1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptismal/ wedding ceremony combined ?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by covenant, Mar 9, 2005.

1. covenant

covenant New Member

My son (a Christian) is getting married in June to a wonderful Christian girl. The ceremony is going to be very,very small (under 50)and I'm delighted at the way that are keeping it Christ-centered in its simplicity. (No alcholic beverages, or dancing). Most of their friends and most of the family are Christians also.

He has never been baptized, however, I am not sure about her. There is discussion about a baptismal service in conjunction with the marriage ceremony being held also. I have never heard of this being done, however I really think it is a wonderful idea. Yet, I have no scripture either for it or against it. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

I think it's an interesting idea. I saw one wedding at which the bride and groom took communion together--I thought that was appropriate.

Yet, if he gets baptized before the ceremony, he's gotta change again. Unless he wants to go into this with cold feed . . . [​IMG]

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see no reason to combine the two. As a pastor I would not do it. Baptism is a special event and should be stand-alone.

I think it a very odd request and cannot see motivation.

4. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Some people are married as a part of a church service. If that particular church service includes the baptism of one or more individuals, what could possibly be wrong with that? The more Christian and less barbaric a wedding is, the better I like it.

[​IMG]

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been to some wild ones ey Craig?

But, I understand being of Italian heritage.

[​IMG]

HankD

6. csmith

csmith New Member

Nothing wrong with it. If it can comfortably be accomplished, enjoy it. I think you should baptize the couple just before they are presented to the waiting congregation. That way, when the rice is thrown on their wet heads it will stick. :rolleyes:

7. covenant

covenant New Member

8. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

I personally would not do it...

Baptism is an ordinance given to the church, where the focus is (or should be) on the redemptive work of Christ....The "outward sign of an inward change" due directly to the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord; done in direct obedience to Him.......

Marriage focuses on the couple (and rightly so..)
    Baptism focuses on our Lord Jesus...

I think that combining the two would detract from the meaning of baptism...

Just my opinion...

9. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

P.S.

Covenant, Tell your son congratulations....

My prayer is that he and his wife receive blessings beyond measure, and that they serve the Lord together for many years.... [​IMG]

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Baptism is an ordence, given by Jesus to the church, it is an act of obedience and worship. The marriage ceremony is neither.