1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist View on Gluttony, Lust, Etc.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, May 30, 2010.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Which is more likely to be alive today, a saber tooth tiger or a thin Baptist preacher?

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Nope. Sorry mitch. I may be more liberal that you, but it seems like 98% of the population is more liberal than you.

My wife keeps telling me not to argue with narcissists because they won't let you win. This is a good reminder of that advice.

#42 jaigner, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2010
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You have a reading comprehension problem. Might account for your posts that appear intellectually dishonest. From people on this board I have been cussed at. Sent vile emails and pm's. Had some research who I am on the internet. post vile curse words on my blog. Again all people from this board. So your little narcissist comment pails in comparison. But your welcome to all of them you want.

The fact remains your original post is intellectually dishonest. You failed to be charitable and managed to be quite divisive. So while your busy being the kettle you should consider your own request for yourself.

4. Mississippi John

I'll say a saber-toothed tiger........although I did meet one preacher who was very thin....he had a running obsession...almost an addiction, but I did not hold the fact that he wasn't fat against him.

5. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I realized years ago that if I pointed my finger at someone I had three pointing back at me.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Wow, what perception. Got any other words of wisdom?

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Actually, I've found that many Baptists are able to laugh at themselves and even acknowledge their own shortcomings and inconsistencies. I was drawing upon that spirit in my OP, which was not intellectually dishonest (no plagiarism, false accusations or fabricated details).

And you're a narcissist in the same way I'm a liberal. It seems like they're both the case to the other person, but since we don't know each other personally, there's no way to prove it. So if you keep assuming I'm some dishonest, conniving liberal, I'm going to keep assuming you're a narcissist, since you seem to accept your own opinions as the set standard and dismiss any other dissenting viewpoint.

I'm not here to insult, slander or bash. I'm not going to spew profanities at anyone. I'm here to peaceably discuss or debate without baiting or being intentionally and overtly incendiary.

And my reading comprehension is just fine. Always had pretty high marks in it, if I remember correctly. When you respond with one-word or very short sentences, there is not enough context to know conclusively to what you are referring. So, rather than assume meaning incorrectly, I ask for clarification.

So just make a good faith effort to be kind and generous in your responses. Calling me or my posts "stupid" and "idiotic" is hardly a step in that direction.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One small thing liberals like to do is to pretend that those who stand tall against things like homosexuality only care for those type issues to the exclusion of other things like "gluttony". It is a dishonest accusation because it intentionally ignores some other facts. The fact that there is a very strong movement in this country to teach homosexuality as being ok to our children in our public schools. Another fact intentionally overlooked in order to make such stupid statements is that there is a very strong movement to force people to accept homosexuality as good and normal through legislative means. And the fact that the impact of homosexuality is far far greater than what ever else you want to distract with.

So your silly little comment was neither humorous nor charitable and much more than that it was not honest. Ignoring other pertinent facts in order to be able to make a claim is dishonest. But your post is a common fallacy often intentionally made by liberals.

9. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

And narcissists are consumed with their own opinions and will not ever concede an argument.

Oh well. At least I tried.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was at a BBF preeeeecher's meeting a number of years ago in Douglas, Wyoming, and one (of the many) rotound preachers announced about the upcoming lunch. He quipped that "it doesn't look like many of you have missed a meal" (loud guffaws) and then added, "but I don't trust anyone under 250 pounds - figure they probably have AIDS" (raucous "amens")

I walked out. I had heard one sermon screamed at me as if I were a heathen and knew they had a couple more before lunch and it just wasn't worth it. Not my crowd. Pastor who had invited me finally left the church, too.

11. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

This should tell you something about youself!

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

All joking aside, I never gave much thought to my weight until after the bypass operation. I left the hospital at 213 and am now at 188. It seems to stay there. I exercise and have for the most part changed my diet. A lot of mine is heredity, as my mom died at 54 from the same thing.