1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptism: Immediately After Conversion? Wait?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tom Butler, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Well, let's see. Those who see no harm in delaying baptism are guilty of inventive bureaucracy, authoritarianism, line drawing; of being judgmental, Pharisaical, disturbing and liberal--with a little bit of sarcasm thrown in.

I'm just shocked! Annsi, a liberal? I'm just devastated. Ann, say it ain't so!

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Tom, didn't you say one must be baptized to take communion? You would deny both baptism and communion to a new brother in Christ?

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

My wife, before we were married, was saved at age 16. She is of Mexican heritage and her father refused to allow her to be baptized. We started dating at that time and the pastor advised for her not to be baptized behind his back but to wait and see. After six months or so, her dad relented and allowed her to be baptized. Do you think she should have ignored what he said or do you think she did the right thing?

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

She did the right thing. Baptism is a hard decision in Mexico (and even in south Texas). USA pastors who are used to "ding 'em, dunk 'em, and drop 'em" cannot comprehend.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

In the ORBs, when someone gives their hand to the church, letting the church know that God has saved them, we leave it up to them if they want to be baptized that very moment, that evening, or maybe two weeks later(or longer?).

But, in Acts 8:26-39, the Eunuch was baptized the very instant he saw the water. He asked Philip what was hindering him from being baptized. Philip told him, he confessed Jesus Christ as the Son of God. Philip then commanded the chariot to stop, and he took him, and laid the Ethiopian Eunuch in his "liquid grave". The Eunuch went on his way rejoicing, and Philip was led away in the Spirit.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Keep in mind Philip was instructed directly by God to go to the eunuch,

And all through acts apostolic sign gifts were being manifest, they could often see who actually had the Spirit by sign manifestations....which no longer happen as the Apostles are in heaven now.....but it was immediate and visible then.

Sometimes elders were immediatly appointed by the apostles....today we examine a person and his family living and ministering among the saints to see if he is qualified......not a novice.....
    You cannot always make a direct correlation to apostolic practice

#46 Iconoclast, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

How do I fit into this discussion? Short version of a long story.

Joined the church, in another demonination, as a teenager. Church gave choice to be sprinkled or immersed. Chose to be sprinkled.

Drifted away from the church for many years.

Accepted an invitation to visit a local Baptist church, less than 2 years ago. After a few months of attendance, accepted the pastor's invitation to join their church. Membership accepted via letter. A few months later, gave my testimony to the congregation, ending it with the statement that I wanted to rededicate my life to Christ and to be baptised by immersion. A little over a month later I was baptised by immersion. That was 11 months ago.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Hello Oldtimer good to meet you. Actually what you are describing fits in another thread going on here better. However some of what you described is a little uncommon in most Baptist churches. Most would not have accepted your letter for membership as it was from another denomination. Most Baptist churches would have required you to be Baptized to join.
    There are some other issues you mentioned but this is not the thread for them.
    http://www.gerald285.com/web_media/TrueChristianityJohnMacArthhur.wma

#48 freeatlast, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Still think that we need to really look at the truth that book of Acts was a transistion period between Old and new Covenants, and tht some of what was done there was not normitive for going forward, as what was outlined leter on in the NT epistles would be what would be considered as norm for the Church!

Botht the Tongues and mass conversions among the jews would be fulfillment of OT prophecies, and they would know what the baptism signified...

Notice that later on, even the Apostle paul was "happy" just baptised a few among them, was much more into preaching Christ crucified and risen!

10. JesusFan

Charasmatics/pentacostalists get theology from Acts, we get Baptism...

Could both bei n partiall error, not recognising that some things done in Acts reflect transistion between Old/New Covenants, and really need to look at the later NT Epistles for the normitive examples for the Christian faith...

NOT saying Acts was not equally inspired, just not sure if fully applicapable for today!

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly what I said Jim but then I was accused of having liberal ideas. ;)

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So if your life is in the balance go ahead and if not just wait? :BangHead: Now that argument has to be one for the record. Not everyone was under a death threat in the bible so show us one instance where baptism was withheld to prove conversion.

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The thief on the cross. :smilewinkgrin:

14. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently only until they pass the test, after the required instruction, have gone through a probationary period and have met the standards for final approval. Can't give that stuff away for free you know.

15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No....we both get theology and both get baptism....both fully applicable for today. We just have to understand what was going on that was, unique, and revelatory,,,,,,and what is continuous.
    We have not seen much of Annanias and Sappharia acts5...happening today in such a dramatic fashion, yet it did happen and we can learn by it.
    We have all the apostolic testimony...they did what they did in their time.
    Our time is not identical. there is much theology in Acts...but all of it is not exactly the norm.

16. JesusFan

you forgot giving orally and in written form the biblcal references for TULIP!

17. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

As usual Jim you "hit the nail on the head"!

Unfortunately to a lot of people being baptized is a lark. I believe some young ones run down the aisle just to get wet!

18. JesusFan

or because their parents and pastor tell them get it done or else!

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I was thinking a requirement for a 12 week program for those who suggest that they could not believe of their own free will through love of truth and have bought into that they had to be forced into belief might be a good thing. I’d call it Recognition of Theological Fatalism and the Pit Falls of Calvinism.

20. JesusFan

the advanced class after that intro is pauline Justification based upon the Divine Election of the saints in Christ, as per Romans!