1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptist Doctrine of the Resurrection of the Dead

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Clearly you don't pay attention!
    I have not once defended Darby. In fact I have distanced myself from him. That is why I quoted to you Isaac Watts. Dispensationalism started well before Darby. I have told you time and again I have never read any of Darby's books. Why would you associate me with him? :rolleyes:

I have also reiterated many times that, yes, I am a dispensationalist. But I have never, never, categorized myself into a specific kind of dispensationalist such as you want me to.
    You are like the Calvinist who must label all non-covenantalists as dispensationalists after their groupings. The Calvinist typically labels all non-Cals as Arminians. You have the same mind set. You want to put me in a box of your liking where I don't fit. I follow the Bible, not man's teaching.

You really don't know what I believe because you are too busy quoting the beliefs of others to find out what I believe.

Let's get some things straight.
    One doesn't have to intertwine and confuse different threads of doctrine.

There is the doctrine of last things called eschatology. That has nothing to do with dispensationalism. It is separate.
    Then there is dispensationalism.
    Then there is the doctrine of the resurrection entirely apart from the above two, although it has some relevance to the doctrine of eschatology, in that our resurrection is still to happen.

These are separate doctrines.

My wife used to be Presbyterian before she married me.
    She was pre-trib and pre-mil, but not dispensational.

There are those on this board that are dispensational but not pre-trib.
    Some are mid-trib and some are post-trib.

Chiliasm is Millennialism, and many of them believed in a rapture.
    They were dispensational in their thinking. That cannot be denied.
    Search it out. This has already been demonstrated to you. You simply flat reject it. It is a denial of truth.
    Links to this evidence have been posted before.

Remember:
    A dispensationalist is simply one who recognizes that God deals differently with people in different ages or economies. (Enns).
    --With respect to all your learned sources, that is all a dispensation is.
    Work with it.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Your problem DHK is what is called "reading comprehension"! You do not comprehend what you read. Try again in my previous post. I did not say you defended Darby. I said you had defended Darby's epiphany and subsequently a systematic doctrine of dispensationalism. I have made the case, as have others, that Darby is the "grand puba" of dispensationalism; that means he invented it. You have defended dispensationalism for years. Now just because you are ignorant of the history of dispensationalism, since Darby's revelation around 1830, and the subsequent contributions of Scofield, Chafer, Ryrie, Ironside, Gaebelein, Walvoord and numerous others don't blame me!

In all honesty DHK I don't care whether you 'fess up to being dispensationalist of whatever stripe. I am pleased to see that the partial or Progressive Dispensationalist, for which Chafer expresses contempt, are moving to a Biblical position regarding the Church and Israel. As I noted in my post #59:

"Watts calls Israel “the church,” proclaims the “church or nation of the Jews” to be a “type or figure of the whole invisible church of God,”

"Watts argues that God has rejected Israel as his people because of their sin and has replaced them with the Christian church."

"The church, according to Watts, inherits all of the promises God made to Israel, albeit in spiritual form"

I believe this is the direction that the partial or Progressive dispensationalists are moving.

:laugh::wavey::laugh::wavey:

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

One can lead a horse to water but he can't make him drink.

Again:
    A dispensationalist is simply one who recognizes that God deals differently with people in different ages or economies. (Enns).

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.scribd.com/doc/11248105/The-Real-History-of-Dispensationalism[/FONT]

That is a history of dispensationalism as we know it. If you are honest you will accept it.

Remember:

You need to accept this whether or not it agrees with your theology.
    --You can mix into dispensationalism ccovenantalism, the rapture, two different resurrections or one general resurrection, or anything you want.
    That doesn't change the fact that it is still dispensationalism.
    --A dispensationalist is simply one who recognizes that God deals differently with people in different ages or economies. (Enns).

4. OldRegular

5. OldRegular

I understand it is harder to make a small donkey drink than a horse!

God has always dealt with mankind through Grace. This was initially demonstrated when God killed an animal to make a covering [an atonement] for the nakedness, which represented their sin,. God gave the initial promise of the redemption of mankind in Genesis 3:15. That has not changed and will not change!

