1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptism in a shower?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by convicted1, Sep 23, 2007.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

A while back, I was talking with my father-in-law about baptizing someone in a bathtub who was terminally and how Brother Bob had done this several times. He mentioned that he thought that if they couldn't make it to the water, you could place a chair in a shower, and say "We baptize this, our brother/sister in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost". Then turn the shower on a make sure they get covered in the water. He is a devout baptist, and I understand his reasoning about this, but how can you do the batism as a sign of the death, burial, and resurrection by turning on the shower? This kinda falls in line with how the Amish people do their baptisms. They will bow on their knees, cover their face, and someone pours a bucket of water over them. I had not thought about the shower procedure a whole lot until the other day, when I thought about how it's not "in-line" with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. What do y'all think??

Willis

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I think that if that is the absolute only way a person can get baptized, then go for it. I just doubt that that would be the only way. THey make chairs that lift people out (and in) pools, so that might be an option. Nevertheless, I think its the posture of the heart that matters more than anything else.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Here are a few question:

1. Was the tomb in which Jesus was buried a six-foot deep tomb like ours today?

2. Weren't the corpses embalmed as in the case of Lazarus?

3. So what difference does it make whether it was the whole body or not, a pool or a shower?

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

It makes all the difference whether it is the whole body or not. Shower, tub, pool, or otherwise but the symbolism encompasses the whole not just a part.

If we can take this ordinance and substitute what we want for it (maybe even sprinkling), can we not substitute the bread of the Lords supper for Pizza Hut's garlic bread, or the juice/wine for pop? Or we might lust leave out one or the other since we don't need the whole symbolism just a part?

Yes, that is sarcasm (and specifically directed at you brother), but at the same an honest question.

Or maybe I just misread your comment and or intent. If so, I appologize.

#4 Allan, Sep 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2007
  5. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

One of the most interesting baptism I ever saw was that of a parapeligec man. They used someone's private pool to do it. Several people held him up in the water, then the pastor quickly and ever so gently ducked his head under. I agree a healthy person should go full immersion, but there should be options for those for whom that would just be too dangerous.

love,

Sopranette

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Allan, I've read of situations where plain old saltines and orange juice were substituted, so it's already being done.

Changing the mode of baptism to something other than immersion, dipping, plunging, and calling it baptism doesn't make it so.

To substitute for the real thing misleads the baptismal candidate and basically undermines scripture and dilutes the symbolism.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It seems to me anyone who could sit in a shower, could sit in a bathtub of water where they could be put completely under and raised to show the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord. What I have done by baptizing in a bath tub was not accepted with gladness by everyone, but no one objected either for I did put them under.
    I have used my pool at home for baptizing also, it works great. Lately I used the baptisery at another church (ask Bro Convicted1), it worked great also. I really don't think I personally would use a shower, but again as I had a sister dying not too long ago, and they would not let her out of bed, so I just prayed with her. That night she dreamed that I baptized her in a water fall, that was as clear as a crystal. She died the next day, and she left here satisfied.

BBob,

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

There you go turning it up another notch. :thumbs:

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Maybe you guys have never seen a REALLY sick person? One who is on a respirator, mulitple IV's, cathetar, burn victims, just come out of major surgery, mulitple broken bones? Would you really try to move this person into a tub or baptismal just so they could be baptized "properly"? It sounds like you believe in salvation by baptism.

I think everyone should be immersed who is able, because that is an issue of the heart, but to place that "rule" on even the deathly ill seems legalistic to me.

Maybe I have misunderstood.

10. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Immersion should be the norm. But some folks usually the elderly cannot place their head, submersed under water. I once spoke to a church who was looking for a Pastor. the previous and very young Pastor forced the submersion onan 89 year old woman who suffered from respirtory problems. They did not want another Pastor who would use such poor judgement. I do not blame them.

In this case(and I have never done it) what would be in error with symbolizing the burial with a sheet while laying on a bed?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen, Amy.

It's symbolic in nature. The amount of bodyparts that are covered by H2O doesn't make a baptism...it's the heart and obedience of the person being baptized, and knowing what it's symbolic of that matters.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

hmmmm, wonder why Jesus gave us that example then???

We have baptized some pretty sick folks in our day that had tubes and even breathing through a hole in their neck where we had to have a nurse right there also to cover the hole, and was able to baptize. I suspect we as ministers have seen many more different situations than any lay person has.
    As far as symbolic, the person being baptized has their say in a baptism and most if not all want to go in the water someway. I do my best to make them satisfied, for they are the ones who matter to me.
    I have had some refuse for me to make some other way to be baptized, if not the water, they would wait. So give the Minister some room to have common sense. We are the ones who deal with it.

BBob,

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What method was the thief on the cross baptized?

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is a whole topic in itself.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So is the theif on the cross........

If you read all of the posts you would of seen where I had to deal with that also.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

9600 posts are a lot to go back through, BB :laugh:

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

18. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptism is voluntary

Baptism is a voluntary act of obedience. It should never be forced upon an individual. If a sickly individual receives Christ and desires to be baptized, the church should comply with all reasonableness.

#18 Pastor_Bob, Sep 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2007
  19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Your comments are fine, my brother.

1. Yet you have not understand about how we should understand "being buried with Jesus in water baptism" is His burial is not like ours.

2. I'm all for immersion; I'm not as radical as I sounded.

3. Concerning the LS, the elements are specified.

20. Allan

Allan Active Member

For some reason, as I type, my fingers refuse to put down the word 'not' 98% of the time. Seriously. I have to go back and re-read what I write to make sure it was there. I say there becuase when I said :
    "Yes, that is sarcasm (and specifically directed at you brother), but at the same an honest question." it should have read:
    Yes, that is sarcasm (and not specifically directed at you brother), but at the same an honest question.

However, the point about "how we should understand being buried...it is not like ours".
    Actually it maintains the same. They entombed Christ but he was still wholely put inside the earth or even was completely set into a thing.

As I said, it maintains the same sybolism and does not change in any significant way.

FOR ALL OTHERS ABOUT BAPTISING THE ILL OR MEDICALLY CHALLAGED>>
    I have seen it done many times. But it should be done thoughtfully and properly. I have seen their physician attend or that the baptism was done in a Hospital so to make sure nothing went amiss. Baptism does not save but it IS considered one of our first steps of obedience AS WE CAN. The pastor AND congregation should be sensitive to the needs of the person while encouraging them on in their faith.

As I have said before, I have seen people with absolute medical phobias of water, (they would not even get in a tub to bathe) and yet God moved after a time in their heart that their faith moved them beyond their fear to be baptised.
    I have seen those with IV's and such be baptised in the biblical fashion and with nurses or doctors present to help make sure the patient is safe. (if a person is on a respirator how do you even know they want to be baptised in the first place?? :laugh: )

Anyway, if we are talking about forced baptism, THAT I'm against. But if we are speaking of thoughfully considered baptism in conjunction with the persons request, well - I have yet to not see this fulfilled in a safe and God honoring way.