1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Church Performance

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Justin Davis, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Justin Davis

Justin Davis New Member

Greetings fellow believers!

I have a question that I hope the pastors out there can help me with. I am a professor/researcher at a public university and am currently researching the entrepreneurial nature of pastors and how this influences the practices and performance of the church as a whole. The obvious problem is how do I measure church performance?

While I think we would all agree our purpose is to share the gospel, resulting in new believers, what other measures do pastors use to analyze their church's performance?

So, if possible, please tell me how you would measure church performance in your church. Maybe list the top 3 or 5 measures in your church home.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Justin

2. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Maybe you should post this topic in the pastors forum?

3. Justin Davis

Justin Davis New Member

Great idea! Thanks, I'm new to this...can't you tell? haha.

4. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

I am not a pastor but to me a sign of an effective church would be a GODLY one.

I am happy to say that for 23 years I was under a pastor (he died 6 years ago, he was pastor for 35 years) who before he died and even now, had a church that never had any decentions, that I know of, the people were Godly, you didn't have people sleeping with other people. I am surprised to hear so many churches having sin issues within their congregations, not ours. you had parents raising children who went on to become missionaries or some kind of service for the Lord if not marrying into it. You have people who REALLY know their bibles (thanks to his excellent expostiory preaching) and were able to share God's word effctively with the unsaved. We are in a very transient area so people do come and go for business reasons. our church is very ethnically diverse with everyone getting along.
    There is real joy and a kind spirit with a family oriented attitudes to everyone in the church. And above all it is a SAFE church were one will not feel judged-saved or not.

to me all good signs of a successful healthy church. a church of about 350 people

5. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Frenchy, no sin issues at all? Sounds perfect. I'm sure you just didn't know about problems behind closed doors.

6. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Rachel, as far as I know no one has committed adultry, at least not with anyone in the church. we are all sinners. There was one time along time ago where a women in the church ran off with another man, the issue was brought before the church she wouldn't repent and was asked to leave. We have had people who had sex before they got married who were asked to ask for forgiveness before the whole church. stuff like that.

you never hear of sin being delt within churches any more, maybe why so many are having so many problems in this area. the example of the deacons wife who wrote about the two people in church having an ongoing affair for a year and half is unheard of in our church. people sin of course, if it is found out it is delt with immediately. more than likely the reason there isn't ongoing problems or ongoing sin within the church. The preaching was such that you are held accountable to God and others. Again it is still a very SAFE, NONJUDGMENTAL, HEALTHY, GODLY, FAMILY orriented church.

I would hope this isn't that rare?

7. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Sounds good Frenchy. [​IMG]

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Many churches, mine included, see only 30-40% of their members regularly involved in congregational life.

One which has a large percentage involved would get my attention.

Perceptive outsiders can also sense if the members love each other just by attending a worship service or two and observing. Such a church is also usually unified.

Tom B.

9. Justin Davis

Justin Davis New Member

Thanks Frenchy and Tom for those comments. Tom, I think that would be an excellent measure to use. It is very difficult to find a way to actually measure these issues. As Frenchy noted, a successful church is a Godly church (and I agree wholeheartedly). However, it's hard to measure that (from a researcher's standpoint!). Finding ways to capture that performance is difficult! Thank you both again for your comments.

10. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Tom very good point, one I forgot to mention. we have just as many show up on Wed. night service as we do on Sunday night, which is a lot. these are your more involved faithful ones.

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Willow Creek Community Church observes the FIVE "G"'s OF MEMBERSHIP before someone is accepted into church membership.

Grace… Growth… Groups… Gifts… and Good Stewardship.

I think these could also apply to a church's performance as well.

Rob

12. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

sounds a little legalistic wouldn't you say?

a membership class and interview with those willing to be members and baptism should be enough. no one has to "prove" their Christianity to be part of a church. glad I don't go to a church like that! i grew, gave,fellowshiped and exercised my gifts because i was part of the body/family already, not HOPING to beome one. a person following that procedure will do what it takes to get in and once in quit.

13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Willow Creek legalistic??? [​IMG]

"The Five G’s are five distinct areas of one’s life that will be touched—and formed—over the life-long journey of Christian spiritual formation. Each of these areas increasingly takes on unique characteristics of a life devoted to Jesus.

And while they reflect maturing relationship with God in general, they are particularly indicative of one’s involvement in the life of the local church. They are the basis upon which we build our understanding of being a Participating Member."

CLICK: FULL DEVOTION

Rob