1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist views of church-state separation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Jul 9, 2009.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Could you explain and give examples with references.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I cannot answer for CTB, but here is some expansion of my beliefs on the matter.

Our government is a separate entity from religion by design. Government should not be based upon any religion, including mine. We are a nation of many beliefs. Our civil government must remain neutral vis-a-vis religion.

That is up to the dictates of their conscience. However, their decisions should not be based upon religious dictates or dogma; rather they should be based upon our secular constitution.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

What else would you call it when their uniforms carried the slogan "God With Us"? Looks like acknowledgement to me.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You have no theological bearing. There is not one bit of liberalism in my body either politically or in Scripture. Your sentences and thoughts are fractured, incoherent, and make no sense. Your views are warped compared to liberals, conservatives, or moderates, because you have no idea where you stand. You are all over the map.

If you despise the founders so much, and the origin of our nation so much, there are one way tickets daily to any of the Arabic countries, China, North Korea, Iran, Russia, plus a few other choice spots. There, you would not have to worry about who founded America or the SBC.

You still do not get it. Everyone on this thread said basically America was founded on Judeo-Christian principles. That does not mean that each and every founder was theologically perfect like you, or agrees with you. It means what I have said over and over in posts and am not going to repeat it. And as usual, without logic, you pick out one of the founders, and attribute all his characteristics to all the other founders, and make all of them not Christian.

You accuse others of being liberal constantly in your posts. Yet, by your beliefs, if you have any, you advance the liberal cause on the very origin of our country.

Yes, the Holy Spirit works in the present as He did in the past. That has nothing to do with the subject at hand. Like I said, you have brought out all the imperfections of this nation, from founders, now to slave trade, and I will add the others, before you can. How the Indians were treated, and the Japanese Americans are shameful events in our history. We are a nation of fallen people.

The bottom line is you are free to leave, and take your advanced education documents with you. What have you ever done for this country anyhow?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Liberals calling others liberal. I guess they think it means something.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No not an extension at all. A rather sophomoric attempt to twist my words.

7. alatide

alatide New Member

Can you elaborate? What do you disagree with?

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

To assume Unitarians and deists are Christians is to assume they are saved and that is universal salvation.

9. alatide

alatide New Member

I absolutely agree with this statement. No nation is a Christian nation but we must ensure that the Christians in our country are not impeded in their real kingdom goals which are to have the freedom to worship God as they choose and to share the gospel with the lost.

10. alatide

alatide New Member

Well, let's fast forward to the formation of the "Holy Roman Empire" in which the Emperor Constantine declared Christianity to be the official religion of the Roman Empire. I think you'll agree that the founders nor anyone since then has gone this far in the United States. Was the Holy Roman Empire a Christian nation, in fact more of a Christian nation than America since Christianity was the legally supported religion?

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Apparently you are unaware that there are SBC missionaries in some the countries you named.

That does not make them Christians. Good ethical practices are in line with scripture too but that does not make the people Christians.

I just thought I would point out where you are a liberal just like you have labelled others as doing.

It has a lot to do with the subject at hand because I do not subscribe to dominion theology as I read about others who do. It is an important subject that has a lot to with how you view the importance evangelism and discipleship in conjunction with politics and what Jesus taught concerning those matters.

Seeing as how you asked: I came from a non-Christian home. I was the first in my family to become a Christian. Not one person I knew from high school who went to church ever told me about Christ or ever invited me to church. One of my friend's dad was a Baptist pastor too. Most of my family and relatives are Christians today. Many others are living for Christ today because of my life in the disciples I have made through the years. Some of them are pastors, missionaries, music leaders in churches, leaders of parachruch organizations, others are working a regular job and making disciples. How about you?

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would call it taking God's name in vain. It certainly isn't recognition or acknowledgement in the sense intended by Rev, nor by Solomon when he said, "in all your ways acknowledge Him."

Not surprised.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Well, one thing I have not spent my life doing is bashing the institutions that were either instrumental in my spiritual growth or freedom to express my opinions. Another thing I have not done is characterize people certain labels based on what I believe.

