1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Views on Astrology

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, May 29, 2010.

?
  1. There is nothing wrong with astrology

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It is harmless, and not something I believe with all my heart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It is a sin, and believers need only to trust in the Holy Ghost to lead their daily walk

22 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. Astrology is up to the individual

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is an interesting subject. For years, I could hardly wait to get my daily paper to read my horoscope and glean some interesting insight for the day before me. I also lived in the generation where it was common to ask another what their sign was, and tell them what your sign was in return.

However, a few years after my being born-again, I discovered that this was a sin, and I repented, and now the only sign I tell others I have when they question me is that my sign is "the blood-stained cross".

Please be candid in your poll responses, as you know no one can discover how you answered. I find this interesting because, in the years since I was convicted by the Word of God on the use of fortune telling through astrology, I have found a good percent of believers practicing this sin in their daily activities, not realizing, like myself, that it is a sin.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I sure wish you had put an "other" catagory.

Gen 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

In light of this verse, what I believe is that astrology began as a way to interpret the "signs and seasons" that God in His wisdom placed in the heavens. However as with everything this world what God gave us for good has been perverted into godlessness.

The tool isn't the problem, its the manner in which man uses it that is the problem. Horrerscopes (intended mispelling) and palm reading and the like only serve to give man a "run-around" instead of relying on the faith God gives us. As such, the modern study of "astrology" is nonsensical.

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I do not believe God intends for us to rely on astrology to guide our lives when the Holy Spirit is our Guide. I do occasionally read my horrorscope (spelling intentional) for a laugh. They read like a fortune cookie, which is another source of man's nonsense.

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Astrology is not the same thing as astronomy. Astronomy studies the stars and other heavenly objects. Astrology is more a belief that the stars are signs that indicate how we should live our lives, or "foretell" events in our lives. Big difference. I believe as Christians we should have nothing to do with the works of darkness, and astrology is certainly that.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

We can all understand if astrology is a hoax. That's one reason to ignore it.

But if there is something to it, then we have a bigger problem. Then we're dealing with the supernatural, and possibly demonic forces.

It's the same with psychic stuff, with tarot cards and ouija boards. I don't think we should blow them off as frauds.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "...let them be for signs, and for seasons..."

And they-- the stars, planets, and moons-- are that, in fact. If you can identify a certain point at which an outstanding star is at a certain time of a certain day in the year, you can count the days to discover how many are in a year. You see different constellations in the early night sky at different times of the year. And the tides, obserant persons noted in ancient times, 'follow' the moon. So the different seasons are 'connected' to the stars and the moon does, in fact, influence a worldly phenomenon. Fine. But then, according to human nature, the whole idea is carried further. That same flaw in human nature today can too often be seen in, for example, sports teams. A baseball player has only one dirty cap, and he has asked for a new one; then in the next game he gets 5 hits, and now refuses to quit wearing his "lucky" cap. Or a lot of teams have a picture of an old team hero on the locker room wall, and each player touches it as they go out to play the game. To make illlogical assocations and connections is IMO what accounts for many superstitions... plus, of course, the convenience of authority figures to see this and use it to their advantages. William of Normandy used an appearance of Halley's Comet to encourage his army that a kingdom is going to fall and, of course, he would become the conqueror to usurp it.

7. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm glad to see the unanimity. In this area. It is very clear this practice is contrary to God's word.