1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Deacons

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marcia, Jul 12, 2005.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

In ALL strands of Baptist churches, deacons are actually functioning not only as elders, but de facto as the entire deliberative community themselves. That is, the deacons in their "meetings" basically rule all aspects of church life, getting only symbolic (if even that) approval from the congregation at members or business meetings.

We have little to no Biblical ecclesiology in Baptist life when it comes to this area in particular, though not exclusively.

2. atestring

atestring New Member

A true servant does not need a title to serve.
    A true leader does not need a title to lead.

Every church has Servants (deacons)\
    Every Church has leaders (elders)

3. mioque

mioque New Member

My own church distuingishes between Ouderlingen (Elders), dominees (Pastors) and diakenen (deacons).
    Purely a holdover from the early days of our church when everybody with any previous experience at Christianity in it was a former member of the Dutch Reformed Church and nobody seems to have noticed that things were done differently in baptist circles.
    Despite a move towards a stronger Biblical orthodoxy in the past 15 years (adopting headcovering for womwn among other things) the 3 office structure of our church hasn't changed.
    I blame politics, but I'm certainly not complaining. After all if my church was reorganized my job might end up being included among the functions that have to be done by a deacon. I'm a woman, that would end my employment.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good observation Tom,

I've seen this in my church particularily as we deal with church discipline.

The deacon board is used as a small congregational body since attendence by every member is never attainable (in fact the full membership would not fit within our structure).

The members of our church have voted to have a represenative group (rather than a fully democratic assembly) to deal with most church issues. The pastors and deacons have to be careful not to overstep the bounds of reason when making decisions for the whole body.

Rob

5. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

At the last two SBC churches I've been a member of, the deacons really did act more like servants. They were men of good example and reputation, and they had to perform more duties than regular members. Every week, a new one had his name and number in the bulletin and was to do any of the regular calls in between his normal work schedule. They also had to arrive earlier than everyone else and coordinate greeting, ushering, security, etc. Anyone else in SBC churches with experiences similar to mine?

Cheers, Bluefalcon

6. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

I'm a member of a Southern Baptist Church. They have no elders, just deacons and they have no term limits. They can go on in that office until they go home to the Lord or they step down.

The pastor does not serve as an elder.

I have never been a member of a church where deacons did not have term limits.

Has anyone run into something like this?

7. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

I'm a member of a Southern Baptist Church. They have no elders, just deacons and they have no term limits. They can go on in that office until they go home to the Lord or they step down.

The pastor does not serve as an elder.

I have never been a member of a church where deacons did not have term limits.

Has anyone run into something like this?