1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptism

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by steveo, Aug 28, 2004.

1. steveo

steveo New Member

My question is does your church let people become members before they are baptized or after they are baptized. I am in my first pastorate and our bylaws aren't very clear.
    We are in the process of rewording some parts.

2. Doc Yankum

Doc Yankum New Member

Baptism is the first of the two ordinances of the church and is the act of obedience by which a saved individual enters the Baptist Church. He is not a member until baptized.

3. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

Though I agree with Doc that an individual who is not baptised should not be allowed to join, it is not the means in which an individual enters a Baptist Church. The reason an individual should not be allowed to join until they are baptized is simply that they are not living in obedience to the Word of God.

People typically join churches by Baptism, Statement of Faith, and by letter. These are just methods used by the local church.

4. steveo

steveo New Member

Pastor J,
    Our bylaws say statement of faith.
    Does statement of faith include baptism also or the person just saying they have been saved?
    My wife said we became members at our old baptist church before we got baptized, but I thought it was official when we were baptized.

5. Rookiepastor

Rookiepastor New Member

Steveo

I was taught that statement of faith is for those people who cannot get a letter from a closed church, or lost records etc.

6. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

A Christian who refuses Baptism almost always falls away from Church. If they cannot commit to a simple task (hydrophobia excepted) then they will not commit to a Church. PLUS, to refuse Baptism is sin, as it is a command not a suggestion. I would have them baptized first if they have never been or will not allow them to join as members.

and statement of faith is going on faith that they are telling the truth that they were saved and baptized in the past somewhere at some point.

7. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Interesting thread. Wide varience, even in SBC churches. It has always been my belief that after a statement of faith, the convert needs to be baptized ASAP to to accepted as a member of the local body. But, alas, many times it doesn't happen that way. Of course, we know that baptism doesn't give salvation, but is a symbol of obedience and new life. In one church I pastored, when I arrived, 43 people were awaiting baptism for as long as a year. In fact, the church where I have my membership has done baptism/church membership at least 3 different ways. Please, let's have some more dialog on this. Thanks,
    WallyGator

8. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

In my old Church there was a girl who was scared to death of water because she nearly drowned as a child. Yet upon her salvation experience she said that she loved God so much that she would face the baptismal pool rather than be disobedient (something she noted of her own study of the Bible). She did it too!!!

wonderful illustration to those who do not like to go to Sunday School