1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptist Pastor embraces Book of Mormon

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rob_BW, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Not really, any other book, medium, message claiming to be truth is already a false gospel, and no researching need be done to come to this conclusion.

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe I should have been clearer, but the snippet that you quoted was in response to the question posed to me as to why I thought this pastor was theologically off the rails. Anyone that cannot see that there are contradictions between the Bible and the BoM needs to go back and spend more time studying the Bible.

I presumed the portion of my post where I said that the "BoM is just another in a long line of uninspired, wannabe additions" would have made my feelings on that book apparent.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Internet Theologian

My post was advancing your thought, not attacking it.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

In 2012, evangelicals flocked to support a Mormon candidate for President and gave every reason imaginable to justify it, while seemingly ignoring that our endorsements would look like tacit approval for the lies of Mormonism.

The Billy Graham Association removed Mormonism from its list of cults.

So in essence,to the general public, is Ridenhour embracing the Book of Mormon any different than evangelicals embracing Mitt Romney for President?

He's proclaiming that Protestant doctrine and the Book of Mormon go hand in hand. Evangelicals said things like "we're not electing a pastor but a President" but would then proclaim Romney's values and morals to line up with our own.

However, seemingly not very many evangelicals who publicly spoke about it thought it would matter that folks who proclaim to love Jesus would dare support, to lead the country, a man who totally rejects Jesus.

So I take less issue, though issue nonetheless, with one pastor embracing The Book of Mormon than I do with millions of evangelicals embracing a Mormon for President, and by default Mormonism and what it entails.

When you do things out of God's order, chaos ensues. There will be more souls lost to hell because of our unrepentant sin on this issue, all because we wanted to win an election.

Saying that we're okay supporting someone who rejects Jesus Christ as President does the same type damage as George W Bush telling the world that Christians and Muslims worship the same god.

So again, Ridenhour is just continuing the foolishness that many evangelicals opened the door for during the 2012 Presidential election , of which many STILL have not repented.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is "embracing" a jew and/or agnostic for elected office any different than renouncing christianity?

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's not a Baptist pastor; he says he was licensed by an SBC church in 1965 and was a pastor in the '70s but became involved in the charismatic movement. He also was a member of the LDS church for a while after that.

"Our ministry purpose and direction, from that time on, took a drastic turn. I no longer pastored Baptist churches, but became heavily involved in the charismatic renewal. That does not mean that I left my Baptist roots. I still embraced those cardinal doctrines such as the born again experience that Baptists are so fond of proclaiming.

"That's primarily why today I refer to myself as a Baptist minister. The longer I am around the restoration movement, the more I'm convinced the experience of the mighty change of heart is not preached. Many, I believe, have never been born again but who are active within the restoration movement. They lack that personal relationship with the Lord. That's not a criticism but an observation.

"I also still refer to myself as a Baptist minister because I am a Baptist minister. I have never been X-communicated. They have never revoked my license. To be perfectly exact, however, I refer to myself as 'charismatic Baptist.' For most Baptists do not embrace and practice the spiritual gifts. I do. Another thing--since the mid-eighties, my wife and I have been heavily involved in the house church movement. Some refer to it as 'cell churches.' We strongly believe in a plurality of eldership leading a local group of saints."

He also claims to have had ancestors in the mob that drove the Mormons out of Missouri; he went to Salt Lake City to apologize on their behalf.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Internet Theologian

Wolf in sheeps clothing.

8. gemurdock

gemurdock New Member

Many people are not equipped to deal with cults and many baptist fall prey to Mormons. I have engaged the Mormon community many times. They are very well educated people and pleasant people to be around.

Be careful, they are like quicksand.

9. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I encourage people to check out Dr James White's videos on Mormonism. He is maybe the most well-known person out there dealing with Mormonism.

He said something to the effect that witnessing and debating with them should be because they are lost and that you want to share Christ with them. If all you want to do is argue and puff up your ego, then don't even try. Think about that.

I will say this: the few Mormons I know personally are the nicest hard-working folks I know.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. gemurdock

gemurdock New Member

This is true, I have utilized to him many a times. He tries to stay true to both Christianity and the other religion rather than build straw men to take down and does a fine job of it.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Book of Mormon is purported to be a record of the ancient inhabitants of the Americas, which were uninhabited until the migration of a family of Jews who, according to the record, were instructed by divine revelation to construct ships according to divinely inspired plans to sail west to escape the conquest of Babylon. The family stayed below in the ship or ships (it's been a while since I read the thing) and God guided the vessel(s).

Upon landing upon the shores they received instructions from God and began to multiply. Two major nations sprang from the first family, the Lamanites and the Nephites, named for two sons of Lehi, the patriarch of the family, Laman and Nephi. The Lamanites were wicked, and God cursed them with dark skin. The native Americans are the remnants of the Lamanites. The Nephites were righteous for longer and remained white.

After Christ's Ascension in the Eastern Hemisphere, He descended upon the Americas and began his earthly ministry all over again. He came to the whites, and chose the twelve most righteous among them to be his Apostles, and they traveled around preaching mostly to the Nephites. There was no second crucifixion, but Christ left them by ascending from a mountain top. After a while, the Nephites became very wicked, but instead of changing their skin, God allowed them to be completely exterminated by the Lamanites, with the exception of three who were spared physical death, and still, from time to time, are reported to appear to the faithful.

From the time of their arrival until the extermination of the Nephites, the faithful had been keeping a book and adding to it from time to time until it's final redaction by Mormon, who was also one of its last contributors. The book was hidden in what is now New York to keep it safe from the corruptions of the Lamanites, until it was found and translated by Joseph Smith.

#31 Aaron, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the only argument against its inspiration is the belief in a closed canon? Puh-leez!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mormons figure prominently in A Study in Scarlet, the first Sherlock Holmes story.