1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some groups will baptise you three time - one for the Father, onc for the Son and one for the Holy Spirit. Is it much ado about nothing, or should we only dunk once?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We only do it once since it is in the name (singular) of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (matthew 28:18-20). But I don't care.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ was baptized with water once. If we follow his example anything more than that is just getting wet.

4. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here, although there have been some that I wanted to hold under until they REALLY repented!

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    know that feeling!!!:thumbsup:

6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I think you're probably right, but how do you know this?

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's just my opinion, Zenas. If he had been dunked 3 times, I think scripture would be specific about it. Also, baptism is supposed to represent his death, burial, and resurrection (as salvation is our death to sin, etc.) He was buried once, not three times, so it just stands to reason that one dunk is sufficient.

The one time scripture is specific about more than one "dunk" is in the story of Naaman, who had leprosy. He was told to dunk 7 times, but that was not for baptism, it was for healing.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    off topic (but I am the OP) wonder why faith healers of today do not have folks dunk 7 times for physical healing - if you want to answer - start a new thread

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Depends on how wet you want to get. :smilewinkgrin:

Seriously, I agree with abc. There's no scriptural evidence whatsoever that people went under three times.

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you check out JND Kelley's Early Christian Creeds and read the section on the baptismal formulas of the early church you'll see this practice occurring. Thus it has historical validity.

That said, I don't do it I figure once was good enough for Jesus its good enough for everyone. I just try not to "And I baptize you in the name of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit" while holding them under water...:saint:

11. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Just because something was done "historically" does not mean it is Biblically correct. The Crusades were done "historically", should we say that they have "historical validity"?

12. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

I don’t know if it is just me; But I would not baptize anyone, with “open sin” in their life.

I don’t need new Church members, that bad.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is off OP, but an excellent point - so lets continue the discussion on waiting on baptistm...

and now back to our reqular scheduled discusison on Triune baptistm...

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Immersing FACE FORWARD three times is typical of many of the Brethren groups. People were buried face down in tombs, so if baptism is a picture of burial then this is accurate.

Three times for Father, Son, Spirit. The cult United Pentecostals that deny the triune godhead baptize in the name of "Jesus only" (since Jesus was the Father in the OT, the Son in the NT, and the Spirit now - all Jesus) but they are totally whacked out doctrinally if regenerated at all.

I prefer to follow the Jewish formula in use since the days of Ezra. It is "self baptism" (or see baptism) with the individual in front of all witnesses and the congregation walking into the water, professing repentance and faith, and immersing in the water.

Caveat: This baptism is not "private" or separate from the authority of the Church. It is done with agreement and blessing of the congregation. We allow family, even friends to join in the waters (in river or in our case, a hotel pool) with them. Joyous testimony