1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Top 1000

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by jRich, Nov 18, 2001.

1. jRich

jRich New Member

Whatever happened to Baptist Top 1000? All I get on my pages is a 'image not found' thingy. Ugly, but if BT1000's coming back, then I'll leave it. If not, it's coming off? Anybody know anything about it?

2. ATeenageChristian

ATeenageChristian New Member

I know I get the same thing. It is so strange. :confused:

3. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Note to all webmasters: Do not ever consider hosting your site with CI Host!

Right now they hold my domain hostage.

They deleted my entire site, did not have any backups to restore it, and 4 weeks later they hold my domain hostage (they won't authorize any transfers to another webhost) until I sign an agreement that I won't sue them.

Can you believe it?

4. jRich

jRich New Member

Was there a disclaimer on their site when you signed up that they weren't responsible for lost data or information? If they do, you're stuck. Otherwise, you could just go ahead and let the domain expire (it'd be kind of a long wait, since you registered it untill 2003) and re-register it. If they simply re-register it themselves, you could at least get baptisttop1000.net or something. You'd have to start over, but at least you'd get to keep the name. :rolleyes:

5. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

I work with contracts on a daily basis. It's not the contract that bothers me. It's their attitude and practices.

For instance, their terms specify that they only offer a discount for the month when they do not meet the 99.9% uptime guarantee. So let's suppose their servers are down for 20 days. They'll give you back 50% of webhosting fees for that month. But how many websites can survive 20 day downtime? Can eBay? Yahoo? etc.? I don't think so.

And the idea of holdig a domain hostage must be the absolute rock bottom in terms of integrity and ethics.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, Network Solutions does it all the time.

If you read their "fine print" when you register a domain name with them, you'll find buried way down deep in there that they claim proprietorship of your domain name, even though you're paying for it.

Make the agreement, webmaster. Get Baptist Top 1000 back up. If you need help (computer, monetary, or otherwise), let us know; I'm sure there are enough supporters here that a plea for assistance would not fall on deaf ears.

7. jRich

jRich New Member

It won't matter if we have to re-sign up or if we don't get the username we originally had... as long as Baptist Top 1000 comes back!!! Also, once you do get control of the domain again, you might think of reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. It's not suing them, but it's probably the next best thing. [​IMG]

8. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Thanks.

I receive dozens of emails from concerned webmasters saying that their traffic dropped significantly since Baptist Top 1000 went down.

Baptist Top 1000 will be back up! And maybe sooner than later. Maybe by next week.

As you may know, most of Baptist Board's first time visitors came through Baptist Top 1000. Also, most of Baptist Mail's new members came through Baptist Top 1000. I know that most registered webmasters would say the same . . . so CI Host cannot hold a ministry hostage!

9. jRich

jRich New Member

I say AMEN to that!!!!!

10. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Baptist Top 1000 is back up again!

11. jRich

jRich New Member

I thought they said they lost everything... and yet it's still there. Interesting... :confused:

12. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should we re-submit our url and info? The logo re-appeared but so far the page is blank. Please inform us.

- Clint

13. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jRich:
    I thought they said they lost everything... and yet it's still there. Interesting... :confused:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's correct, they deleted everything. But miracles do happen [​IMG]

My old webhost (in Hungary) had an older version with some user info (still over 1,000 registrations were lost) so it appears that the site is back.

All users who registered while Baptist Top 1000 was hosted by CI Host will have to reregister as their registration is completely gone.

14. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

At the time the site was deleted, Baptist Top 1000 has almost 2,000 registered sites.

Of the 2,000 maybe 550 appeared in the ranking on the daily basis as the other did not receive any hits the previous day. (How is that possible? Well, some webmasters placed the code on their link page only and their link page received no hits - other simply did not receive any hits.)

Right now there are about 700 registrations and about 425 appear in the ranking today.

I wish I could notify all the webmasters whose registration is lost. Unfortunately, I can't since their entire profile is lost.

15. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Webmaster -

I figured I would take this opportunity to thank you as a webmaster for such an excellent resource as the Top 1000. I keep a counter on my entry page for first time visitors but Baptist Top 1000 is my counter for daily traffic through the website. The resources on the Top 1000 list are very good and I have obtained numerous links through that URL list. Also, my entry page counter shows many of my hits come from Baptist Top 1000 and there was a noticable drop while the site was down. I am very grateful for this unique service.

- Clint Kritzer
    Webmaster,Fork Union Baptist Church

16. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Thanks. I'm just glad the site is back.

17. jRich

jRich New Member

I like the new design. I was wondering though, is there some way that members of BT1000 can serch the site using their website and find out their ranking for that day? Also, how often are the hits [per day] updated?

18. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jRich:
    I like the new design. I was wondering though, is there some way that members of BT1000 can serch the site using their website and find out their ranking for that day? Also, how often are the hits [per day] updated?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks.

1.) We have the technology to display the daily ranking below our counter-logo on each site with an image file). The problem is that it requires a lot of additional bandwidth. (40,000countsx2000bytesX30days = 2,400,000,000bytes/month.)

So webmasters would have to visit Baptist Top 1000 to see their ranking.

2.) The old site updated every 5 minutes. We're still working on the new one - but 30 minutes is a target for now. What would you consider ideal?

19. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

It does refresh every 30 minutes. Click on "Refresh" and you'll see the current version.

[ October 02, 2002, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: webmaster ]