1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Mentoring of Future Pastors

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 2, 2004.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Moderator note - this question was originally asked by a non-Baptist member who of course is not permitted to post in this forum. At the advice of an adminstrator I am re-posting his quesyion so that Baptists may reply - even though the poster may not take part in the discussion. The thread so far can be read here:

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/28/2748.html

Hello all! What's up? I live in Dallas, TX, and am wondering if the Baptist do any mentoring of future pastors? I don't have a home church here yet, so I am not commited somewhere. I am fixing to start my last semester at Christ for the Nations, and am considering going to Southwestern Assemblies of God University or The Criswell College because they both have a pastoral Cirriculum. While I don't hold to all the Assemblies of God doctrine, niether am I 100% baptist(but mostly). I just wonder if this is available, because it would mean a lot to me if it were.

Thanks,

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Formal education is a great asset to the pastor. But the day-to-day mentoring of a pastor to a young associate would be ideal.

Our church is doing this. Our young man graduated from Bible college, but woefully unprepared. He is working with the pastor (part time, part time secular work) to learn about real life of a pastor.

Another 4 years and (prayerfully) seminary and he may be fit to pastor. Or may to into fulltime secular work.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Mentoring during seminary should be mandatory. Sadly, the urge to get a job to try to have the lifestyle of a non-seminarian wins out, and time that should've been spent in study/mentorship is spent on the job.

4. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

I think it is sad that hardly a preacher wants anything to do with seminary students. Many of those who do only want to have bragging rights that they have a young whip under them. They brag to their friends that they are such wise preachers that students flock to them and they use the ignorance of the young students to boost their own look of acquired wisdom.

5. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

oh and not to mention some of the preachers who refuse to mentor young preachers for fear that their congregation will flock to that young preacher, full of zeal, over them. A Saul/David relationship.