1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist History Online?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael D. Edwards, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Michael D. Edwards

Michael D. Edwards New Member

Hello all:

I'm starting to study Baptist History. I was wondering if anyone had really excellent resources on a variety of aspects to Baptist History.

Thanks
    michael

2. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome Mr. Edwards!

If you are looking for on-line resources as the title of your thread states, peruse the various threads on this forum. They are littered with links! Also, you can get a wide spectrum of answers on any history question you may have about Baptist from this board. If it's Baptist history that you're interested in, you just found the best resource on the web IMO.

Look forward to seeing you around and may God bless you.

- Clint

3. Kellisa

Kellisa New Member

4. Michael D. Edwards

Thanks...I'll take a look around these forums a bit more in detail. It's a seemingly overwhelming task to reconstruct this history accurately. I am trying not to just pick up books of other people's research, but do my own.

Thanks!
    Michael

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'd check out <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>The Baptist Reformation by Jerry Sutton; <LI>A Hill on Which to Die by Paul Pressler; <LI>A Quiet Revolution by Ernest C. Reisinger & D. Matthew Allen; <LI>Polity: A Collection of Historic Baptist Documents by Mark Dever.[/list] :cool:

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: TomVols ]

6. J.R. Graves

J.R. Graves New Member

7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Hall of Church History has a pretty varied and delightful set of Baptist Church History links - John T. Christian's Did They Dip, excerpts from John T. Gill's Body of Divinity, Adams' Baptists Only Thorough Reformers, and several variations of Baptist succession or the lack thereof.

8. Michael D. Edwards

thanks so much all for the welcome and links. I have enough information to last a while, browsing there.

My most difficult decision, still looking at this all from a bird's eye view, is the best process for getting at it all.

Do I try to begin at Christ and work to now, or in reverse? I'm leaning toward the first!

Thanks
    Michael

9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Michael, I don't know that there is a right way to do it. I have done like I do with genealogy - start from the present and work back.

10. Michael D. Edwards

Well, in thinking on doing it that way, I then find the BBF, the SBC, the GBC, on and on and on. I guess that would mean most of the work is here and now? There are so many national Baptist Groups! How unfortunate really, when you think about it. So, aNY MORE ideas?

Michael

11. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Michael, for your purposes, the reverse may work best. Start with the New Testament church and work toward today. What I am doing is somewhat different than what you are attempting. In fact, most of my research is stuck in the "here and now", because I am studying, identifying and categorizing Baptist subgroups such as you mention.