1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Landmarks around Boston?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by RevZach, Jun 17, 2011.

1. RevZach

RevZach New Member

I'm going to be in Boston later this month with some time to kill. I know that there are some significant Baptist landmarks in Massachusetts (a plaque where Judson et. al departed, for one), but I'm wondering about in the city limits, as I will probably not have access to a car... I realize that it would make more sense to rent a car and drive down to Providence or Newport for this, but my pockets of time to kill are not huge, so even if I rent a car, it would be for a shorter trip.

Does anyone know if there is any kind of marker in Lynn Massachusetts, where Obadiah Holmes was whipped?

What else might I look for in Boston? I'm a Calvinist, so I supposed I'd be interested in Puritan history too, but I'd rather see the Baptist stuff...

Thanks!

-Rev. Zachary Bartels
    Pastor, Judson Memorial Baptist Church

2. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting history stuff: surf the internet for "Diary of Remember Patience Whipple Endicott". She wrote about her adventures of crossing the Atlantic on the Mayflower in 1620. She survived to see her great, great grandchildren in the New World. She was 12 years old in 1620. There should be a lot of pilgrim stuff in Boston, also north and south along the coast. Getting "the rest of the story" about Salem witch hunts would be an interesting dig too.

Another search: what happened to the church of 37 souls which was onboard the Mayflower in 1620? They were fleeing religious persecution. They had Geneva Bibles--another interesting dig.

Be safe,

Bro. James