1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Crossing Themselves in Prayer

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Kiffen, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I really enjoy Ken Collins Worship website. One of the interesting articles is "How to Cross Yourself". He even notes that some Baptists cross themselves.

http://www.kencollins.com/how-01.htm

I have known Baptists who wear collars and even liturgical vestments, Genevan robes etc....but not crossing themselves. It would not surprise me however in that Baptists are a very diverse community. I have absolutely no problem with the practice in that it goes back to the 2nd Century and the symbolism of crossing is powerful.

Personally I like the symbolism in the Eastern Orthodox practice of crossing more than the Western practice (Roman Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, and a few other Protestants) but that is just me. [​IMG]

Back to the topic. Do You Know of any Baptists who Cross themselves? Just a curious question to this forum of diverse Baptists.

2. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

When my underarms itch and my nose runs. at the same time.

3. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

Do you do the Western or Eastern mode of it? [​IMG]

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I don't cross myself because my Lord and Savior is no longer on the cross.

Hallelujah!

5. mioque

mioque New Member

About half of the members of my church are former Roman Catholics, so yes plenty.

6. delly

delly New Member

I'm with you on this one, Sue.

7. I Am Blessed 24

I went to a RCC church AND school and crossed myself at least a million times during my growing up years and it didn't get me one step closer to Heaven...

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Don't think I know any that do so on purpose ...

9. natters

natters New Member

It doesn't get you any farther away, either. [​IMG]

10. I Am Blessed 24

If you're not getting closer to Jesus - you ARE getting farther away.

We do not have a 'stand still' faith...

11. natters

natters New Member

So potlucks and handshakes get us farther away from Jesus?

12. I Am Blessed 24

What on earth are you talking about??? :confused:

We don't go to potlucks and shake hands thinking that will get us to Heaven!

Making the sign of the cross is a 'religious' thing and when I was in the RCC, it was something one HAD to do.

13. natters

natters New Member

I'm talking about custom and tradition. If someone thinks crossing themselves will get them closer to heaven, of course they are wrong. But if someone doesn't think that, but instead does it as a custom or simply a reminder of what Christ did, there's nothing wrong with that. We Baptists put crosses on our pulpits, our Bibles, our bumper-stickers, our necklaces and so on. If one views crossing themselves in a similar fashion, there is nothing wrong with that.

Some Baptists kneel when they pray. Others stand when scripture is read out loud. Others say grace before meals. Others light candles during advent. These are similar actions in my opinion.

14. mioque

mioque New Member

Cross bumberstickers are simply tacky, our head preacher has a bumbersticker on his car that reads:" I only break for Jezus.", now that's class ;)

15. Saveferris

Saveferris Guest

"I went to a RCC church AND school and crossed myself at least a million times during my growing up years and it didn't get me one step closer to Heaven..."

You can read the Bible your whole life and never get once step closer to heaven either. I have several agnostic and athiest friends who are far more familiar the scriptures than many Christians I know. The sign of the cross is symbolic and ancient used by Christians for nearly as long as there have been Christians. Tradition has an appropriate place in the life of Christians.

While the use of the crucifix is another debate it is not used by Catholics et.al. because they believe Christ is still dead and hanging on a tree somewhere on the other side of the world. It is used as a reminder of what He did do for us 2000 years ago lest we forget and opt only to remember that he was also raised and ascended into heaven. The Christian heritage is not all warm and fluffy and the Apostle Paul taught us about suffering. It is not done without purpose by the Christian, but instead is offered up (Colossians 1:24). The crucifix can be a reminder that we are not alone when we suffer.

16. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

Then you are protestant, we are NOT!!

17. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

Don't understand that. Baptists are protestants.

Back to the subject.

Saying don't cross myself because my Lord and Savior is no longer on the cross. is irrelevant to the subject. No Christian Church denies the Resurrection be they Catholic, Protestant, Eastern Orthodox etc...Luther himself defended and encouraged the practice as a reminder to us that we are saved by Faith Alone in Christ Alone.

As has been stated the practice of crossing oneself is a ancient practice that predates Roman Catholicism and was practiced by Christians as early as the Second Century as Tertulliam notes. So it is not a Catholic thing and the majority of the World's professing Christians practice it.

We could get on the subject of "Prayer Circles" in Baptist Church worship which has it's origins in Druid religion that no doubt was Christianized over the centuries or even the practice of "Raising hands". Raising hands while certaintly espoused in Scripture is probably not done in the same way as Ancient Judaism did it by us today.

The key things is that there is freedom in worship as long as that worship is done in Spirit and in truth and does not violate scripture.

18. mioque

mioque New Member

Plain ol' Ralph
    "we are NOT!! "
    '
    Who is we?

And more importantly do I smell some envy towards a church that actually has an effective outreachministry towards unsaved Roman Catholics?

I think I do :rolleyes: [​IMG] :D

19. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Thank you for this exellent post! And thank you also to the rest of you who defended the body of Christ rather than take shots at it.

[​IMG]

20. I Am Blessed 24

I was simply stating why I did not 'cross myself'. I have no objection if others want to do it.

It may not be an RCC 'thing', but that is where I learned it, so I was speaking out of my own experience.

I also think there are saved and unsaved catholics, just like there are saved and unsaved in any other denomination. I DO think, however, that the number of the RCC's saved is considerably lower.