally been considered an ordinance for membership into the Church. Therefore, new members are usually baptized, or they transfer a "letter" from a church of "like faith and practice", or they give a testimony concerning their own salvation and baptism.

It grieves me that some people "jumped" on your posts, and questioned whether you were actually a baptist or not, saved or not, and so on.

I hope that this experience will not discourage you in your new church, nor from posting on this forum.

peace to you:praise:

16. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Me. My son before the age of 10, but for medical reasons my daughter (younger than my son) could not do so for a year or so. She is in her 50's today and still has not been baptized. I was very happy my son was baptized, and that my daughter has not seen fit to do so. The decision of one's soul is a one-on-one situation, and we fall or rise on what is in our heart, not what denomination we belong to, or whether we have been "water baptized".
    Believers have blood all over them. I know you use "dry believers" for clarity, but no believer is born "dry". "And such were some of you: BUT YE ARE WASHED, but ye are sentenced, but ye are justified, in the name of the Lord Jesus, and BY THE SPIRIT OF OUR GOD", I Corinthians 6:11.
    What's to understand. The everlasting gospel is to fear God. What will take that fear away. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and it is a done deal. If your children made their own decision to trust the Lord Jesus Christ for their salvation, they have already been baptized.
    You are right.

You have taught them to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and it is up to them to work out their own salvation.
    We today have no scriptural guidance in this matter.[quote]
    When: Should be left to the individual.

Who: Prerogative of the particular church, or denomination.

17. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have 4 sons who are christians, they were baptised at various ages between 9 and 17. Each made the decision himself, it included talking with myself, my wife, the church pastor. So, as for age, it was as each was convicted that it was the thing to do in obediance to God.

Each was baptised by the church pastor, again their choice. I belive the bible teaches baptism of belivers by immersion, who does the baptising is to a large extent irrelavent. There is a convenience and respect in the pastor or church elders doing it, but in reality as a beliver in the priesthood of all belivers.. well any priest will do....

Regards
    Bob

18. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Bro Tony, he believes the "great commission".

19. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Amen! Acts 16 over Acts 2.

20. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I had the awesome honor of baptizing my daughter about a year and half back when she was 7.
    Although we discussed salvation and what it meant to be a Christian often before she professed Christ as her Lord and Savior...i didn't go into great details that would lead to a commitment until she understood in own sinfunless and the need for a Savior; from there baptism was just a step of obedience.
    So personally, i see no need to not baptize young people.

At the same time, in most baptist churches baptism means automatic membership (whether the candidate realizes it or not), the downfall of the situation is that you have kids as young as 4 or 5 in some cases who are authorized to "vote" in church matters.
    So, i can see a reason for delaying baptism for that reason...but it's still not a good enough reason to avoid a Biblical mandate.