1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptism

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Eddie Robinson, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Eddie Robinson

Eddie Robinson New Member

I am getting married in about five months. The woman I am marrying is Holiness and I am Baptist. Her pastor said he can't marry us because when I got Baptized it was in the name of the Father, Son, And Holy Spirt. And she was baptized in Jesus name. I don't know what to do at this point. Is this right show he not marry us because of that. And another thing he said if I get Baptized in Jesus name he will do it

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Eddie, the Son is Jesus so you WERE baptized in Jesus' name. What about YOUR pastor? Which church will you attend after your marriage? The husband is to be the spiritual leader/ head of the household and already you are having issues.

Baptism doesn't save anyone. Being re-baptized won't hurt but again, which church will you attend and will you both be happy there? You've got a lot of thinking and praying together to do over the next five months.

Diane

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Holiness churches don't know what they are talking about. They deny the trinity. If your girlfriend really believes this, she isn't even saved.

You need to carefully ask her what she thinks of the trinity.

A wrong answer is idolatry.

4. Precepts

Precepts New Member

O.K., let me ask a stupid question, and I don't expect a stupid answer.

Where in the Bible does it say, "If you don't believe in the Holy Trinity, you are not saved."?

Now I am unmistakingly a "Trinitarian" by conviction, but I don't see where the Bible specifies a person first must believe in the Trinity to be saved.

Eddie, I wouldn't be careful about asking her anything, except if she is willing to leave her Holiness doctrine behind and be totally open to YOUR Baptist doctrine. The reason is this, if you marry without getting this settled, it will eventually cause problems. I wouldn't "push" anything on her, but Diane is right, you do need to lead, and I would lead her straight to the Baptist church.

Also, since you are a Baptist, I presume, then I wouldn't ask her pastor anymore questions and start asking yours, like is it really the will of God for you to marry her?

The simple truth is you two are unequally yoked in this particular area, and until you have her follow you in the Baptist doctrine, it will remain that way.

You are decidedly ansd by conviction a Baptist aren't you?

5. Emily

Emily New Member

Daniel David

I completely agree with quickening Spirit..
    If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, you shall be saved.

I also believe in a triune God, but would never say that holiness people arent saved.

6. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

People, the Scriptures say that those who do not have the correct doctrine of Christ do not have God. If Trinitarianism is true, than anything else is IDOLATRY and a perverted Christ.

Further, Christ explicitly says that to believe in him is to believe in the one who sent him, namely the Father.

Basic stuff here.

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eddie:

We don't know you; we don't even know if you're real.

If this is a problem, perhaps you should talk to your pastor, not some folks on line who don't even know you.

This is not intended to be rude; but the situation is far too important to be settled on a message board. If you are sincere, I can say more in private.

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...but if he isn't, then let me add this advice: Don't you dare get married until you and your fiancee figure out which church your children will attend, and what beliefs they'll follow. And then you both start attending that church together, and practicing those beliefs together.

If one or the other of you isn't willing to do that, then don't get married. Period.

[ January 19, 2004, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: C.S. Murphy ]

9. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Daniel David has it exactly right.
    Here's why:
    This is not from scripture but from a radio minister I heard years ago. It is obviously the truth. "Idolatry is the thinking of God as being anything, but Who He really and truly is."
    Who is God, really and truly? Is He the Oneness view of God? No. Oneness view, therefore, Idolatry.
    As for actual scripture:
    Mat. 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
    Never in human history has a more important question been asked, and never has the correct answer been more vital. Again we ask: is who He is the oneness view of Him? Again, no.
    John 8:24. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins; for if ye believe not that I am HE, ye shall die in your sins.
    Okay, is the Oneness view of Him really HE? No. Therefore what shall happen to them that believe that way? "...ye shall die in your sins."
    Having the correct view of God is absolutely essential. God has never tolerated a wrong view of Him and He never will.
    Now to the original poster. You are an adult and you will do what you feel is best. But speaking to you as a brother now: If she does not come around to the scriptual view of God and the Lord Jesus-DON'T DO IT! One with an incorrect view of God is an unbeliever of the real One. You will have an unequal yoke.

10. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Amen brother, I agree 100%
    Murph

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

My friend, I think this is a serious issue. Too often doctrinal/church issues are overlooked in marriage because "he/she says she believes in God" and "we like each other" and "he/she treats me well." The most important thing in a marriage is spiritual compatibility. If you are spiritually compatible, then you can begin to look at things like mutual interests, tastes, looks, personality, etc. As it stands, you will not be comfortable in her church and she will not be comfortable in yours. You look at God and his work in very different ways.

If you are a Baptist and she is a Pentecostal, you are not spiritually compatible unless one of you changes. If she is a oneness pentecostal, there is a very good chance that she is not a true believer. While that may sound rough to say, remember theology must drive our beliefs. What does the Scripture say about it? It has been pointed out here.

While it may be tough to break up with someone you care about, it will be much easier in the long run. Don't make a decision driven by your glands. Make it based on God's word. If you think breaking up with this girl would be bad, imagine what it would be like living with her. She may be a nice girl and make your stomach flip flop. But going to church by yourself gets old in a hurry. Seeing your children go to church somewhere else gets old in a hurry. Get some sound advice from your pastor or an older man in the faith whose opinion you respect. If he tells something other than what I have said, ignore him :D ... Seriously, get some advice and think long and hard. It sounds like you may be making a mistake here.

12. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

QuickeningSpirit said:

Where in the Bible does it say, "If you don't believe in the Holy Trinity, you are not saved."?

Rejection of the truth about the nature of God is a violation of the first commandment; a rejection of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in favour of a god of one's own invention.

Anti-Trinitarianism denies Christianity right from first principles.

13. Emily

Emily New Member

I dont know about that.. I mean, there is a lot of lack of evidence of the trinity..

From what I understand of holiness and oneness, they believe in the power of all three and the godliness of all three, but cant call it the trinity because there is no scriptural evidence of it..

I wholeheartedly agree that God is triune, but I would never be able to show someone why I believe that..

That's kind of scary to me.

14. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Oneness pentecostals are essentially modalists, an old heresy from the early church. The believe that God is one, but that he manifested himself in different ways, or different "modes," at different times. It is a violation of clear Scriptural teaching that the Father, Son, and Spirit are both distinct and co-existent at the same time.

15. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

Modes clearly cannot be right. How can Jesus, God the Son in human flesh, be on earth praying in the garden of Gethsemane to the Father, "let your will be done", and also tell his disciples that he will send the Comforter who is the Holy Spirit?

There is the trinity right there plain as day.

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Start with what James J posted above; also look at Jesus' baptism where, as he rose from the waters, a voice from heaven spoke and said, "This is my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased."

And then there's 1 John 5:7 (which I know some would argue shouldn't be there), which says "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

There's actually quite a bit of scriptural evidence for the Trinity.