1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Baptist Identity" Articles by Nathan Finn

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Rhetorician, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all who love who we are and how we got this way:

I am posting a blog page of Nathan Finn's "Baptist Identity" articles. Dr. Finn teaches at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (SBC). He is a good friend and colleague of mine I am proud to say. I post these for information only and to further your knowledge of who we are and how we got here.

You need not comment if you do not want to do so. But if you see something you have not seen before it may pay all of us if you will come back and comment.

I think you will find this very interesting. FYI, Enjoy!!! :applause:

http://timmybrister.com/2011/08/26/nathan-finn-on-the-gospel-and-baptist-identity/ or

http://www.nathanfinn.com/2011/07/11/the-gospel-and-baptist-identity-introduction/

"That is all!"

#1 Rhetorician, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011
  2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Dr. Finn's articles are helpful to me because they reminded me that we share common beliefs and practices with other faith groups, and Baptists are not the only ones who believe what we believe.

Even so, we have paid more attention to our differences than our similarities. And that fact has limited our cooperation with those other faith groups. And I suggest that those limitations are warranted to some extent.

I have heard the gospel preached in Methodist churches, Presbyterian churches, charismatic churches, and others. I have been comfortable in my worship in those churches.

But there are a number of reasons that I don't go to a Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran or charismatic church each Sunday (and Wednesday). One reason is that I believe that my Baptist church teaches Biblical truth and practices Biblical ecclesiology. And if Baptists are right, then they are not. And the areas where I believe they are not cannot be relegated to the "secondary" category.

They are, in fact, tests of fellowship. And unless we agree, we cannot consistently walk together.

To be sure, I count many of those of other faith groups as brothers and sisters in Christ. In the right circumstances I can gladly fellowship with them and worship with them. And I can certainly join with them to stand together on some social issues.

But there are some doctrinal and ecclesiological differences which I fear are fatal to any successful cooperation in evangelism, missions and other outreach efforts.

Otherwise, we will have to simply set aside much of what we believe as unimportant. If we're willing to do that, we might as well be Methodists, or whatever.