1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptism in Spirit for baptized believers only

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Nov 20, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Mr 1:8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

Ac 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

Can anyone find any pre-pentecost promise of the Spirit BY JOHN that was not given strictly and only to a plural "YOU" who were ALREADY water baptized believers in Christ?

Can anyone find any pre-pentecostal promise of the Spirit BY JESUS that was not given strictly and only to a pluarl "YOU" who were ALREADY water baptized believers in Christ assemblying with him from the time of John's baptism until His ascension?

Text please for anything different?

On the day of Pentecost was not Peter's condition for the promise based on both repentance and baptism in water - Acts 2;38?

Would not those conditions by Peter ON PENTECOST demand that the baptism in the Spirit was subsequent to regeneration and indwelling by the Spirit which occurred at the point of faith previous to water baptism (Gal. 3:1-5).

Hence, baptism in the Spirit is not equal to regeneration or at regeneration.

Would not Peter's statement to the church in Acts 11:15 which he defines as the baptism in the Spirit deny it is an individual experience whether before or after water baptism since the nearest reference point was "AT the beginning"? Thousands of individuals were saved between Acts 2 and Acts 10 and if the baptism in the Spirit had been an individual experience he should have said "SINCE the beginning" not "AT the beginning."

#1 The Biblicist, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have received the FULLNESS of the Holy spirit the very moment saved/converted by god, as the "Baptism" in the Spirit is done to ALL saved when first saved, regardless of water baptism or not!

3. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Da Jeshua had one of the following 2 experiences, which caused him to jump ship:

(1) God told him that his Pentecostal church was involved in false S-W-M.

(2) Satan told him that his Pentecostal church was involved in false S-W-M.
    In this case #2, the church might just have been A-OK (but many are not).

He said the baptism with the Holy Spirit is salvation (in the above post).
    IMO, he said he has never spoken in tongues.
    Ergo, from these 2 things ...
    he never was Pentecostal and really didn't belong in any Pentecostal church, period.

Now I'ze puttin' on my wet suit 'cause da furr is a-gonna be a-flyin'!

#3 evangelist-7, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
  4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Give me a break! You ignored my challenges to produce ONE TEXT that contradicted my assertions. You simply make an unsupported and completely unsupportable assertion.

Now, please address my questions and respond to them if you can and quit giving me talking points!

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ALl received the Holy spirit when God saved them, and we ALL are commanded to be filled up with him, never to be/get Baptism in/with Him!!

Jesus is the one who baptises us with/in him at the rebirth, for unless one has the Spirit, there are NOT saved!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well, being a prophet is not one of your gifts!

I used to speak in other tongues, used to prophesy for YEARS within local assemblies, had words of knowledge 'come thue" twice in a specific fashion, but thank God I was kept from going into word of faith heresy!

And realise now though God was involved in a little bit of thast MUCH of it was emotionalism and pride and ignorance of the Bible!

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are just as bad SavedbyMercy. He could not answer the posts so he acted like a parrot and just repeated his mantra without one iota of scripture. You are doing the exact same thing! If you can't make a reasonable response go some place else.

8. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

HEY ... I also thank God that you didn't go into it, and ditto for the prosperity gospel, and many others as well.

Okay, you did say that God told you to get out of that church because the S-W-M were false ... right?

I will assume it was God who told you to get out.
    Did He mean they were false S-W-M in that church ... or ... what you were doing was false?

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, its not that the Assemblies of god that i was in was a false church, its more like their 'distinctive" pentacostal viewpoints were NOT lining up with the bible!

More like their doctrine were not heresy/errors. more like mis interpreting the bible!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    christians receive the holy spirit at moment of faith place into jesus as Saviour, correct?

ALL of us have partaken of same Spirit, correct?

we are commanded ONLY to be refilling with him, NOT to get Baptised in him, correct?

So that "baptism" would mean that ALL christians who have been saved by hrace of God experienced that, and NO ordinances was involved in happening, coorect?

11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Deal with the OP! I know what you believe as you just repeat it over and over, and over without scriptures. Deal with the OP!

Mr 1:8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

Ac 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

Can anyone [/B find any pre-pentecost promise of the Spirit BY JOHN that wa]s not given strictly and only to a plural "YOU" who were ALREADY water baptized believers in Christ?

Can anyone find any pre-pentecostal promise of the Spirit BY JESUS that was not given strictly and only to a pluarl "YOU" who were ALREADY water baptized believers in Christ assemblying with him from the time of John's baptism until His ascension?

Text please for anything different?

On the day of Pentecost was not Peter's condition for the promise based on both repentance and baptism in water - Acts 2;38?

Would not those conditions by Peter ON PENTECOST demand that the baptism in the Spirit was subsequent to regeneration and indwelling by the Spirit which occurred at the point of faith previous to water baptism (Gal. 3:1-5).

Hence, baptism in the Spirit is not equal to regeneration or at regeneration.

Would not Peter's statement to the church in Acts 11:15 which he defines as the baptism in the Spirit deny it is an individual experience whether before or after water baptism since the nearest reference point was "AT the beginning"? Thousands of individuals were saved between Acts 2 and Acts 10 and if the baptism in the Spirit had been an individual experience he should have said "SINCE the beginning" not "AT the beginning."

12. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

The #1 false doctrine of the AOG being that ...
    the Spirit baptism is NOT a special "anointing" (the so-called "second blessing"), right?

So, why not bring forth (again?) a few verses which prove your doctrine is correct?

Caution for everyone re: everything ...
    Just because a person does NOT have the revelation of something does NOT mean it is incorrect.
    I.E. Not everything is clear in the Scriptures ... historically, there have been several major controversies.

#12 evangelist-7, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Baptism in the Spirit is something ALL christians have had happened to them, see Apostle paul!

14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are wrong. You have no texts to support your repetitious nonsense and you cannot respond to the OP. So far no one has been able to overturn the OP.

You really think if you repeat and error long enough it becomes true??

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess the Apostle paul was confused, Eh?

English Standard Version (©2001)
    For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

#15 Yeshua1, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  16. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Would you care to open a thread for serious discussion on 1 Cor. 12:13 and its contextual meaning?

17. billwald

billwald New Member

The IP tries to argue from silence. Does anyone care to base their entire theology on positive and negative NT statements?

18. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I think you need to read it more carefully. I have not coming from silence but from what every single solitary pre-pentecost states both positively and negatively.

Every text by John is positively directed toward those whom he clearly and repeatedly states were baptized in water. In every text the plural "you" is used by both John and Jesus. On Pentecost, Peter states the very same thing to the audience that water baptism precedes the gift.

Nothing I said is based upon silence.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John baptism was to repentance, and water baptism adds NOTHING to ones state/condition before god,a s that is by Grace alone/faith alone!

And that was all before the coming of the Spirit after the death/resurrection of christ, so NOT addressed to believers in new Covenant era!

20. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Water baptism is only for repentant believers in Christ -Acts 19:5; Lk. 24:46 with Matthew 28:19

John would not baptize anyone who did not provide FRUITS of repentance - Mt. 3:6-8

John would not baptize anyone who did not first believe in Christ - Acts 19:5

John preached the gospel of jesus Christ - Jn. 3:36

You have been brainwashed and it is very evident as you cannot support your position with scriptures and so you just repeat your mantra that you have embraced. Further discussion is pointless as you are not open to scriptures that evaporate your theories.

#20 The Biblicist, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012