1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist View of Drinking and Smoking

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Wrong by who's standards?
    I fail to see a Biblical warrant for the regulating of substances in the Bible.

Whithout Biblical basis, it is just your opinion which is no better than anyone elses.

What we DO see in the Bible is a responsibility of civil government to punish those who harm other, whether it is due to drunkeness or whatever.

So the Biblical answer to drunkeness and drub abuse etc it to punish those who harm others by their actions.

Something tells me that doing things God's way would be much more successful than the way we do it now.

2. Joe

Joe New Member

If you are comfortable answering, do you have children?

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes, I have one daughter. SHe is the one in the picture on my profile.

4. Joe

Joe New Member

Ok, that's what I thought. I am sure as a parent, you want to do the very best you can.

Here is a study in which the participants are her age (or very close). I first saw it on MSNBC on television.

"Parents who smoke or drink influence the behavior of their children at a surprisingly young age, the Associated Press reported Sept. 5.
    Researchers studied the behavior of 120 children ages 2 to 6 who were told to choose from 133 items to get a Barbie doll ready for a night on the town. The study demonstrated that preschoolers whose parents smoked were more likely to choose cigarettes as part of the ensemble, while those whose parents drank were more likely to choose wine or beer. Moreover, children who watched R or PG-13 movies at home were five times more likely to choose alcohol.

Overall, 28 percent of the children chose cigarettes, and 61 percent chose alcohol. Those whose parents smoked were about four times more likely to pick out cigarettes, while those whose parents drank monthly or more frequently were three times more likely to choose alcohol.

Study participants were mostly white, and their parents were mostly college-educated. Study co-author Madeline Dalton of Dartmouth Medical School said parents who watched the study through a two-way mirror were often shocked at their children's actions. "It's a very humbling experience to be a parent and see your children mimic your behaviors," she said.

The study was published in the September 2005 issue of the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine."
    http://www.jointogether.org/news/research/summaries/2005/young-children-emulate-habits.html

#124 Joe, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2008
  5. Joe

Joe New Member

"Scientists in America have found that children whose parents were drinkers were more likely to become alcohol dependent than those whose parents didn't drink, and this also applied to adopted children who were raised by non-drinking parent"

http://www.gazettenet.com/parentguide/story.cfm?id_no=9160022

#125 Joe, Jan 2, 2008
  6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Joe, I understand your concern over drug and alchohol abuse but I disagree that strong legislation is the cure for the problem.

From what I can see and have read, the problems have only gotten worse with legislation.

Look what happened with prohibition. It was a mess.

If someones drunkeness causes someone harm, he should be responsible.
    Otherwise, it is not anyones business.

7. Joe

Joe New Member

Maybe I missed it, but where did we talk about legislation? You can ignore this question (if you choose). It's a can of worms, a broad topic. Could derail the thread.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Perhaps I misread your post. I do not have time to go back and read it tonight but I will try later.

Have a good evening and God bless you as your study His word!

9. Joe

Joe New Member

Ok I know what you are referring to now.

Thanks & God bless you too

#129 Joe, Jan 2, 2008
  10. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is past 10 pages and deteriorating, so it will be "drug" off the active list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.