The information presented in the link other than that related to Darby and Scofield really has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with classic dispensationalism. None of these earlier writers [those prior to Darby] believed there was an eternal distinction between Israel and the Church which Ryrie calls the sine qua non of classic dispensationalism. Therefore they are not dispensationalists like for example, MacArthur, or Ryrie, or Chafer, or Scofield, or Walvoord, probably you and Dr. Bob! And don't forger Beameup!

You call Watts a dispensationalist. That is utterly false given what the Classic Dispensationalist proclaims today.

It is foolish to call Watts a dispensationalist when he clearly believes that Israel is the Church in its Old Testament form; a type of the New Testament Church.

Your favorite author Paul Enns writes admiringly as follows:
    So you see how foolish it is to call Isaac Watts a dispensationalist. I understand it is harder to make a small donkey drink water than a horse!

NO! You remember:

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

[​IMG]

7. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

And that supports dispensationalism how?

Just give it up DHK. If this was a boxing match, you'd have been KO about 4 pages ago.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

One can't discuss anything without a common definition:

Again:

Until OR is willing to accept that the entire discussion is all in vain. I challengened him weeks ago: Did God deal with Adam (speak to Adam) in the same way that God now speaks to you? He dodged the question and wouldn't answer. He knew where it would lead.

The fact is that we must recognize that God deals differently with people in differeent ages. That is dispensationalism stripped down to its basic core.

That is what Scofield believed; Isaac Watts believed and even many of the ECF believed. That is what dispensationalism is, nothing more, nothing less.
    As long as OR won't accept common definitons any debate is useless.

It is like denying the commnon defnition of the trinity, the virgin birth, the depravity of man. One cannot have a discussion on these topics unless one first agrees on a common definition. OR doesn't.

9. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

That is not the common definition of dispensationalism and you know it. It is inaccurate at best to say that.

Nor does this response answer how Irenaeus' quote supports dispensationalism.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Watts is a Dispensationalist. Who said anything about "Classic"?
    We don't have to adhere to your terminology, or the kind of dispensationalism that you define.
    Again:

As long as Watts fits into that defnition he is a dispensationalist. And he certainly does.
    You lose.
    What does Watts believe:
    Again:
    Perhaps someday you will get it.
    You quote selectively, just like you refused to quote a portion from your own link about Watts, where the author said that Watts outline of dispensations was more like Scofields than Darby or anyone else's that preceded Scofield.
    You quote selectively, out of context what you want to quote, making the author contradict himself. That is dishonest and deceitful.

You should be ashamed.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is a common definition of diapensationalism. That is all it is.
    A dispensation is a period of time. That is all a dispensation is.
    God works in different ways through different ages, yet still in grace, through periods of time or dispensations. That basic truth is taught in Heb.1:1,2.

12. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

No that is a lie. The one guy that you are trying to hammer may have said that, but that is not the common definition of dispensationalism. That is patently false.

Yes God works in different ways or through different means. Everyone agrees to that. That is not all there is to dispensationalism, otherwise we are all dispensationalists. Nonsense. Also, scripture never says that God works through "dispensations" ever. He works through covenants. It is not in scripture.

And you are still ignoring my fundamental question about the Irenaeus quotation.

13. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I just pulled a couple quotes from the first page of results when I Googled dispensationalism definition. While yes there is agreement that it means God works in different ways at different times (though that is twisted in the system too), that is by no means the "common definition" and nothing else. That's pure fantasy.

14. OldRegular

DHK, That is false and, even worse and most sadly, you know it it is false.

The word dispensation does not appear in the Old Testament.

The word "dispensation" appears 4 times in the KJV New Testament and is the translation of the Greek word "oikonomia: and means:
    That same Greek word is translated "stewardship" three times. The pertinent Scripture are:

Luke 16:2. And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.

Luke 16:3. Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.

Luke 16:4. I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.

1Corinthians 9:17. For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

Ephesians 1:10. That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

Ephesians 3:2. If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

Colossians 1:25. Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;

The NASB translates the word as follows:

Luke 16:2. “And he called him and said to him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your stewardship, for you can no longer be steward.’

