1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Denominational differences

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I am new to this particular forum. I am sure this has been answered many times over, but to get me up to speed could each of you with different Baptist groups please explain the differences between your group and mine? Specifically on doctrinal issues.

I am SBC, conservative.

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hello Phil, I am with the Seventh Day Baptist Church, the main differences with the SBC being the Sabbath obvioulsly, and the Congregational style of organisation.

I think that the closest group to the SBC are the Six Principle Baptists.

3. rbnd

rbnd New Member

4. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are: Sovereign Grace Bible Baptists; independent, missionary, landmark, local, visible: we belong to no denomination, convention, association or synod.

There are a lot of things out there called Baptist. How can that be? Beware of wolves wearing sheepskins.

Selah,

Bro. James

5. rbnd

rbnd New Member

Bro. James,

In regards to Sovereign Grace Bible Baptists:

1. What do you mean by 'missionary'?

2. What do you mean by 'landmark'?

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We've been asking that question for some time now . . [​IMG]

Brief history: Since the founding of our nation, Baptists have been in small regional groups. They met every 3 years (Triennial Convention) to deal with missionary support.

In 1845 the majority of Baptists agreed NOT to fund any missionary with slaves. Almost all the Baptists below the Mason/Dixon line formed their own group to support missions/schools, etc.

By 1920 liberals in the northern group would not return to its basic evangelical doctrinal roots. Groups like the General Assoc of Regular Baptists and Conservative Baptists and Fundamental Baptist Fellowship broke away.

The southern group saw the problem and answered with a strong Baptist Faith & Message (statement of faith). It's been revised in 1963 and 2000 and it is top notch. Some fundamentalists left like the Baptist Bible Fellowship and Southwide Baptist Fellowship. But overall, Liberals lost. So SBC is still relatively strong, while the losing libs just are forming a Cooperative Baptist Fellowship.

Think numbers like 14 million SBC, 3 million other Baptists will keep groups in focus.

[ October 19, 2004, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: rsr ]

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I have a fairly good understanding of Lanmarkism, but I think "missionary" is a shibboleth that, in current circumstances, means nothiang defineable.

Among the black churches, it still seems to mean something. Among the predominantly white churches, I don't think it does.

Interestingly, the Baptist Missionary Association of America still holds to the New Hampshire Confession, which is the grandfather of the BF&M.

8. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Missionary=we are not "Hardshell", i.e. anti-missionary. We support missionaries-- carrying the Gospel to every creature. Specifically: we preach in Thailand, New Guinea, and Romania. We also preach right here--"in River City". About thirty of us meet three times weekly to worship, pray, reprove, exhort, rebuke, and share benevolent activities.

Landmark=an identifiable object with an x-y-z coordinate in time and space to establish direction--in the religious sense: directions to the unadulterated Truth.

Selah,

Bro. James

9. rbnd

rbnd New Member

Bro. James,

So by 'landmark' do you basically mean 'conservative'? We do not have Landmark Baptists in North Dakota. I remember studying them some in seminary but what it meant in history may not be the same as what it means in the present, specifically in your church.

10. mioque

mioque New Member

"In 1845 the majority of Baptists agreed NOT to fund any missionary with slaves."
    "
    Interesting detail, apparently there weren't any slaveowning baptist missionaries out there at that time.

James
    "we preach in Thailand, New Guinea, and Romania."
    "
    Your church is funding the missionaries mentioned in the first post of this thread?
    http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/4/1957.html

11. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Bro. James, How can this be true? You just said you are Baptist. That's a denomination.

12. rbnd

rbnd New Member

pastorjeff,

There are 'Independent' (big 'I') Baptist churches which are not part of a denomination, and there are 'independent' (small 'i') Baptist churches which are part of a denomination. Being 'Baptist' refers to a set of beliefs, not a denomination.

13. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Baptist is a denominational title. You are refering to circles, conventions or fellowships. If someone asked you what denomination you were you would say Baptist. Denominations are what make the distinctions in our Christianity. If I see a mennonite church I have a good idea of what they believe. Although with independant churches it can vary to a greater extent on doctrine, you are still part of a denomination.

14. rbnd

rbnd New Member

pastorjeff,

As the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary states, a denomination is:

"A religious organization uniting local congregations in a single legal and administrative body."

Therefore, since Independent Baptist churches are not united in a single legal and administrative body, they are not part of a denomination.

The term 'denomination' refers to a form of church polity, and that is all. This same form of church polity is rejected by many Baptists.

The 'United Baptist Convention' (a ficticious name) would be a denomination, while the 'Independent Baptist Church of Timbuktoo' would not be part of a denonimation.

15. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I stand corrected [​IMG]

16. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank-you. Someone has been using the same paradigm as the undersigned. There are some "Baptists" who are not denominated.

The reason this seems to be so arguable: many "Baptists" have the universal, invisible church paradigm which came out of the the "Protestant Reformation". They think all Christians are either Protestant or Catholic. True Baptists deny a connection with either, spiritually or otherwise. And they will surely tell anyone who will listen that they are not "Protestant". They have been protesting (peaceably)(get "the rest of the story" about Munster) since day one. They have never forced their beliefs on any one.

Sorry if this seems a little convoluted. It is really simple: True Baptists are not a denomination nor are they Protestant.

Selah,

Bro. James

17. mioque

mioque New Member

"They think all Christians are either Protestant or Catholic."
    "
    And that is wrong 'cause Christianity comes in 4 broad movements Catholicism, Protestantism, Eastern-Orthodoxy and Oriental-Orthodoxy (yes I'm claiming all baptists are protestants).

"They have been protesting (peaceably)(get "the rest of the story" about Munster) since day one. They have never forced their beliefs on any one."
    "
    I certainly want to hear the rest of the story about Münster from your perspective.

18. rbnd

rbnd New Member

Bro. James,

What do you mean by 'Sovereign Grace'?

19. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sovereign Grace=The King gives Grace to whom He pleases. Examples: Noah, Israel, the elect.

Run a word study on "election" and "predestination" in a concordance and read all the references.

Selah,

Bro. James

20. rbnd

rbnd New Member

Ben W,

You stated:

"I am with the Seventh Day Baptist Church, the main differences with the SBC being the Sabbath obvioulsly, and the Congregational style of organisation."

Since the SBC has a congregational style of organization, are you saying that the Seventh Day Baptist Church does not? And if not, then what?

You also mentioned:

"I think that the closest group to the SBC are the Six Principle Baptists."

What do you mean by this?