1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptist School Loses Third of Faculty

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes I totally agree. :thumbs: Our churches should follow same path for any person who teaches or leads even the choir or serves on any committee or is a regular paid employee of the church.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One Georgia pastor doesn't share your enthusiasm for the policy. In fact, he is apalled by its low standard:

From the state Baptist paper:

http://www.christianindex.org/8064.article

Shorter Needs Stronger Stance on Alcohol
    Doug New, pastor, Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church, Carrollton, writes:

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

[SIZE=+0]I certainly agree that the schools standard falls short, but it is higher then most churches and certainly many Christians so for that I applaud that school. [/SIZE]

4. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Boy, the liberals will have a hey day with that pastor's statement about "If it’s wrong in public, and it is, then it’s wrong in private"

There are some things done in private that should never be done in public; i.e., marital relations. Is the pastor advocating the cessation of marital relations to be consistent?

Probably not.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My church uses grape juice for communion and I know most churches do the same so this wouldn't be a problem.

It does address it. "where students are likely to be present"

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. It's quite alright for certain things in their proper place. I wouldn't wear my bathing suit to a restaurant for dinner. I wouldn't dance around during the sermon at church. If I drank, I wouldn't partake when it is not appropriate. :)

7. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

I am dead set against bathing suits... in a restaurant or othewise.

The Word of God tells women they are to be attired modestly. No such thing as a 'modest bathing suit'.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I would not wear a bathing suit except in the presence of my spouse. To be honest I have never seen a modest one yet that was store bought and modesty does not end at the beach or start in a restaurant or at church.

In the case of this school they did a good thing. Yes they could have went further and done better, but what they have done is far batter then what moist churches are doing.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Praise GOD! :thumbs:

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

At our church, we have a somewhat similar contract for all employees, volunteers in leadership and deacons.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is good. :thumbs: I pray more do the same thing.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - but let's keep it on topic. The bathing suit was a passing comment. If you want to talk about bathing suits, I'd be happy to - in another thread.

13. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Does not a clause such as the OP describes give authority to man to determine what is and isn't sin in the life of their faculty/staff/students? Doesn't this put the college's dean's etc in the place of a high priest when scripture tells us we no longer need such a thing?

(btw, stuff like this is the reason I refused to go to "Bible" college. It is one thing for *me* to decide if something I do or don't do gives the best representation of Christ in my life. It's quite another for someone else to insist that I do or don't do something for the same purpose. Scripture gives quite a nice and concise passage on what the fruits of the Spirit are. God gives us the Holy Spirit for a reason. We need to quit getting in His way!)

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No, what it does is show how Chrsit meant the church to work. What you are describing is exactly what the world holds to. They do not want anyone to tell them what is right and or wrong. Each one want to decide for themselves with no one over them. The church is set up by the Lord and He is the One who made us responsible to one another. No one is without accountability to the rest who are part of the church. Any desire apart from that stands against His authority and is sin.
    That school has a system of authority set up and they decided how to enforce it. What they required does not violate anything in scripture and the only ones in that school who it angered were those who were not surrendered to Christ and His authority. We were never intended to be an island unto ourselves while we use the Spirit as our personal scapegoat. The school made a good choice and that choice got rid of some bad weeds. It was a win, win situation and God has honored it by doing the weeding.

#94 freeatlast, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012
  15. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I quit commenting on this thread, for the most part, but wanted to give you the thumbs up for this. Well said.

16. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

(Bolding by me for reference)
    To answer the bolded question; no, it does not. I will explain more in the next answer.

To answer the second bolded area; they aren't deciding what will be the best representation of Christ. A Bible college has rules and regulations so that you will be the best representation of the college, not of Christ. If the head of a college wants his faculty to act a certain way, to represent the college a certain way, he absolutely has that capability and authority to do so without over stepping his bounds. If he said, "Anyone who works here will always wear a blue shirt in public" or "All faculty must have their name embroidered on their socks" he would STILL be within his bounds. It is a job. A contract between an employer and an employee. The employer can make whatever rules he wishes. If the employee doesn't like it or doesn't agree with it, they can quit, or never sign up in the first place.

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I want to say is....

....your propensity to use this forum as a foundation to judge others, is as much a personal vice on your behalf as drinking may be a vice on anothers behalf.

Get a life, Fred, there are people who need to be saved, and it would best for you to use your time leading the unsaved to Jesus, and teaching them your brand of theology - i.e., DO NOT DRINK - then to try to force feed your opinions and views on another, in order to get them to see it your way.

And NO, I don't drink, but I see drinking as one more vice that God will deal with in His time [not yours or mine]. You can't brow beat, or guilt trip another into believing as you do, because it is just a waste of your time and theirs.

Good day. Shalom

18. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

But yet you just attempted to brow beat Fred to believe as you do.

19. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Ah! Well if that is the case I definately made the right decision to go to a secular school! Cause if a college that claims to train people for the ministry of Christ doesn't have Christ as the center of who and what they represent, I don't want anything to such hyprocrisy. No wonder the world laughs at us.

20. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Matt...

...Long time since I've heard from you. Hope you are well, and enjoying your week. I also hope you were blessed with Pastor Dave's message yesterday and the services, in general. BTW - how's the weather looking there in Jacksonville? Our week looks to be sunny and in the high-70's to mid-80's here, with no rain in sight.

Well, I must move on; I have more important things to do than kibitz with you about the weather, but I did want to say hello and let you know that you are not forgotten. I pray for you daily.

Shalom,

Your Cyber Friend and Brother,
    RD2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.