Luke 16:3. “And the steward said to himself, ‘What shall I do, since my master is taking the stewardship away from me? I am not strong enough to dig; I am ashamed to beg.

Luke 16:4. ‘I know what I shall do, so that when I am removed from the stewardship, they will receive me into their homes.’

1Corinthians 9:17. For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me.

Ephesians 1:10. with a view to an administration suitable to the fulness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things upon the earth. In Him

Ephesians 3:2. if indeed you have heard of the stewardship of God’s grace which was given to me for you;

Colossians 1:25. Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God,

DHK, You are taking liberties with Scripture that are not yours to take!

Hubert Baker

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We hold that the Lord has superceded.rendered the Old covenant as being null and voided out now by the much superior New Covenant, so no continuation between the two!

rather , One was for national Isreal, but that is now done away with by the new One!

Do you think God replaced isreal with the Church then? or that the Church received all things promised to national isreal?

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your sources are a joke.

Dispensationalism is a system of theology that has two primary distinctives. 1) A consistently literal interpretation of Scripture, especially Bible prophecy. 2) A distinction between Israel and the church in God's program.
    http://www.gotquestions.org/dispensationalism.html

Although the above is true it ignores the basic definition of dispensationalism. It describes it but not defines it.

Originally Posted by Desiring God
    Dispensationalism
    It can be hard to summarize dispensational theology as a whole because in recent years multiple forms of it have developed. In general, there are three main distinctives

--Not looking for a summary. There is no definition here.

3. Dispensationalism is a system of prophetic theology.

In short dispensationalists are those who believe in the pre-tribulational rapture of the church.

Dispensationalists emphasis the teaching of prophecy and the imminent, at any moment, return of Christ.
    --This is patently false. Many dispensationalists are not pre-trib, and I think you know that.

Your other source is from theopedia, a ultra calvinistic source.
    Originally Posted by Theopedia
    Dispensationalism is a theological system that teaches biblical history is best understood in light of a number of successive administrations of God's dealings with mankind, which it calls "dispensations." It maintains fundamental distinctions between God's plans for national Israel and for the New Testament Church, and emphasizes prophecy of the end-times and a pre-tribulation rapture of the church prior to Christ's Second Coming.
    --However, it has it partly right.

Dispensationalism is a theological system that teaches biblical history is best understood in light of a number of successive administrations of God's dealings with mankind, which it calls "dispensations."

That is the basic definition that I have given, that Enns has given. The rest is simply an elaboration of how it developed after that: more description.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The definition I have given is not false; you just don't accept it.
    Neither does: trinity, depravity, Christology, and host of other theological terms. I suppose you don't believe in those either.
    I see you parrot what someone else has already said.
    Everytime you use trinity or depravity you take liberties with Scripture that are not yours to take. :rolleyes:

18. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Dude. Does your quote button work? This thing's a mess.

Regardless. "Got Questions?" gives a very good definition of dispensationalism. Again, it "is a system of theology" that stresses a literal interpretation of scripture and demands a distinction between Israel and the church. You disagree because it contradicts you. Considering Got Questions is dispensational that speaks volumes.

Same with the Desiring God article.

Since when is Theopedia "ultra-calvinistic"? What does that even mean for that matter? And really, what does it matter? There are dispy Calvinists you know.

You seem to miss a major theme among these sources. That dispensation not only stresses these so called "economies/administrations" of time, but also a fundamental distinction between Israel and the church.

Also, saying the idea that a system of different administrations or economies is the same as the general idea that God simply uses different means through time is laughable.

19. OldRegular

DHK you are a real piece of work and that is putting it mildly.

The fact that the word "trinity" does not appear in Scripture is irrelevant in this discussion. The word dispensation does appear in the KJV New Testament. It is a translation of the Greek word which means administration of a household or stewardship. Yet you have made up your own definition thinking it justifies your inane attempt to debate on this Forum.

#99 OldRegular, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    did the New Covenant supercede the old one, or was it merely a continuation of it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.