1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Hymnal Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Kiffen, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

My Church is a very traditional Baptist Church in singing primarily traditional hymns as well as doing responsive readings every Sunday. We are going to replace our old Hymnal - the 1975 Baptist Hymnal (Convention press). We are looking at two Hymnals - the 2008 Baptist Hymnal (Lifeway) which is a blended hymnal of traditional and contemporary and In Spirit and Truth Hymnal (Bogard Press) which is traditional but with some changes. Are there any other Hymnals available that contain primarily traditional hymns? Any recommendations will be appreciated.

2. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bible Truth Music has a great hymnal
    Majesty Music also has a great hymnal as well.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If this is the one edited by John R. Rice, one needs to know he rewrote the lyrics to some of the hymns. In particular, the words for Silent Night are not the same as traditional and customary ones.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it is the one edited by John R. Rice, and I did not know he had edited some of the lyrics.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The latter has added some excellent recent hymns, like "His Robes For Mine."
    Our church uses "Living Hymns", (Striving Together Publications), nearly all traditional hymns, plus some 20th century hymns and choruses. I think the most recent is mid 1970s - "Rejoice In The Lord" (which of course is in the Majesty Hymnal as well.)

7. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I still like "Inspiring Hymns" compiled by Alfred Smith the best. Great lyrics for the most part, easy to sing along with in the keys played in.