1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptism of a believer

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Preacher2015, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Preacher2015

Preacher2015 New Member

I have a friend who recently got saved. We were childhood friends and he wants me to baptize him but he plans on attending church in another town. Is this ok?

2. KLD

KLD New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Then He [Jesus] said unto them [the apostles], 'Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that does not believe will be condemned" (Mark 16:15-16).

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Baptism is an ordinance of the local church. Not the individual Christian.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I lean toward being conservative on this matter as TC has pointed out but in this case, if it were I I would do as he wishes and tell him to seek council from the Pastor where ihe is to attend and if advised to be baptized again, to do so.

5. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many people would offer the example of Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch (Acts 8) as an example of a Christian baptizing without the authority of a local church. What we must remember is that the book of Acts is a transitional book that contains several things that the New Testament Church today no longer practices. Philip very well may have been baptizing under the authority of the church at Jerusalem. The truth is, we do not know for sure.

6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Baptize your friend. It's the initiation into Christianity, not just a church.

7. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How far is the other town? Have him invite some members to witness him being baptized by you...baptists want witnesses for everything...even the green bean cassarole. That way the church has witnesses to his immersion. But, as Bros. TC PB stated, it is under authority of the local church.