1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Church's Catholic Education Ministry

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Southern Baptist church in Virginia embraces a Catholic school operating out of its education wing as a "ministry of the church":

fredericksburg.com

website of Baptist church's Catholic school:

The Summit Academy

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do like this on the FAQ page:

Will uniforms be required?

Yes. The school has a standard uniform for students. The primary reason for a dress code is to simply coincide with the fact that we are embodied beings and that our presentation of ourselves speaks to our sense of mission. The dress code is designed to both instill and articulate our purpose and professionalism. We should carry ourselves with a sense of pride in our work and mindfulness that we are representative of the culture that we seek to build at The Summit Academy.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Catholic parochial K-12 schools have had uniforms for as long as I can remember. I lived across from Sea of the Sea from Kindergarten through 1st grade. Then, we lived down the road from Good Shepherd. The boys wore cardigan sweaters (blue or red depending on the school, white shirts, and salt and pepper corduroy trousers.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like a Baptist church wants to hide behind the Constitution to get around building regulations.

We had a similar case several years ago. A Baptist church with extra educational space allowed a Christian (but not Catholic) school to move in. It insisted that the building codes for schools (including a fire suppression system) shouldn't apply because it really wasn't a change of use — even though a school consisted entirely of children meeting several hours every day instead of both children and adults meeting for a couple of hours a couple of times a week.

It lost.

Why a Baptist church would want to house a Catholic school (except to collect rent, which apparently is not the case) is beyond me.I doubt many Catholic churches would allow a Baptist school to set up shop in its building.

The school claims to be "an independent Christian school and we seek to fully affirm the Lordship of Jesus Christ in our mission, pedagogy and all that we do. We adhere to the authority of Scripture and profess the Nicene Creed which affirms Trinitarian doctrine and the salvific work of Christ’s death and resurrection. While our school is and will remain an independent Christian school our leadership and governing documents specifically recognize the apostolic and teaching authority of the Catholic Church on matters of doctrine, interpretation of Scripture and human ethics and morality."

I'm not sure how any Baptist church could live with the last sentence — or how a Catholic school would allow "separated brethren" to sit on the board of directors.

This looks like a school that wants to have its cake and eat it too — and the church is willing to go along. I have no problem with a single-sex school that wants to focus on academics (and Latin and Greek!) but it and the church should just abide by the regulations and not offer a special pleading.

#4 rsr, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017