Also, before I post on a subject such as history or government, or the Gospel for that matter, I like to think I have at least a 12th grade level understanding of the subject.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

As I recall a few times you had named some others as liberals. So, are you suggesting that you are a liberal and calling others "libbies" and "liberals" means something?

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

As I recall it seems that in a few other posts that the very things you accuse me of, you have done the very same thing. So I thought I would have a little fun and point out some of your liberal theology. Perhaps in the future you might have a little consideration for others and debate the issues with some substance and references to support your points of view.

Others can evaluate your understanding by the substance of your posts. If your understanding is at a high level then you can easily debate the issue and stand with sound answers.

#115 gb93433, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
  16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How does your response fit in with Romans 13:1, "Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God."

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Read Rev. 2 & 3.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is part of the problem, you don't. I have no idea anymore what your definition of a liberal is, since your posts, especially on history and government are like a rudderless ship.

You are consistant on your opinion of the SBC, and that is the only constant I detect in your posts.

Liberal in relation to government is a departure from the way we are suppose to be governed. That would be the way we are governed today on one side, and the US Constitution on the other. Your line between liberal and conservative seems to move every time you post. Sometimes it is the line (like most on this board) between Democrats and Republicans. At other times, during a history or political discussion, you will define liberal as someone who does not agree with you 100% theologically.

The point is when you make unfounded attacks on the SBC, or attack how our nation was founded and attack the character of those who founded it, your actions reflect the very name you are calling others.

If it were just me, I would go back and rethink the situation. However, it seems as if many of your fellow pastors feel the same way.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You don't have a clue what your doing.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I take the position that a liberal is one who is not a doer of the word.

I agree but it has nothing to do with how I conduct myself. In fact in the most liberal areas of America I have had the most ministry because cultural Christians do not exist. The religious folks have their holy huddle and are ineffective. Their churches are dying. Name loyalty means nothing because people who want to grow want to fellowship with those who are growing. The people also see the difference and it is not just a ideological difference. In most places where I have done ministry people are skeptical of Christians until they see and experience a real one.

I take the position that if we did what Jesus taught and were doers of the word we would step on every political side and many churches. Politics today seems all about winning votes and money and that is supported by both sides of the theological fence. Take the lead on evangelism in your community and see how many followers you will have. That will be an indicator of who is more than interested in just an intellectual discussion.

Someone posted that America was founded as a Christian nation when it was not. I do believe the people were ethical and had religious roots. Whether or not America is made up of democrats or republicans will not change how I do evangelism or live for Christ. If our walk and talk do not agree then what good is our talk other than what Satan will use?

Personally I believe there are two many Christians making noise (when Paul writes to make it our ambition to lead a quiet life) rather than praying, doing evangelism and making disciples. Just look at the greedeaters asking for money on TV. What kind of a message does that send to non-Christians. There are two common threads I get from non-Christians about churches when I share my faith with them: the churches want your money and are made up of mostly women.

My wife and I were in a church for 14 years that modelled itself after George Muellers's life. They did not pass the plate for money and seldom ever preached on giving. There was always an abundance of leadership and money and they never owed anyone for anything. At the end each year everything was paid for. I told my wife once that I believed if anything happened to us the church would take care of us. We saw that kind of ministry going on many times while we were there. I remember when a young lady by the age of 18 had lost her entire family and was planning to go to college. The church paid for her education. By the time she graduated she did not owe anyone anything. A family in the church was helped to buy their first home by people in the chruch. Families who needed food and money were helped. There were times when an offering was taken up before the worship service was over to help a family. Every year there was a missions conference. Missionaries were invited to come and talk then. During that time they were given many new clothes and the doctors in the church gave them free medical care and the dentists gave them free dental care. That church started with four at the first service. Two were Christians and two were not. The two who were not became Christians and God used that couple mightily. He owned a concrete batch plant in the city. Toward the end of his life he gave 90% of his income to the church. The man who got me started in business gave 50% of his income to the church. ( I lived win his home for one year before I got married). When he died there were more people than the church would hold and people were standing outside and in the gym. Several businesses shut down during the service. The service lasted close to there hours. Person after person told of how God used that man in their lives. Those kind of people were my examples early in my Christian life.